All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 11-02-2010, 01:31 PM

brrip is on a distinguished road
What a coincindence that this comes a week before the WMC next week. Clearly Samsung is trying to win back some of the disgruntled i8910 users. Well Samsung, you aren't fooling me. I've been using the custom firmware, and it's awesome to have 80mb free space on my C: without losing any of the inbuilt applications. But custom firmware can only be built upon the half-assed fixes you have made, and this is still not enough work on your part.

My next phone is definitely not going to be a Samsung. Back to Nokia it is.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:49 PM
Unregistered

Angry

I don't see any updates for me in India. Is samsung doing it region wise?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't see any updates for me in India. Is samsung doing it region wise?
Yes they are, and slowly. This Italian firmware is 3 or 4 weeks after we first saw this firmware released, possibly longer.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
I don't understand, Stuart. This firmware is clearly marked as 'February', yet you say it's been out for weeks elsewhere? How is that possible?

Old 11-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Unregistered

I think its time symbian adopts some iphone style of os drive management where the os could be as big as phone storage and there is no physical separation of storage areas.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:28 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
And perhaps Apple could adopt something that the rest of the world takes for granted, the ability to expand storage using a memory card.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
I don't understand, Stuart. This firmware is clearly marked as 'February', yet you say it's been out for weeks elsewhere? How is that possible?
i think (and i could be wrong) that Stu is referring to similar versions of the same firmware. There seem to be various 'regional' versions floating around. I, for instance, flashed a Russian version of the same firmware a few days ago.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

But buster, just having a microsd slots sometimes mean the phone can't garantee higher minimum storage. Yes having it is nice but not having it and having a bigger minimum standards is what allows developers to make programs with very very large apps.

But nevermind about 3rd party, even first party like Nokia and Samsung insist some programs to only use C drive.

If symbian had better management that the microsd could virtually be part of the internal storage or phones with seperate internal storage be seen as 1, isn't that better way?

Old 11-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
This firmware is JB1 - that indicates (in Samsung speak) year = 2010; month = February; revision = 1.

However, the modem and CSC (software) portions of this firmware release are JA1 (indicating January 2010). The PDA code, which is the Italian customisation, is the only part of the firmware dated February.

The actual code within the modem, CSC and PDA portions of this firmware (excluding the language and region specific application customisations) are ALL January 2010 releases and so dated.

... that's how and why this "February" firmware has been around for a few weeks now.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:11 AM
Dark_Angel_07

Unhappy

Also, it would be very interesting to learn how the hacked versions manage to have 80 MB free on C drive? Logically that would mean that some functionality is been sacrificed? If nothing has been, Samsung needs to learn from these guys, grab their hands on a hacked version and remove whatever bloat they have added...

To reply to ur post maleocks, THEY DON'T. Samsung just has WAY too many duplicate files on Z Rom, which eats up MOST of the C space (since it is shared with Z). And more importantly has only spend less than 2 weeks on this update, as shown by the bugs but were forced to release (as with many other phone firmwares) before MWC as scheduled. Samsung engineers r not interested anymore updating this device, and therefore just put no effort (don't bother cleaning up the ROM) in order to get paid!!!

Sorry, but that's the unfortunate news....

Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
But buster, just having a microsd slots sometimes mean the phone can't garantee higher minimum storage. Yes having it is nice but not having it and having a bigger minimum standards is what allows developers to make programs with very very large apps.

But nevermind about 3rd party, even first party like Nokia and Samsung insist some programs to only use C drive.

If symbian had better management that the microsd could virtually be part of the internal storage or phones with seperate internal storage be seen as 1, isn't that better way?

I believe that the type of RAM used for the C: drive is different, and higher performing than the expandable slot memory. If you stick gallery pictures on C:, they appear much quicker than SDHC ones. Having a C: drive is a link back to EPOC when assigned drive letters were included to give users a familiarity with their DOS/Windows knowledge. I honestly believe that there is an architectural constraint that is limiting the C: drive memory and there is going to have to be another generation of hardware, with a kernel change to accommodate a bigger C: or a single large partition.

Perhaps now that Symbian is open, we might find out.

Old 14-02-2010, 10:48 PM
Unregistered

phone donesn't anymore after data restored

hey guys, the 17mb free in the C drive just killed my phone... i don't know how to get it to boot. I updated the fw without any pb then restored my data but got the "not enough memory" message, then the phone restarted (as it does after every restore) but now it says "phone can't boot, contact your support".... i'm pretty sure it's because it lacks memory now that i have restored my data...

anyone can help me do a reset of the phone? cause i can't even get it connected via USB to reflesh it. please
Ads

Old 14-02-2010, 11:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hey guys, the 17mb free in the C drive just killed my phone... i don't know how to get it to boot. I updated the fw without any pb then restored my data but got the "not enough memory" message, then the phone restarted (as it does after every restore) but now it says "phone can't boot, contact your support".... i'm pretty sure it's because it lacks memory now that i have restored my data...

anyone can help me do a reset of the phone? cause i can't even get it connected via USB to reflesh it. please
guys, found the method to format your phone if it won't boot. Just hold the call button and the menu button down then press on, it will ask if yoçu want to format. I was scared!! got it working but had to restore my contacts only... d=those 17 mb left are a real problem

Old 26-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down did not work

i downloaded the base.rar extracted it, opened it. and connected the phone. it did not say connected in any pda device.

what to do ??