All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 17-12-2007, 12:30 AM

randomfan is on a distinguished road
Unlocking Orange N95 during contract

Don't know if this is of any interest to anybody, but I've just had my Orange contract N95 unlocked through Orange directly. Wanted to do this as I'm going abroad for a while soon, and don't fancy paying roaming charges for all the local calls i'll be making. Called them on Tuesday, the guy I spoke to said the fact that I'm only 7 months into my 18 months contract isn't a problem, so he took my IMEI and added 20 to my next bill. He said the unlock code needs to come from Nokia, and it would take 7-10 days, but I got the email after only 5 days with the unlock code and very clear instructions (and it worked, obviously).

So yeah, I remember people talking about getting a PAYG SIM, load it with 20 and then ask to unlock by calling Orange using that SIM rather than your contract one. Looks like that's not really necessary.

No idea what the other networks' procedures are though.

Old 17-12-2007, 11:08 AM

Wookie-HTID is on a distinguished road
Surely though people could just save £20 and unlock themselves?
Ads

Old 17-12-2007, 03:33 PM

KingDingaLing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookie-HTID View Post
Surely though people could just save 20 and unlock themselves?
You Need a unlock code which is generated by the network you got phone on or is there a secret that you know an we dnt please fill us in!!!

Old 17-12-2007, 10:35 PM

bigfrank is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomfan View Post
Don't know if this is of any interest to anybody, but I've just had my Orange contract N95 unlocked through Orange directly. Wanted to do this as I'm going abroad for a while soon, and don't fancy paying roaming charges for all the local calls i'll be making. Called them on Tuesday, the guy I spoke to said the fact that I'm only 7 months into my 18 months contract isn't a problem, so he took my IMEI and added £20 to my next bill. He said the unlock code needs to come from Nokia, and it would take 7-10 days, but I got the email after only 5 days with the unlock code and very clear instructions (and it worked, obviously).

So yeah, I remember people talking about getting a PAYG SIM, load it with £20 and then ask to unlock by calling Orange using that SIM rather than your contract one. Looks like that's not really necessary.

No idea what the other networks' procedures are though.
Alright mate did the same thing as u but with vodafone - got mines FREE. Not only did the salesman input the code for me, he even give me a print out of the code and directions on how to remove the lock

Old 18-12-2007, 04:22 PM

Wookie-HTID is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDingaLing View Post
You Need a unlock code which is generated by the network you got phone on or is there a secret that you know an we dnt please fill us in!!!
hehhe sorry - i thought it would just be as simple is it is changing a product code