All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 26-08-2008, 09:37 AM

hargs48 is on a distinguished road
Its about time we get USB Charging out the box....
but really both devices have a very-high spec for "low to medium range" N-Series smartphones.

Whats impressing me the most is the dimensions & weight of both phones,Nokia are really cramming lots of tech into devices that are more compact than many "dumb" phones...

And great idea putting so much demos + one free game,out the box with the N85,to promote the N-Gage brand

Last edited by hargs48; 26-08-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Old 26-08-2008, 09:47 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
yes, well, maybe

Well I have been defending my n 82 and its keypad rather aggressively all along! but i guess, this is it. I had actually gone ahead and pre booked n 96 with one of the nokia dealers but guess, would need to cancel that now! (How sad!!). It does not come with TV, (who needs it anyway, i prefer my bravia for that!), Xenon flash (that one, i will need to convince myself that i can do WITHOUT xenon, don't know about that as of now..). Storage is not a prob with me (to share a secret, i am still on a 2 gb card!)

So what is left is the slider part. Nokia generally have been lousy in that department, so will need to test run one before taking the plunge but it will be heavy on pocket. INR 28,834. (gulp!)

Old 26-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
I reckon this makes the N96 redundant for most people in the UK.

Much thinner, better battery, the only drawback is that the screen is 2.6 rather than 2.8.

Why would you pay more for a much fatter phone with a useless function (DVB)?

I suppose the extra 16GB on the N96 is going to be the decider for some.

Old 26-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I suppose the extra 16GB on the N96 is going to be the decider for some.
I wouldn't underestimate that, it can be quite a major specification that people look for, like the megapixel count on cameras.

16gb on board memory PLUS the memory card slot which can officially take 8gb and unofficially perhaps 16gb, that's a total of 24gb to 32gb which is a huge amount compared to most other devices in this class.

Old 26-08-2008, 09:58 AM
missInnocent

That lady in the video sure sounds....motivated.

Nice one, I think I'll have to make myself a Christmas present.

Old 26-08-2008, 10:05 AM

Smurphboy is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure that the closeness in spec of the N85 and the N96 is a bad thing.

I picked up from the virtual event videos that Nokia are trying a lot of different things with handsets and letting the market decide. That has to be a good thing for consumers. If the N96 and the N85 both sell well then expect to see more high-spec phones rather than a single flagship phone. For nearly two years we have had the N95 as the flagship and an array of cheaper (and frankly not as good) mid-range phones.

I like having to decide between the N96 and the N85 - its about time picking a decent smartphone involved more choice - if nothing else it will give Steve Lichfield more traffic to his smartphone grid.

Now if only Nokia would make Ovi integrate as well as the iPhone integrates with a Mac...
Ads

Old 26-08-2008, 11:14 AM

snoyt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
If you read the news story you'll note I mentioned the GPS antennae is around the camera area on the back of the device (top end). Should be good for reception.
Thanks, I had only time to scan the post briefly. Looking forward to some extensive flash comparison tests with the N82. The xenon flash of the N82 will most likely always have the shortest flash time and thus less troubled by motion blur in flash pictures. Also Xenon has the most natural and continuous colorspectrum giving better color when using flash. Still the dual led setup is a very nice compromise between video and photo and most likely a damn handy pocket light if my experiences with the SE W800i are an indication ;^)

Old 26-08-2008, 11:36 AM

Super Chimp is on a distinguished road
Their seems to be a mistake in the news item as it says it's available from November when the Nokia press release says it is available from October. See link below.

Link.

Old 26-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Chimp View Post
Their seems to be a mistake in the news item as it says it's available from November when the Nokia press release says it is available from October. See link below.

Link.
Thanks superchimp, I will correct this (was correct AFAIK at time of writing). As I'm sure you know I suspect November might be more accurate as to when most people can get it in their hands!

Old 26-08-2008, 11:52 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Nice phone but......once again too little too late.

5 megapixel is old hat compared with 8 megapixel offerings from LG and Samsung
OLED screen is nice, but with the same old QVGA 240 x 320 resolution, they really should start to think about VGA now.

To be brutally honest apart from looking prettier, the N85, N79 and N96 have nothing new that make them a worthy upgrade from the now the 18 month old N95.

With the exception of the superb E71 and E66 with their outstanding build quality Nokia really seem to have lost the plot with their forthcoming handsets, they are all basically re-hashes of the N95

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 26-08-2008, 12:16 PM

brendan is on a distinguished road
Looks like a nice phone.

Ive done a fair bit of Nokia bashing lately - to me, at least their recent phones haven't really been anything new over the orginal N95... More memory, bigger screen, useless TV tuner don't really cut it for me.

But this phone - new screen technology, FP2 and a FM transmitter (over the original N95) is a good move.

Looks like they might have even got a reasonable set of keys for NGage.

Can't say I like sliders but that just a personal preference after having a N95...

Does it have a 3D chip for gaming?

Old 26-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

I was worried that there would be a trend towards larger phones caused by the huge oversized slab iPhone format. Thank goodness Nokia have seen sense and gone smaller. I had decided against an N96 to replace my N95, but this makes a difference and I will be getting this N85 when it arrives. Might be a long wait though, knowing Nokia spring 2009 - I predict April or May.

Old 26-08-2008, 02:52 PM

Kazutoyo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hargs48 View Post
Its about time we get USB Charging out the box....
but really both devices have a very-high spec for "low to medium range" N-Series smartphones.

Whats impressing me the most is the dimensions & weight of both phones,Nokia are really cramming lots of tech into devices that are more compact than many "dumb" phones...

And great idea putting so much demos + one free game,out the box with the N85,to promote the N-Gage brand
Agreed on all points

Old 26-08-2008, 05:08 PM
n14lad

To be brutally honest apart from looking prettier, the N85, N79 and N96 have nothing new that make them a worthy upgrade from the now the 18 month old N95.

Been thinking the same. Good job I've got another 8 months on my contract...

Old 26-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Unregistered

still happy with my N95 GB for sure - but I have to admit ever since the N96 and now also the N85 I envy the users of these handsets for the WMV video ability. I have a certain use for that - and may only be me - but I have to convert to mp4 all the time while these new devices would just play the original video...sigh....