All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 08-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
AAA-powered as well?

Widely reported round the tech world yesterday and fascinating, despite not being Symbian-related, is the announcement of the Olive FrvrOn, a phone with both Li-Ion and emergency AAA power(!) With the Symbian world springing out of Psion palmtops (1994-2000), most of which were powered by AA cells, I can't help thinking what a great 'best of both worlds' idea this is. Let's hope something similar comes to the Symbian (and Western) world sometime soon...

Read on in the full article.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

timsalmon is on a distinguished road
I've never understood why this hasn't been done before - long ago. Except for the physical size of the AAA. Looking at my Nexus One I don't think it would fit but it certainly could get into various Nokia devices (if other components were rejiggled maybe?). About time too, I say!

Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Unregistered

@steve: have you ever been to india? piles of rubbish everywhere and now think 1,1 billion people use AAA batteries in their phones and the amount of toxic waste.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:59 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Well, India is not all piles of rubbish everywhere you know. And this is just one phone that is offering AAA battery as an alternate source of power. What about the people in the other parts of the world using the rechargeable batteries. I suppose they dont count as toxic when they are to be disposed.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:05 AM

raffmonster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
@steve: have you ever been to india? piles of rubbish everywhere and now think 1,1 billion people use AAA batteries in their phones and the amount of toxic waste.
I go to India frequently on case studies and product familiarization. Regarding pollution, it's capital is way cleaner than Beijing as public transport is run on Natural gas which is pollution free.Do you know that in China, catalytic converters are not necessary on cars, and that you might have to wear a mask in some areas to prevent poisoning through air borne pollutants.Gives me the creeps whenever I'm to report there.

The point behind AAAs is that they are relatively easy to replace and relatively cheap to purchase (1 AAA in India= 10 Rupees=abt 0.07GBP= abt 0.05$)

AAAs are relatively cheaper to recycle/dispose safely than NiMh or NiCd(atleast in countries with only basic recycling systems).

My only concern is that it still has a LiIon.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM
ajay230ps

@steve Thanx for defendin India. U r true that our capital is more eco friendly than other.
@Unregister just mind ur own work rather than blaming someone else, first come to india and then comment on its pollution

Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
beijing

in my experience, a fair amount (all?) of public transport in bj also runs on lpg (or is that not the same as 'natural gas') and quite many of the buses run on electricity, as does the subway.

it's the private transport that is the concern, imo.

in any case, I think the air quality is mostly determined by weather conditions due to location, and in my experience from living there, it's not been an issue and the issue has been massively overstated.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:04 PM
ajay230ps

@malerocks and thanks to you too, being indian i jst tolerate someone insultin india
Ads

Old 08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
ajay230ps

@malerocks and thanks to you too, being indian i jst can't tolerate someone insultin india

Old 08-03-2010, 12:20 PM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Chill man, thats Ok. He is just voicing a perception that he has. We can help by giving him 1st hand information.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:51 PM
ajay230ps

@malerocks Ok i get it, apology if i over reacted. ;-)

Old 08-03-2010, 02:34 PM
Unregistered

Smile It's been done before, back in '96 I think

If I remember right there was a model (or perhaps a few more?) Alcatel GSM phone that was designed to use 2 AAA cells....a couple of years before the whose-phone-is-the-smallest war began. Quite like the design by that time actually

Old 09-03-2010, 11:35 AM
unregistered

Smile RE: Beijing

@David
Actually LPG is not used in vehicles at New Delhi, its CNG (Refered as Natural Gas by Rafe)

And second thing, we have a recycle plant in our capital where all the waste goes and is destroyed or recycled, and it expands over about 10 KM of area.

:P A lot of general info, now about the phone, its a nice step for future but i dont think it will last many years because NOKIA is running behind those self recharging batteries.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:18 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
@David
Actually LPG is not used in vehicles at New Delhi, its CNG (Refered as Natural Gas by Rafe)
ok...but anyway, LPG is better than regular petrol, I'd guess.

Quote:
And second thing, we have a recycle plant in our capital where all the waste goes and is destroyed or recycled, and it expands over about 10 KM of area.
I'm not sure how this is relevant. There is waste recycling in Beijing too, you know...I suppose it depends on how you define 'waste', but anyway. I guess they have some 'plants' to do it too, not that I've seen any...most of it is done by hand, at least at some point, since labour is so cheap.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Unregistered

No point fighting on which city is better... For everyone, his own country is best as it provides all his basic needs and keep him happy..
So please come on the topic AAA batteries.. can we really depend on them??