All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-07-2007, 09:59 PM

Ronaldo-9 is on a distinguished road
Calls to truphone from UK mobile network, free?

If i have free cross networks minutes on my UK mobile (T-mobile) or say
Orange and i call truphone number will this come out of my allowance? or is there a special rate?

cheers

Old 16-07-2007, 10:14 PM

Navs is on a distinguished road
If you make a standard GSM call to a truphone number, i think its all Network operator dependant. Not sure what they charge but if your calling Truphone numbers often its cheaper and easier to get a phone that can make VOIP calls, and then use Truphone to Truphone free calls.

Old 16-07-2007, 10:16 PM

just wanna know what it will cost a GSM network call to truphone i hoping it is same as "other network" and will come out of free mins.

i ask because it would be cheap if i went on holiday and had my truphone with me

edit: just make a 10 sec call from my mobile, t-mobile online billing is down (always at night) will check 2moro to see if i got charged or free

Last edited by Ronaldo-9; 16-07-2007 at 10:28 PM.

Old 17-07-2007, 07:02 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo-9 View Post
If i have free cross networks minutes on my UK mobile (T-mobile) or say
Orange and i call truphone number will this come out of my allowance? or is there a special rate?

cheers
If you call a Truphone number using the prefix +447......... I think the Networks have to treat your call as inclusive (assuming you are in your home country when you make the call).

All UK networks use the same +447 prefix (or 07 prefix) so I don't think they would be entitled to charge you a connection fee.

Old 17-07-2007, 10:46 AM

satello is on a distinguished road
i suggest to send an email to truphone itself, those guys are always keen and very quick to reply. i've been using truphone since it was launced and never had a problem and the support is great.

Old 17-07-2007, 02:37 PM

boyced is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navs View Post
If you make a standard GSM call to a truphone number
tmobile are charging for this, it doesn't come out of your inclusive mins, they have a recording to say so when dialing.

Old 17-07-2007, 02:47 PM

randomfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyced View Post
tmobile are charging for this, it doesn't come out of your inclusive mins, they have a recording to say so when dialing.
Are you sure? It's just an ordinary UK mobile number, or at least so when just looking at it. How can user be expected to tell which kind it is?

According to truphone's website:

"The cost to your callers is the same as to any ordinary mobile, but will be cheaper to you if you're roaming overseas"

That seems to suggest that people calling your truphone number will be treated the same as calling any normal mobile number.

Old 17-07-2007, 03:12 PM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
Be very wary of this.

When you register Truphone, an SMS is sent. Although this is sent to a normal looking UK mobile number (07...) TMobile UK, as mentioned above, does NOT include this within the Flext allowance and it is therefore a chargeable text. I suggest phone calls, certainly with TMobile UK, will be similarly charged.

I have a friend who lives in Guernsey. She has both a Guernsey registered mobile number (Guernsey Telecom) and a mainland UK mobile (Vodafone). Both have standard 07... numbers yet TMobile UK charge me for all texts and calls to the Guernsey number. When I contacted TMobile UK, I was told they class Guernsey differently.

So I bet calls to 07 Truphone numbers, especially on TMobile UK, will be charged for and not eligible for bundles.

F

Old 17-07-2007, 06:56 PM

indie is on a distinguished road
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/6901945.stm

While that doesn't answer your question it explains why T-Mobile are charging you out of your bundle.

For the record, calls and texts from Orange to Truphone +447624 numbers come out of inclusive minutes/texts.

Last edited by indie; 18-07-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Old 17-07-2007, 08:49 PM

well it was not free i was charged, i did get a email from truphone who said their number is isle of man mobile number. But i did not hear any message when i dialed

16/07/07 23:23 076240**0*6 International & Premium Calls 00:00:11 £0.078

i emailed t-mobile

Last edited by Ronaldo-9; 17-07-2007 at 08:54 PM.

Old 18-07-2007, 07:10 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyced View Post
I suggest you write to T-Mob ccustomer Relations making an official complaint, and state in the letter that as Truphone is an 07 number, if T-Mob don't count these calls as part of your inclusive minutes that you will complain to Offtel. Also ask for a refund of all Truphone calls they have charged you for so far.

Then wait for their reply and actually do write a letter of complaint to Offtel.
If enough people do this, Offtel will act. Truphone has already lodged an official complaint about this. We should all back-up Truphone and complain.

Old 18-07-2007, 08:41 AM

robgreb is on a distinguished road
While I agree that T-Mobile (and other UK operators) are being arsey about Truphone and other virtual service providers, your complaints will go unheeded.

Truphone has an Isle of Man number. All UK operators regard this as "abroad". It's the same as calling France or Spain. I'm surprised you get a message when calling the number; you don't normally get a message when calling an overseas number. However, you have been correctly billed.

Why not ask Truphone to use a mainland UK number?

Last edited by robgreb; 18-07-2007 at 08:43 AM. Reason: I should read the original post more closely...

Old 18-07-2007, 09:40 AM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgreb View Post
While I agree that T-Mobile (and other UK operators) are being arsey about Truphone and other virtual service providers, your complaints will go unheeded.

Truphone has an Isle of Man number. All UK operators regard this as "abroad". It's the same as calling France or Spain. I'm surprised you get a message when calling the number; you don't normally get a message when calling an overseas number. However, you have been correctly billed.

Why not ask Truphone to use a mainland UK number?
I'm with you on this one. Whilst it's annoying to be charged for texting/calling an 07 number, when you realise the number is domiciled "overseas" you can understand why the networks charge for it. Additionally, Truphone is taking away their revenue but Truphone haven't heavily subsidised the cost of the handset to start with.

The cynic in me also wonders whether the Truphone number is some sort of personal 07000-style of number whereby they get to keep some of the cost of the call/text. Afterall, they're giving away free calls to many worldwide landlines and have to make money somehow and if their main charging isn't going to commence until 2008, I'm sure they'd appreciate a little income trickling in for 2007.

F

Old 18-07-2007, 11:32 AM

indie is on a distinguished road
Right, I've just called Orange again and now they're even more confused, before they simply said they would come out of my allowance but this time when i asked them to look further into it and see if it was an isle of man number they confirmed it was.

Calls and SMS messages to truphone numbers from my Orange Pay Monthly account have been coming our of my inclusive minutes/texts. I'm just waiting for the Orange online service to come back online and I'll post a screen grab of my bill showing they came from my allowance.

They confirmed to me that the truphone number is indeed Isle of Man but have no idea why I'm not currently being charged for it!

UPDATE: After speaking to the guy in roaming he's confirmed that for Orange pay monthly customers calls/texts to 07624 numbers will come out of inclusive minutes/texts even though they terminate on a network outside the UK.

He said it's very strange and he didn't know why but it's good news for Orange customers!

Last edited by indie; 18-07-2007 at 11:44 AM.

Old 18-07-2007, 11:55 AM

cheers