All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 01-11-2008, 09:35 PM

Riccardinho is on a distinguished road
Getting "USB device not recognized" error when I plug the e71 into my Vista PC

I've managed to successfully sync my e71 with my Outlook contacts using PC Suite once only. On every subsequent attempt to connect the phone to the PC I get this error message.

Have tried uninstalling PC suite, using 4 different versions (6.86, 7.0.7.0, 7.0.8.2, 7.0.9.2), uninstalling and reinstalling the cable driver - no joy.

Presumably this is a driver issue and the one for the cable (a CA-101) on the Nokia site isn't up to scratch. I've been all over the web for a solution without any luck yet. Is anyone else experiencing this? If so, is there a fix? Help greatly appreciated.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:19 PM

Had 80 views on this now and no responses. Am I alone in suffering this? Tried it now on a different PC - XP installed - and get the same thing. Aaaargh!!

Old 06-11-2008, 02:01 PM

mikezs is on a distinguished road
Try this:
Code:
hxxp://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/Nokia_PC_Suite_Cleaner_7_0_1.exe
I've got less than 10 posts so technically I can't post a link to it, but replace the x's with t's in the link above - Maybe the rules could be changed to make it not first post

It's the Nokia Data Suite Cleaner from the Nokia site for people in your situation.

It worked for me when I lost the ability to connect my phone.

Steps I took:
  1. Uninstall data suite
  2. Retart PC
  3. Run Data suite cleaner
  4. Restart again
  5. Download fresh copy of data sutie (latest version)
  6. Dont connect phone
  7. Restart again
  8. Joy!

Old 06-11-2008, 06:55 PM

Much appreciated Mike - will give it a try. A bluetooth modem is my other option, but when these things should just work, you'd like them to! Cheers.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
You might also try looking for the USB cable driver as a separate item in Add/Remove Programs.

You should be able to remove it / reinstall it.

And sometimes it is worth trying a different USB port.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:48 AM

cricfancy is on a distinguished road
Hi

Give it a try,

Uninstall Nokia PC Suite, Nokia Connectivity Cable driver, nokia Flashing cable driver, PC COnnectivity solution. Take backup of all your pc registries (on a safer side), Run PC Suite cleaner which will erase unwanted registries from your PC. Install latest PC suite. Reboot your machine. Try to connect your device in different USB ports on your PC. Hope this will work and have a nice day
Ads

Old 24-11-2008, 10:20 PM

Well I have now tried everything, literally. And still no joy. No matter what I do, how many times I uninstall PC Suite, how many times I run PC Suite Cleaner, how many registry cleaners I use, how many times I soft or hard reset my device, how many different orders I do it in, I cannot, cannot, CANNOT get anything other than "USB device not recognized" when I plug my e71 into a PC. Any PC in fact - I've tried a number of them. XP and Vista.

Pretty appalling Nokia I have to say. I'm now connecting with infra-red. In 2008. And by comparison, the infra-red dongle I dug out for the first time since 2004 plugged straight into Vista (released 2007), which recognised it as a device immediately and downloaded a driver which made it work first time.

Most unimpressed, and rather frustrated

Edit: I should point out this is an e71 that I haven't unlocked or tampered with in any way. Purchased on the 3 network in the UK and still locked to that network.

Last edited by Riccardinho; 24-11-2008 at 10:43 PM.

Old 15-03-2010, 03:07 AM

David Schock is on a distinguished road
All 97-cent USB Cables From China Are Not Created Equal.

I was having the same issue on my E71. I installed Nokia PC Suite 7.1 and got a Windows pop up that said 'USB Device Not Recognized'

'One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message.' -- clicking the message was worthless.

But after the above recommended removal and repairs and 'cleaning' I inserted the USB cable into the computer with no phone attached, and I got the same message. This was proof that the error was in the cable. When you insert the cable into the PC nothing should happen if the other end is unplugged.

I then inserted my other 97-cent USB cable (I am as cheap as the next guy) in the the PC and got no Windows pop up after a while. Then I inserted the small end into the phone and volia, connected.