All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-08-2006, 12:34 PM

yidakee is on a distinguished road
canseco,

I have the exact same problem... Anyone have any suggestions dealing with Vodafone UK?

I tried calling them using voipbuster, since I am from Portugal, and I said my cousin bought it for me in the UK, and I am vodafone PT but the SIM wont accept. She asked me for the original number plus 19,99 and she would give me the code.

I have no clue what the original number is. I already contacted my ebay seller, but in case he doesn't come through, anyone suggests a plan B ?

thakzzzzz

Old 21-08-2006, 02:52 PM

SymbianUser is on a distinguished road
I have just got N80 but wanted to unlock my Orange Nokia 6600. Had same story from Orange that people have mention here but instead of waiting for all that I just went into a local phone shop and they did it on the spot for 10. Can't see why not for N80.

Carphone Warehouse (GB name - its called other things elsewhere) will not do it as policy but independents do. Also, if you buy SIM online, particularly to use in other countries, the supplier will often give you code as part of the deal. Happened for previous Nokia when I got Spanish SIM in GB.

Old 23-08-2006, 07:27 PM

pinksteady is on a distinguished road
I was told by Orange that they will supply an unlock code after I'd been with them for 9 months :(

As with all problems with mobile phone operators, the person on th eother end of the phone always has the power to do these things its just getting him/her to do it that is tricky! So lots of blagging is required I think! Get angry enough, or troublesome enough, think of some good excuses and don't get off the phone until you have your way - someone give it a shot and let me know if it works for them hehe

Old 11-09-2006, 11:09 AM

trunghieu22 is on a distinguished road
Hi..everyne

Does anyone know how to unclock n8o on 3 network can you please help me!!I have got a n 80 but it,s locked to 3 at the moment

Old 29-09-2006, 08:56 PM

Macedopm is on a distinguished road
Hi...i have 2 N80...Orange and Vodafone...can i unlock it?

Im from Portugal....i already buy SIM Card from UK VDF and UK Orange

UK VDF works in Portugal...but Orange not!!

What can i do???

I buy it as unlocked but it isnt!!

Old 17-11-2006, 05:24 PM

machinehead is on a distinguished road
Talking Everything worked!

its so easy to unlock it!!! i did everything as advised above. during the conversation with CSRep he told me that after the unlock code will be ready i'll get an sms with instruction to top up my balance with 20GBP - cost of unlocking. i was waiting 4 days and nothing was happening .was going to call again this morning and ask about the progress and imagine my surprise when i recieved letter with the unlock code in the mail this morning,saying that 20GBP was charged for unlock!code worked perfectly.mobile is unlocked now.and I WASN'T charged anything for it.call it lucky,call it Xmas or maybe these guys at Orange are just very nice guys!!! thanks for this thread!!!!!

Old 17-11-2006, 05:41 PM

WPKenny is on a distinguished road
I don't understand this whole unlocking thing. I was under the impression that if you requested an unlocking code from your network it was illegal for them to with hold it. So if they were to tell you it'll cost 20 quid to unlock it you'd be within your rights to tell them to stick the charge and give you the code regardless.

Seeing as you've bought the phone from them you own it and as such they must remove any network based restrictions at your request.

Maybe something's changed but a couple of years ago a colleague of mine was told he'd be charged to unlock his phone. He read them the riot act about how it was illegal and they unlocked his phone on the spot.

Old 17-11-2006, 05:51 PM

pinksteady is on a distinguished road
hmm interesting. I heard about a law that changed that required operators to unlock phones if requested, but I didn't think it specified that they had to do it for free, hence the £20 fee!

Old 17-11-2006, 05:54 PM

Cash is on a distinguished road
by law they only have to issue you with an unlocking code free and when requested if you buy a phone sim free or pay as yu go from them, because efectively you ar buying the phone outright, however on a contract you are not buying the phone outright because the network is subsidising the cost of the handset and so they are not obliged to release the unlocking code untill the contract is complete..

hope that clears it up for you ..

Old 17-11-2006, 06:19 PM

WPKenny is on a distinguished road
Yeah. I forgot to add that the contract has to be complete.

Would seem silly to sign up to another network if you're still having to pay charges to your old one.

So what I heard WAS correct?

Old 17-11-2006, 06:40 PM

well they dont have to give you an unlocking code if they dont want to if you are on a contract, but in reality I never heard of them not releasing the unlocking code, and you will pay a fee for this, its in their interest to release it because if they dont, when the contract is finished then I know I would move operator..

So ultimately .. on a contract they dont need to give you an unlocking code if they dont want to .. its not illegal for them to do this..its only illegal if you are on pay as you go and they refuse to give you an unlocking code..

Last edited by Cash; 17-11-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Ads

Old 18-11-2006, 07:15 AM

jedi134 is on a distinguished road
Hi, Im already an orange customer had have been for some time now I am out of contract with them, but still use my pay monthly sim....I have recently bought a N80 locked to the orange network.... Can I register my current pay montly sim with this phone and ask for the unlock code, or do I have to go down the pay as you go route. I want to use my phone abroad with a different sim.

Old 18-11-2006, 12:09 PM

machinehead is on a distinguished road
well i dont know about pay monthly SIM,but if you're not sure it really pays to get a pay as you go Orange SIM (from their website - its only 1GBP) and then register it with your phone just for the unlock purpose.it still pays as this is the only way of getting rid of the simlock from this mobile. in my case i bought my Orange n80 on ebay,then bought the Orange simcard,registered it with the phone just as advised in this thread for the sole purpose of unlocking it later.im sure its gonna work in your case.good luck!!

Old 18-11-2006, 02:18 PM

you can still request an unlocking code ffrom orange with your pay monthly number, you will just have to pay orange about 20 quid to get it...

You have the 2 options, one will cost you 1, and the other will cost you 20

Old 18-11-2006, 02:57 PM

jedi134 is on a distinguished road
So if I choose the pay as you go route they wont charge me 20 for the unlock code?? I presumed it would be 20 either way?