All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Top 10 Freeware for the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and S60 5th Edition

Continuing a fine and longstanding tradition, I bring you what will be a regularly updated top pick of the very best freeware for S60 5th Edition. At this moment in time, this means the Top Ten freeware for the Nokia 5800 XpressMusic. OK, OK, so I relent after 10 and give you a bonus 'next 10', bubbling under. Hopefully there are some items in here that you hadn't considered until now!

Read on in the full article.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Hucklebuck

Good news for 5800 users who still can't get V20 firmware due to product code exclusion and with no patience to wait for Nokia to get moving. I changed my product code to allow V20 download and it works perfect, the software is out there via google now. The keywords you need are JAF and PKEY, not Nemesis NSS yet. V20 firmware will allow you to get the new multi-language dictionary app and the Real Player v1.6 that allows downloads to play back later.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:44 AM
Unregistered

Firmware / product code

Hi Steve

Thanks for the article. SportsTracker (for instance) isn't in my Download!, can you please post your 5800XM's firmware / product code / colour so we can see which version you are using?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Administrator

My 5800 is RM-356 and Red. Actually, I'm standing by for a v21 release - surely that can't be far away, given the current lack of optimisation in the device?

Old 02-03-2009, 08:59 AM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Great article, makes me wanna buy the 5800 once they have it back and more widely available here in the US!

ps. Please guys, improve the UI of AAS finally.. I click on the header of the article, I get to the second page with an extra para, only to see I need to click on "read on" to see the rest.. arrgghh.. not to mention there is an ad page in between, but that I can forgive as you do need to make some money too.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Unregistered

Question Mobipocket?

Hi, Does mobipocket reader work on S60v5, and if so, whats the experience like? mobipocket is my killer app when upgrading a phone.

Thanks.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:32 AM

bbking is on a distinguished road
Mobipocket

I am running Mobipocket Reader V5.3 build 576. Page up and down are mapped to the volume keys. Not wonderful, but not unusable.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM

rvirga is on a distinguished road
I didn't know Sports Tracker had been ported to the 5800! It's not on Download in my country. A Google search however led me to this article, which contains a direct download link. Accented characters don't display properly, but overall it works OK.
Still waiting for Internet Radio (a glaring omission in a music phone).

Old 02-03-2009, 09:47 AM
Unregistered

No SportTracker

I have v20.0.012.C02.01 Type RM-356.
When I tried update the phone, it says that no new updates are available.
However Download! has no SportTracker icon after "Option/Refresh content".

Old 02-03-2009, 09:57 AM
Unregistered

I've installed Mobipocket reader in my 5800...almost was happy with it until I found that I couldn't find a way to come back from full-screen mode!

Now all I'm waiting for is the Intellisync mobile mail for the 5th ed.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Sorry all, I've replaced the Sports Tracker download reference with a proper hyperlink that should work for all!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:24 AM
HAIL_ACME

Exclamation

Talkonaut ??? how can you forget FRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! i know its not in final version but its working just fine

Old 02-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Well, fring was on the shortlist, but I didn't think it was formally available, plus my eyes glaze over when I see yet more VoIP solutions and I was aiming for an interesting list above all. I'll look at it and add it to an updated list in the future.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by viipottaja View Post
Great article, makes me wanna buy the 5800 once they have it back and more widely available here in the US!

ps. Please guys, improve the UI of AAS finally.. I click on the header of the article, I get to the second page with an extra para, only to see I need to click on "read on" to see the rest.. arrgghh.. not to mention there is an ad page in between, but that I can forgive as you do need to make some money too.
Comments about the UI noted. In our defence we do link to the main story on the front page as well (in the body of the text). There should be a way of making this clearer, but this is balanced against getting a reasonable amount on the front page. Plus some items are just news. Generally when we're talking about content you'll always find a link in the first para.

I suppose we could change where the headline link too, but that then is inconsistent the other way round.

With regards to the ad - you should only ever see this once a day. If this is not the case let me know. I try and draw a balance between advertising and annoying people. But yes we do have to pay the bills and the advertisng market isn;t great right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAIL_ACME View Post
Talkonaut ??? how can you forget FRING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!! i know its not in final version but its working just fine
Reason Fring wasn't mentioned as its not formally available (in alpha), but of course its definitely worth a look. Bear in mind we have to balance between cutting edge users who don't mind potentially unstable apps and the middle ground.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:51 PM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
How come my wife's RM-356 doesn't have v20 available yet?