All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 07-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Review: Nokia E75 - Part 1: General Design and Hardware

The AAS review of the Nokia E75 may not be the first in the world, but it's hopefully the most insightful and comprehensive. In the first part the review, Rafe considers the hardware and general design on the latest Eseries device. There's a detailed look at the keyboard, musings on this cross-over device and much more. Part two will follow next week.

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-05-2009, 07:57 AM
nokiacraze

awesome review!!
the E75 is indeed a fabulous device
jus wanted to know whether it runs on a 600mhz processor

seems pretty good
Ads

Old 07-05-2009, 08:39 AM

snoyt is on a distinguished road
How does the TFT of the E75 compare to the OLED of the N85 in direct sunlight! I'd rather have decent performance anytime than good performance in dark places ;-)

Old 07-05-2009, 10:52 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile USB-Charging

I think the USB charging is due to a demand of the European Commission/Parliament last year , in order to standardize charging for all the different (Phone) Devices . As far as I know there is a gentlemen's agreement in between the different manufacturies . The advantage can be clear :
1 Inter-useability for divices of different make or brand
2 buying a device without charger ( there are already many at home )
3 competition in the charger market
4 less chargers to carry around
5 etc
Regards jApi NL

Old 07-05-2009, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

The bias of so many Symbian sites is a joke. The E75 is a rip off (they have the nerve to charge so much - for what?). This phone has no claim to succeed the E90 or E70. Nokia, I'll come back to you when you bring out a device that is an upgrade on the last, not a re-hash of your old phones. Somehow, I think that will be a while......

Old 07-05-2009, 11:45 AM

morpheus2702 is on a distinguished road
Maybe it's just me, but does there seem to be a real glut of coverage on the E75 on AAS?

Old 07-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Unregistered

The glut of E75 coverage is totally justified. It isn't everyday that a phone manufacturer brings out a QVGA phone with a sliding keyboard....

... most offer better than QVGA resolutions these days.

Hey, look at it this way... Nokia is like practicing the ancient art of QVGA smartphones. Or some nonsense like that. Maybe that could be their new slogan... Nokia: Overpriced but underfeatured.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoyt View Post
How does the TFT of the E75 compare to the OLED of the N85 in direct sunlight! I'd rather have decent performance anytime than good performance in dark places ;-)
In direct sunlight I'd rate the E75 as better. The trans-reflective screen works better. In general conditions there's less to choose between them. See also Steve piece on AM-OLED here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
I think the USB charging is due to a demand of the European Commission/Parliament last year , in order to standardize charging for all the different (Phone) Devices . As far as I know there is a gentlemen's agreement in between the different manufacturies .
Yes you're right the agreement is in place, though I expect the E75 was well in hand even before this. USB charging is almost certainly down to user demand first and foremost. Incidentally I'm not as bothered by this as some, but its definitely the better solution (especially once I have a few more USB chargers).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The bias of so many Symbian sites is a joke. The E75 is a rip off (they have the nerve to charge so much - for what?). This phone has no claim to succeed the E90 or E70. Nokia, I'll come back to you when you bring out a device that is an upgrade on the last, not a re-hash of your old phones. Somehow, I think that will be a while......
I think that's a bit strong. Remember that the E71 and E66 were 350 Euro when announced (E75 is 375 Euro). I don't think a 25 Euro premium is all that excessive when you consider the extra design elements (and improvements like camera, 3.5mm jack etc). By contrast the E90 was 750 Euro (yes twice as expensive). Prices go time over time and the E75 will be no exception that.

I did note in the review the controversial aspect or replacing etc., but would stand by what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus2702 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but does there seem to be a real glut of coverage on the E75 on AAS?
It's sort of inevitable when a new phone comes out. We do our best to spread things out. As it happens both Ewan and Steve have one on loan at the moment and I've bought my own. As you'll no doubt be aware this sort of content has a long shelf life - most of it reads will happen in the months ahead not in the next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The glut of E75 coverage is totally justified. It isn't everyday that a phone manufacturer brings out a QVGA phone with a sliding keyboard....

... most offer better than QVGA resolutions these days.

