All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 28-04-2003, 07:33 PM

billnapier is on a distinguished road
Missing Features

I've had my 3650 for about 2 weeks now and have noticed some missing features. Was wondering if anybody has any workarounds for these or know of a any 3rd party apps to work around these:

1. Ability to add more profiles. The system ones are OK, but what if I want a "Fun" profile for the evenings and a "Business" one for during the day. Currently I would have to use (for example) "Normal" during the day and have "Outdoors" be my evening one and that bugs me.

2. Auto Keylock. I'm currently in the habit of hitting the buttons to do the keylock, but I would love for it to automatically happen after some time (say 60 seconds or so).

Any help would be appreciated!

Bill

Old 28-04-2003, 09:41 PM

willbrady is on a distinguished road
There is an auto phone lock which you can activate - but it means tapping in a pass code before you use your phone every time, it got on my nerves in the end.

There are quite a few extended profile apps, never used them but the guys here have, click on the banner at the top of this page and have a look around

Best

Will

Old 29-04-2003, 07:02 AM

LuigiMD is on a distinguished road
Use Extended Profiles Pro v1.80 from PsiLoc. Quite useful app.

You cannot add profiles though (i've been waiting for an app to do that), but you can setup phone auto lock (per profile).

PS: The phone has a built-in AutoLock feature by the way.

Old 29-04-2003, 07:15 AM

Seremify is on a distinguished road
Re: Missing Features

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnapier
I've had my 3650 for about 2 weeks now and have noticed some missing features. Was wondering if anybody has any workarounds for these or know of a any 3rd party apps to work around these:

1. Ability to add more profiles. The system ones are OK, but what if I want a "Fun" profile for the evenings and a "Business" one for during the day. Currently I would have to use (for example) "Normal" during the day and have "Outdoors" be my evening one and that bugs me.
But you do know you can change the names and the settings for each profile.. not meaning to be intimidating but I don't see why you can't rename Meeting to "Fun" and change the settings?

Quote:
2. Auto Keylock. I'm currently in the habit of hitting the buttons to do the keylock, but I would love for it to automatically happen after some time (say 60 seconds or so).
The phone auto lock works well. I prefer that as it stops people playing with my phone

3810 > 6110 > 6210 > T20 > 8310 > 3650 > 6100 > 7250i > 9210 > 7610 > D600 > w800i > Z140 > N73 > N93 > E65 > E51 > E71

Old 29-04-2003, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Use Extended Profiles Pro v1.80 from PsiLoc. Quite useful app.

You cannot add profiles though (i've been waiting for an app to do that), but you can setup phone auto lock (per profile).
The phone autolock is nice and it does work, but it irritates me to have to enter a 5 digit pin code every time I want to use my phone. All I'm really looking for is to keep from accidentally hitting buttons when in my pocket.

I'm currently using Extended Profiles, but can't see how to turn the auto lock feature per profile. But as mentioned above, that's not really what I'm looking for anyway.

Quote:
But you do know you can change the names and the settings for each profile.. not meaning to be intimidating but I don't see why you can't rename Meeting to "Fun" and change the settings?
I couldn't see how to change the names of profiles. On the settings screen for the profile, I see that there is a configuration box that would imply that I could change the name, but when I select it, nothing happens. I when I use the left menu button on it, my only options are "Help" and "Exit". If I could rename them, that would make me happier for the time being, but I would love to be able to add more as well.

BTW - don't worry about intimidating, I have a thick skin (and some would say a thick head to go with it).

Old 29-04-2003, 04:39 PM

Quote:
All I'm really looking for is to keep from accidentally hitting buttons when in my pocket.
You can do that by pressing the left softkey and *+ button in quick succession (keypad lock feature). It's standard on all Nokia phones (i believe).

Quote:
I couldn't see how to change the names of profiles.
To change the name of an existing profile, select Profiles, scroll to the profile you wish to change, choose Personalize. Scroll down to the bottom of the option list and position the selection bar to "Profile Name". Click Options, then Change. That's it!

By the way, you cannot change the name of the General profile. But the rest, you can.

Old 29-04-2003, 06:55 PM

Quote:
You can do that by pressing the left softkey and *+ button in quick succession (keypad lock feature). It's standard on all Nokia phones (i believe).
I was aware of that short cut, but don't always remember to press it before I put the phone away. It would be nice if the phone would remember to do it for me after some period of inactivity.

Quote:
By the way, you cannot change the name of the General profile. But the rest, you can.
That would explain my problem. I never tried to change the name of any of the other profiles. Thanks!

Old 30-04-2003, 04:30 AM

Quote:
It would be nice if the phone would remember to do it for me after some period of inactivity.
Yeah, i sort of thought of that before i read your response, since you were looking for an "auto-kind-of-thing". No, as of now, i haven't seen any background app that can do that. It's actually simple but can be quite useful.
Ads

Old 30-04-2003, 12:19 PM

psintak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiMD
Quote:
It would be nice if the phone would remember to do it for me after some period of inactivity.
Yeah, i sort of thought of that before i read your response, since you were looking for an "auto-kind-of-thing". No, as of now, i haven't seen any background app that can do that. It's actually simple but can be quite useful.
Extended Profiles in his Profesional version can do that (Autolock keyboard just like pressing Left+* ) You can also set delay for locking I love that App

Old 30-04-2003, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Extended Profiles in his Profesional version can do that (Autolock keyboard just like pressing Left+* )
That is what their website said. I downloaded the trial version of Pro and couldn't figure out where to set that. Any help there? (I looked for some documentation on the product but wasn't able to find any).

Old 30-04-2003, 05:35 PM

Quote:
That is what their website said. I downloaded the trial version of Pro and couldn't figure out where to set that. Any help there? (I looked for some documentation on the product but wasn't able to find any).
Yes, it works... i stand corrected. My mistake was, i set up the autolock functionality in the built-in Profiles app. Minimum delay is 1 minute which locks the phone (and requires you to enter the 5-digit code to unlock).

Whereas, if you set it up WITHIN Extended Profiles, it will activate what you so desire, the keypad autolock without the 5-digit code to unlock. Minimum delay is 30 seconds.

I assumed they have the same functionality until i read in PsiLoc's site stating that this is an "EXTENDED" functionality. So that's it...

Old 01-05-2003, 01:51 PM

I am a complete idiot. Since I didn't get the file right from the source, I didn't have the latest version of the program. The version I had didn't have the auto keylock feature. Sorry to keep pestering you, but thanks for sticking with me!

Old 01-05-2003, 02:14 PM

:) is on a distinguished road
Quote:
but thanks for sticking with me!
That's what this forum is about (to help others ) Although i didn't help in this topic, but i was with you in spirit
Last edited by : ) on Thu Jan 02, 1947 11:32 pm, edited 451 times in total