All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-03-2010, 10:32 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I thought it was a really strange verdict too considering the price of the phone and where it is pitched.

5230 = GPS/3G/2MP - no WiFi around £80

5530 = WiFi/3.2MP - no GPS/3G around £80

5800 = WiFi/3.2MP/GPS/3G around £140-£160

Logical segmentation in my opinion. Pick the one that suits your needs best. I know of people who have no access to 3G, but have WiFi available most of the time - applies to whole nations in some cases. There are others who also have 3G and cheap data plans available.

When critisising the 5230, it should be weighed against other phones at a similar price. Taking the lack of WiFi and a 2MP camera as a negative against the 5230 is like complaining because a Kia Ceed doesn't have split-zone climate control and head-up night vision display.
Thats oh so true, its a ludicrously well specced phone for the price, and it works incredibly well.

It does the basics perfectly well, and those basics are pretty good.

The camera isn't causing me any problems at all, in fact I've probably managed to get better/more creative pics out of the 5230 than I ever did from the N95 or N85.

Old 29-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Ye Olde Administratorium

Ewan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to beholdEwan is a splendid one to behold
Right then, letís address some of the points from the commenters:

gazza_d: Agreed re the wi-fi, you do need an internet connection to get the full benefit. IN terms of the cheaper plastic, it makes the phone incredibly light, and I liked the fact it felt disposable Ė I could throw it around for my time in America and never worried about it getting damaged. If it did, easy enough to get another.

hurlley: on the 3.2mp camera, we will always want more. i suspect this was built with keep the cost down as much as possible, leave space above for more models and strands. Hence 2mp. Ití;s the camera you have with you, and it takes memories. It does its job.

Pete: youíve got your answer on Mobipocket, I use the last 3rd edition version (N95) they made available.

unregistered: Why will it sell in the millions? Carriers will put it in the hands of millioins for increased ARPU, itís a music, GPS, video, camera, web, IM and email device at minimal cost. People will work around the quirks, as they do with every smartphone, no matter the cost.

unregistered: yes GP lock takes time, but I don;t see it faster or slower than comparable devices which likely have the same chipset in them!
-- Twitter: @ewan
Ads

Old 30-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewan View Post
Right then, letís address some of the points from the commenters:

gazza_d: Agreed re the wi-fi, you do need an internet connection to get the full benefit. IN terms of the cheaper plastic, it makes the phone incredibly light, and I liked the fact it felt disposable Ė I could throw it around for my time in America and never worried about it getting damaged. If it did, easy enough to get another.

hurlley: on the 3.2mp camera, we will always want more. i suspect this was built with keep the cost down as much as possible, leave space above for more models and strands. Hence 2mp. Ití;s the camera you have with you, and it takes memories. It does its job.

Pete: youíve got your answer on Mobipocket, I use the last 3rd edition version (N95) they made available.

unregistered: Why will it sell in the millions? Carriers will put it in the hands of millioins for increased ARPU, itís a music, GPS, video, camera, web, IM and email device at minimal cost. People will work around the quirks, as they do with every smartphone, no matter the cost.

unregistered: yes GP lock takes time, but I don;t see it faster or slower than comparable devices which likely have the same chipset in them!
Strange. Ewan now appears to be defending the 5230 against his own comments.

Old 23-11-2010, 12:32 AM

illinialumni is on a distinguished road
Mail for Exchange Problem...

If ANYBODY can help out with a mail for exchange issue. My wife just got a Nuron 5230 and we installed mail for exchange. It works great with her contacts and calendar and SENT mail, but after the initial sync it no longer downloads newly received e-mails on the server.