All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 25-04-2005, 08:01 AM

simonmcc is on a distinguished road
Smartphone 0 - StupidPhone 1

Goodbye to my X

I got the Sendo X at the start of the year, and I have to say I was mostly pleased with it, even though it crashed when I was showing the mp3 playback to my mates...

But it's the little things:
  • Certain calendar repeat patterns don't work
  • Picture view from SD is slooowwww
  • USB Transfer is very slooowwwww
  • Video playback (one of the gimmicks) doesn't work all that well
  • No received calls during MP3 playback
  • Relatively slow and unresponsive interface (when compared to a "normal" phone)
  • Funny things happen if you don't acknowledge message boxes, and then receive a call

The final nail in the coffin for me was intermittently losing my microphone. Now according to this forum, this is a common problem. But I received no such acknowledgemebt from Sendo, they tried to palm me off suggesting that it may be a network problem.

Anyway. I now am the proud owner of a Nokia 6100, and I don't want to shock you all, but I can make and receive calls on it. I know this may be a startling discovery, but it's true.

I don't regret giving the X a try, as it was a good experience and I will probably get my money back out of it, and I certainly think its one of the most promising smart phones on the market, but its too immature just now. For me its back to a "Stupid" Phone

I hope this helps someone make up their mind. Watch eBay for my old X.....when my phone is returned from Sendo fixing dept

Simon

Last edited by simonmcc; 25-04-2005 at 08:38 AM.

Old 25-04-2005, 01:13 PM

Masamune is on a distinguished road
Most of the above is true for any Series 60 phone, especially the ones using Symbian 6. It may be worth keeping your eyes peeld for the X2.

Old 25-04-2005, 01:20 PM

messus is an unknown quantity at this point
I feel sorry for you...

That is the reason for me and other stating their negative experiences with
this so called smartphone, to warn potential buyers to steer away..
Because what you get is a sloow expensive overpraised so called smartphone
with lots of problems and software incompatibility issues!!

The X2 has no major imporvements, same CPU speed, same MP3 player,
same Operating System, so I would recommend you to steer away also
from the X2!!

Old 25-04-2005, 02:16 PM

simonmcc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masamune
Most of the above is true for any Series 60 phone, especially the ones using Symbian 6. It may be worth keeping your eyes peeld for the X2.
I will keep a lookout. I really like the concept of these phones, but buying a phone for me is a large and infrequent expence, which I take great care over. I spent a long time choosing the Sendo X, and I still believe I made the correct choice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not in the "lets sue sendo" camp, if I had a chance to do it all again, I would, it was a good experience.

I think the general public are being put off phones by these kinds of phones - I was talking to an uncle who just received an upgrade to a nokia running symbian, and he hates it - slow response etc - he doesn't care about all the "smart" things it can do, he just wants to make calls.

Anyway rant over......

S.
Ads

Old 25-04-2005, 03:04 PM

Masamune is on a distinguished road
It has to be said - the majority of Symbian phone buyers do tend to fall into the "techhead" category. If I hadn't used a Sony Ericsson T630 before my Sendo, I would also have said its quite slow. But then I found that the more RAM I freed up, the better the phone worked...

Old 25-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Super Moderator

stuclark is on a distinguished road
Wait until you all see the X2 - it's amazingly quick compared to the X (it has something like 7MB of free RAM, as opposed to the 3.5MB you get on an X)

Old 25-04-2005, 05:42 PM

Mordred 660 is on a distinguished road
would a firmware flash help? specifically with the No received calls during MP3 playback issue?

Old 25-04-2005, 06:39 PM

trimakassi is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuclark
Wait until you all see the X2 - it's amazingly quick compared to the X (it has something like 7MB of free RAM, as opposed to the 3.5MB you get on an X)
You mean buying and then seeing? No, i spent a lot of money on the X and i expect a decent working handset for that. My X is still undergoing repairs and i hope that when i get it back it'll function normally (and with a software update). I must say Sendo has done a very good job back here in The Netherlands listening to the users, but at the moment we are much more helped with a software update instead of nice pics or vids of the new X2.