Hey, look at it this way... Nokia is like practicing the ancient art of QVGA smartphones. Or some nonsense like that. Maybe that could be their new slogan... Nokia: Overpriced but underfeatured.
Heh. We've talked about this quite a bit. I remember a very similar discussion in the 178 x 208 days. The thing is most people perceive QVGA as being good enough, but that doesn't keep top tier users happy! Usual stuff applies - no point unless you increase physical size too etc etc.

Personally would like to see high resolution screens. Symbian^2 has VGA support, so that should keep people happier end of this year / early next year...

Old 07-05-2009, 01:13 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
Great reply Rafe. Spot on.

I generally try to save my rants for something rant-able. I felt the underpowering of the N97 was something worth griping about but after talking to a Nokia friend and seeing one I can say that the 434 Mhz processor, while slower than a 600 Mhz processor is up to the task. Nokia has optimized and is continuing to optimize the code more and more. I feel that they could even release it tomorrow and it would be ready for most users but it will be 2 to 3 weeks more. Anyway, some people will vent no matter what in their quest for the perfect phone. I got over this fallacy a long time ago. There is no perfect phone nor will there be one. I can say that the E75 (trading from an E71) that I am going to get today, and the N97 that will come is about as close as anyone will get to a "perfect" phone.

Oh, how about not being anon when you post. Grow a pair.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Unregistered

Nice review

Thanks for reviewing the E75, sound interesting device, great review.

In my opinion, it will be mistake for Nokia to kill the E-90 communictor series as they were very and still powerful devices. The problem that the S60 software was poor for these devices.

Thanks,
Isaac
Israel

Old 07-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I felt the underpowering of the N97 was something worth griping about but after talking to a Nokia friend and seeing one I can say that the 434 Mhz processor, while slower than a 600 Mhz processor is up to the task. Nokia has optimized and is continuing to optimize the code more and more.
Well that's exactly the point really. 99% of users don't know or care what the clock speed is on the specs, all they want to know is whether they can open applications quickly.

S60 phones have got a lot faster over the past couple of years, they load most apps virtually instantly. Clock speeds have stayed pretty constant, so the speed boost must have come from other sources such as optimised code and increased amounts of free RAM.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by morpheus2702 View Post
Maybe the "5800" button got worn out on their keyboards.... ;-)

Old 08-05-2009, 09:04 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzer2 View Post
Well that's exactly the point really. 99% of users don't know or care what the clock speed is on the specs, all they want to know is whether they can open applications quickly.

S60 phones have got a lot faster over the past couple of years, they load most apps virtually instantly. Clock speeds have stayed pretty constant, so the speed boost must have come from other sources such as optimised code and increased amounts of free RAM.
Well I wish they would optimise the code for the calendar on the E75, it's dog slow, takes easily twice as long to enter a meeting than the E71, long pauses everywhere, and worse to edit, needs to be fixed in firmware sooner rather than later, it's frustrating.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 08-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Unregistered

Improvements

The main thing I'm pissed about is the indefensible lack of RAM in all of Nokia's phones; they have the habit of closing windows in the browser without informing you or refusing to open .pdfs or running slowly until you get the message that you need to close some apps to free up RAM!
It's all very well shouting about 32GB of flash memory plus expansion slot BUT if this is merged with the usual skimpy RAM and a *single-core* processor not clocked to it's potential, the performance will underwhelm.
This on an e90, I wonder what the lesser handsets are like!
The "Auto Refresh" on the Nokia browsershould qualify the idiot who mandated it for a "Darwin - award" inspired blasting!

For myself, I just pray that Nokia has the good sense to update e90 with
a Symbian Foundation OS and internal touchscreen (with configurable zoom for UI elements allowing choice of finger/ stylus navigation) ,
the same or more onboard flash ,
an AMOLED inner screen of at least 4.3 inches and WVGA 800x 480 pixel resolution
THE OMAP3 processor with the full Cortex 8 and other co-processors
372- 512 MB RAM with AT LEAST 256 MB available after bootup
the ability to configure apps to have user-defined amounts of RAM, plus "Demand Paging"
a WIDER, FLATTER device of up to 7cm width (i.e. same as e61/e61i) and less brick- like design, etc

Old 08-05-2009, 06:12 PM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
"It has been recently suggested that the next Communicator has been cancelled"

If the above is true than what a shame, shame, shame, shame and a colossal blunder by Nokia.

Memo to Nokia: please rethink your strategy regarding communicators and give the power users what they want. Or on we move to WM.