All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 24-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
I dont think thats correct waxup, least not in the UK. Ive never heard of a case in the UK where private phone calls were bugged legally in an adultry case.

And dont forget, its the husband saying to his wife that hes got these recordings, not a court or lawyer. Also, they are bad quality.

Tbh if I were you, and the hubby challenged me Id ask how exactly he got those recordings, and is the police aware hes using illegal methods to listen in on private conversations.

Old 24-01-2008, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
yeah, anything can be done for the right price... but I mostly agree with bartman, this ist America... (yet)

hey scumbucket, you married? Your missis is the only one thats left outta this...

the woman you were accused with gets messaged, her hubby does, your involved but dont... so I dunno... we need Miss Marple or summat.

Last edited by kontraband; 24-01-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Old 24-01-2008, 04:30 PM

waxup is on a distinguished road
yeah I'm not aware of the laws in the UK. I live in Canada. The USA is more open about what information can be disclosed etc. so anything can be bought pretty much right off the internet.

He could have a friend sending text messages to him and his wife to show you and also having a friend record phony phone calls as well. Maybe he's the one cheating on his wife and wants to get out of the marriage unscathed and put the blame on his wife and you instead!
Ads

Old 24-01-2008, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
yeah, when I was younger I watched a program that made me want to edit people speaking to make up a complete sentence...

long story short, I got a really low quality audio clip of my sister saying stuff she didnt. It was pretty easy.

Old 24-01-2008, 05:02 PM

scumbucketsex is on a distinguished road
i have a girlfriend also, but she knows nothing about any of this as would just worry her. i suspected that he mite be making a "cover story" to try and trap her. saying things like if she left him then he would come after me etc. so kinda calling her bluff and see what happens. but yeh i think time to get miss marple in lol.

Old 31-01-2008, 12:19 PM

Toppskarven is on a distinguished road
Cool cloned?

Interesting thread for many reasons (technical issues, legality issues and of course gossip! sorry scumbucket, but it's true, everyone likes gossip)

If anyone has the slightest suspicion that they might be recorded by 3rd parties, the way to find out WHO it is, is to analyze yourself, the 2nd party and the context, and WHO would benefit from the bugging.

(WHAT are you doing (business/social/love related talks)? WHO are you speaking to? (Are they to trust or are their mobilephones to trust) WHO would benefit from it and HOW they would benefit from it (and WHAT RESOURCES do they have to bug you?)

Only then can you find out HOW (and maybe WHY) they do it, and take countermeasures.

You or the 2nd party can have got their SIM-card cloned (sadly it doesn't just happen in movies, SIM cards are relatively easy to clone), and it could then be used to monitor ALL traffic inbound/outbound from the phone that was cloned.
The easiest way to counteract this is changing SIM-cards regularly (number included, do not keep the same number), I myself worked in a field where we were required to change SIM-cards once a month to counteract cloning, and these days new SIM-cards are relatively cheap.

If changing SIM-cards doesn't work (keep one in your phone, and another in a secret place no-one knows and use that for business/love-talks), there must be advanced bugging going on, which needs expensive equipment or police bugging via the provider.

Or the best way is: using public payphones! If the calls are then bugged something really fishy and/or illegal is going on!

Let us know if you found out WHO did it, WHY, and at least HOW they did it!

Cheers

Old 31-01-2008, 12:23 PM

cloned PS!

don't forget everyone that a phone can be bugged even it is SWITCHED OFF! With the right equipment you can record conversations in a room where the mobile is switched off, for the sensitive business meeting (or noisy love-making) TAKE THE BATTERY OUT! (or leave it outside the room)

Cheers

Old 31-01-2008, 12:36 PM

Talking Help, the paranoia sets in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumbucketsex View Post
thank you all for your replys. just to clarify a little more, neither me or the person i was talking to was using a bluetooth headset or had um turned on. they had a motorola razor fone if that means anything?they defo didnt use any program to record the conversation. i have recently upgraded all my firmware so was hoping that would make it harder for it to happen again, but i do suspect that it might of happened again. does anyone know much about phone scanners? do they still exist?
sorry for posting the third post in a row, but read the thread again, and noticed the 2nd party had a Motorola RAZR...

My wife has a RAZR... Is it MY wife you're messing with???

Couldn't help it

good luck solving your problem!

Old 31-01-2008, 12:39 PM

Toppskarven, are you running a trace on anyone at the present time?
I think there is something going on here!

Old 31-01-2008, 12:47 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxup View Post
Toppskarven, are you running a trace on anyone at the present time?
I think there is something going on here!

Nope, it is VERY interesting (and in a human's nature) to eavesdrop, but unfortunately I have a slight moral sense preventing me of doing so

Old 31-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppskarven View Post
don't forget everyone that a phone can be bugged even it is SWITCHED OFF! With the right equipment you can record conversations in a room where the mobile is switched off, for the sensitive business meeting (or noisy love-making) TAKE THE BATTERY OUT! (or leave it outside the room)

Cheers
Are you absoloutly sure about this? Or are you on about actually adding bits inside the phone, as opposed to using the phone itself? I just cant see how a powered down phone would be able to run/send anything without adding seperate hardware.

Old 31-01-2008, 01:21 PM

A small microphone and transmitter attached somewhere inside a knook or cranny running off the battery of the device.

It's that simple, put that microphone close enough to the ear piece and you'll hear what the other side is saying too!

Old 31-01-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanekul View Post
Are you absoloutly sure about this? Or are you on about actually adding bits inside the phone, as opposed to using the phone itself? I just cant see how a powered down phone would be able to run/send anything without adding seperate hardware.
POSITIVE!
Through security briefs I have been demonstrated this and saw (heard) it first hand! No hardware and/or software needs to be installed on the phone to be tapped.
Both OLD/SIMPLE and NEW/ADVANCED phones can be "turned on" in a silent/dark/passive listening mode remotely! (same with landlines!)
I cannot tell HOW it's done (firstly I haven't got the technological know-how to how it's done, secondly I would NOT tell how it's done even if I knew), 5 years ago when I was demonstrated this, the technology was only accessible for those with serious money, but I'm sure a techno-geek could easily do it today in a relatively cheap way.

Old 31-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Lovely! Still, that means someone has to get hold of your phone to make the modifacation/install.

Of course, if someones that intent on bugging you anyway, your either into something serious or the person is a freak.

Old 31-01-2008, 01:35 PM

Agreed, no one for the sake of finding out if their spouse is cheating would go to those lengths. It's easier to leave the person if your assumptions are causing that much of a commotion.