All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 10-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
AAS Insight 130 - Nokia C6, Ovi Store client, N8 Developer Day

In All About Symbian Insight 130, we start with an update on the ongoing Conspiracy for Good transmedia project. David Gilson then talks us through his first impressions of the Nokia C6. Rafe reports back from Nokia's N8 Developer Day in London, including details of the new Ovi Store client, which is expected to debut on the N8. Finally Steve leads a discussion on Q2's mobile device shipment numbers. You can listen to AAS Insight 129 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:04 AM

colinward is on a distinguished road
Link goes to old Podcast 129

Just a quick pointer that the link on this page is wrong and goes to the previous podcast!

Cheers.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Ah, I'll fix it for Rafe...

Old 10-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Unregistered

Nokia

Nokia have put themselves under loads of pressure with N8 by showing it off to early,we first found out about the N8 in April an now August an still no Sign of the phone being released,Why didn"t they keep the N8 Quite to the Public but just told the mobile Operators about the N8,an now if the Symbian3 software is buggy an not up to date people will start to ask what have Nokia been doing,we get there Budget touchscreen mobiles with the same body but just a different number on it,they better change that idea as well,as it just that Nokia are not willing to Invest to create better mobiles,N97 looks a good mobile an was let down by the software,Nokia better not switch to Android just to please the Americans as Symbian is alot better,how long will we have to wait for the first Meego phone from Nokia,well if its going to be like the N8,the 2nd quarter of 2011 to long from Nokia,so they better change there strategy if they want to produce Top Class mobile

Old 10-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Unregistered

nokia

Nokia have at last changed a Design of there New Budget Touchscreen mobile with the 5250 as the pressure from Samsung as got to them at last

Old 10-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Unregistered

Regarding the speed of the C6 music library refresh: how much music did you put on the device?
I have 20+Gb of music on a 32Gb, class 2 microSDHC card, and I recently tried using my 6220c as my primary music player, but the library refresh time made it unfeasible.
You mention that this is a problem on "most" S60 handsets. On which S60 handsets is this not a problem? Is the library refresh speed mainly a function of processor speed and/or RAM?
Cheers.
Ads

Old 10-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Administrator

The library refresh problem (as in takes an eternity) happens on just the X6 32GB and N97, also 32GB. I think it's an issue with the chips Nokia are using. 8-(

This shouldn't be confused with the 'library refresh takes ages with 20GB to index' issue you have - this is normal and only has to be done once. I'd guess about 90 minutes for that much music?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:51 AM

skinny is on a distinguished road
(I'm the poster of the music library refresh query)
Yeah the first refresh was epic, but also there was a significant (a minute or so) delay every time I opened the music player app and also significant (30secs or so) delays when browsing the music library (ie when opening an album/artist folder).
My memory's a bit foggy on this tho... I'll try again tonight and see how bad the delays really were.
I'm considering getting an E72 and I'd really like to use it as my music player. Do you have any experience using the E72 in such a way with a similar amount of music?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinny View Post
(I'm the poster of the music library refresh query)
Yeah the first refresh was epic, but also there was a significant (a minute or so) delay every time I opened the music player app and also significant (30secs or so) delays when browsing the music library (ie when opening an album/artist folder).
My memory's a bit foggy on this tho... I'll try again tonight and see how bad the delays really were.
I'm considering getting an E72 and I'd really like to use it as my music player. Do you have any experience using the E72 in such a way with a similar amount of music?
Ah yes, Ewan reported slow access to the music library on the 32GB version in his reviews. Ditto on the N97 - again, it's the slow chip, I think. 8-( Best keep the amount of music to 10GB or so. Shame, really.

Haven't tried lots of music on the E72, but it should be better as a 32GB microSD will be a much faster chip.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:38 AM

skinny is on a distinguished road
Ok it seems like I exaggerated the problem a bit... I now have some accurate stats:
Memorycard: 32Gb class 2 microSDHC card with 22Gb of music in 4583 files.
Phone: Nokia 6220 Classic S60v3 FP2.
Initial refresh took 28 minutes.
Refresh after adding 1 album of 13 songs took 2m26s.
Refresh after no change took 2m13s.
There's a 11/12 second delay when opening the music player app.
There's also a 11/12 second delay when browsing an album for the first time and also (occasionally) when returning back to the albums menu.
I'm reasonably happy with these times and it surely can only get better if I go for the E72.
My SanDisk Sansa Clip+ (the current and equally inadequate home for the memory card) takes about 24 minutes to do a full refresh, but it does this every time there's any change to the content and even if you just remove and reinsert the memory card with no change!
But it does allow rating songs and playing by highly-rated, which I missed when using the 6220c as my primary mp3 player.

Old 13-08-2010, 07:48 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Fern?

What's all this talk of ferns?