All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-12-2002, 09:55 AM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
Symbian enters 3G market with Fujitsu and NTT DoCoMo

According to the Symbian web site. Symbian Ltd. today announces that its licensee Fujitsu has completed development of a Symbian OS smartphone for NTT DoCoMo's FOMA 3G network. Fujitsu will begin volume shipments to NTT DoCoMo shortly. (UPDATE:- Details of device now in comments) .

Quote:
London, United Kingdom - December 10th, 2002 - Symbian Ltd. today announces that its licensee Fujitsu has completed development of a Symbian OS smartphone for NTT DoCoMo's FOMA 3G network. Fujitsu will begin volume shipments to NTT DoCoMo shortly.

This is the first Symbian OS smartphone to be launched in Japan and is also the first Symbian OS 3G smartphone. The product marks an impressive step forward with an enhanced graphical user interface, still and movie camera, email capability as well as advanced PIM applications. This product is the result of close co-operation between Symbian and Fujitsu both to create a Symbian OS user interface for the Japanese language as well to optimize Symbian OS for NTT DoCoMo's 3G FOMA network.

"We are delighted that Fujitsu has completed its product development for NTT DoCoMo. This is the first 3G Symbian OS smartphone and the first Symbian OS product to be launched in Japan. Fujitsu has been an outstanding partner and has used the flexibility of the Symbian OS to the full to create this highly differentiated product. Symbian OS licensees account for more than 80% of worldwide mobile phone sales (1) and with Symbian OS products now being launched for the 3G market, Symbian is the de facto industry standard operating system for 2.5 and 3G smartphones. Symbian OS enables manufacturers and network operators to offer their customers a choice of strongly differentiated, feature-rich smartphones that can access compelling applications, content and services," said David Levin, CEO, Symbian Ltd.

(1) Source: Gartner Dataquest (November 2002) "Worldwide Mobile Terminal Market Shares 3Q02."
[/i]

Old 10-12-2002, 11:13 AM
Administrator

They've now posted a link to the NTTDoCoMo website with details of 3 phones. However its not clear which of them (if not all) is the Symbian device? They seem like interesting devices though, with Twin Camera's with different resolutions. I wonder if they will be made availible outside of Japan though?

Added to original.

Upon closer inspection I guess its the P2102V as its the only one with a SD Memory Card. Details below.

P2102V
- Stand-by time: 180 hours (dynamic), 250 hours(static)
- Twin CMOS cameras: 310,000-pixel and 100,000-pixel
- 2.35-inch, 262,144 full-color TFT screen (with semitransparent stand-by)
- Screen rotates 360 degrees
- Accepts SD Memory Card to store up to about 3 hours of video, which can be shared with any PC equipped for SD Memory Cards.
- Records and transmits video clips while user videoconferences

Old 10-12-2002, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Sorry I take that back. The Symbian homepage says its the F2051. 'F' for Fujitsu? I having problems copying the picture so you need to go to the DoCoMo site I posted above if you want to see it

F2051
- Stand-by time: 170 hours (dynamic), 230 hours (static)
- 100,000 - pixel CCD camera
- Camera rotates 270 degrees
- 2.2-inch, 65, 536 full-color TFT screen (with semitransparent stand-by)
- Photo cropping (to paste in other photos) and automatic brightness adjustment
- Each "memory number" stores up to 5 telephone numbers, e-mail/postal addresses, names, photos, etc.

Old 10-12-2002, 12:02 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Here are the relavent pictures:

Old 10-12-2002, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
So,this is a done deal? The device is tip top and ready for consumer use.No delays? It will be in the stores in the near future?. Is this for Japan only?

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.
Ads

Old 10-12-2002, 03:32 PM

:) is on a distinguished road
If it's Docomo then it's for japan only! I guess, cause i think they use another kind of network or something. I never read the word "gsm" in any of their phone articles. But they have bad ass phones... I wish i had docomo in my country!! :cry: (no problem, i'll move to Japan! )
Last edited by : ) on Thu Jan 02, 1947 11:32 pm, edited 451 times in total

Old 11-12-2002, 04:08 AM

Foma

The FOMA is japan only. It's WCDMA, but it won't work in europe. That being said, the market is still huge and very lucrative (first 3G networks).

FOMA is not enjoying much success in japan - one reason is the battery life. DoCoMo claim the new phones have much higher battery life - so let's hope this new phone will be a hit.

M.

Old 17-12-2002, 12:09 AM

martinharnevie is on a distinguished road
Just came from Japan. DoCoMo were having huge ads about it. Guess they lost a bit of face previously with the battery-life hickup. So this is their way of coming back.

In addition J-phone (Vodaphone) is launching GSM service in Japan on the 20 Dec. This means that the 7650s, P800 et al. will now compete with the i-mode. Will be interesting. On a more practical side, J-phone will finally introduce international roaming in Japan!!! Better late than never.

BTW, the i-mode phones will likely also work in South Korea.

BTW2: I was quite surprised to note that the chinese character Psion Revo (618c ??) is still promoted quite well by retailers in Hong Kong.

cheers from my Japan-Korea-Hong Kong trip.

Old 20-12-2002, 12:56 PM

Any ideas what Symbian platform is this built on? Series 60, ER6 or ER7?