All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 23-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Is there an alternative for Nokia Internet Radio on on S60 5th Edition devices?

Nokia's own Internet Radio application - or rather its absence on its S60 5th Edition phones - left a pretty big hole in the power user's software catalogue. In this feature, Ewan investigates a number of (mostly free) alternatives - can you still stream radio to your smartphone in 2010?

Read on in the full article.

Old 23-04-2010, 04:56 PM

UKJeeper is on a distinguished road
The old original version of Internet Radio works on 5th edition, but you have to make/edit your own .pls file.

Used to use it happily all the time on my i8910, at least until almost all US stations were blocked outside the US.

Last edited by UKJeeper; 23-04-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Old 23-04-2010, 05:42 PM
Unregistered

I'm glad AAS did an article on this.

God sakes Nokia, just what on earth is the hold up for internet radio for v5?

Old 23-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Unregistered

It's like rocket science for Nokia

Old 23-04-2010, 06:05 PM
frustrated user

problem with ir and e90

I would be grateful for a tip how to change the volume in the Nokia Internet Radio.

e90 does not have volume keys on the outside. There are volume keys inside of the clamshell but the
app closes when you open the lid.
Ads

Old 23-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Unregistered

what about tune wiki

Tune wiki has a shoutcast button and it works very well, with loads of stations. I think its excellent

Old 23-04-2010, 06:47 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
I used tune Wiki on my n97 as well and it gives full shoutcast streaming and the app is free in the ovi store. worked great.

Old 23-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Unregistered

Just to mention a little confusion built up by a tiny orthographic error in this article. This "NRG" name you are refering to is only used by an Albanian station. The application you are discussing here is using the streams of diverses NRJ radios (with a J). Those stations are brands from NRJ International (http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/NRJ_International) that currently airs in more than 20 countries. In all those countries (speaking either deutsch, finish, english, ...) NRJ is called NRJ, not NRG. To complete, NRJ International a French group built on the original NRJ french radio (meaning "Energie" similar to the english "Energy).

Old 23-04-2010, 08:25 PM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
Nokia really does baffle me sometimes, why would they not continue one of the best things they have going for them? Steve I suggest use your Nokia convincing powers and compell them to make it like you did with Free Ovi Maps. you know they're reading!

Old 24-04-2010, 01:02 AM
michellebg

tunin.fm & tunewiki

I recently found a couple of nice applications that are working on the i8910, hyperx 3-29 rom.

tunin.fm - large selection of shoutcast stations organized by genre. not the slickest application but works.

&

tunewiki - used for viewing lyrics to music, but also has a tab for shoutcast stations. They have quite a large selection that should satisfy most people. They even have a youtube lookup tab, but it is currently not working on s60 devices. They are looking for beta testers though!

These 2 plus mobbler and my streaming needs are met.

Old 24-04-2010, 02:24 AM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
real or wma feeds

I used to use plain real audio streams to listen to the bbc when I was using Symbian and I use wma on Maemo. Aren't these good enough?

It would be nice to have RDS like features...is that the added value of these clients?

Old 24-04-2010, 06:11 AM
Unregistered

This is the reason why people are flocking to Iphone and Android.

Old 24-04-2010, 09:33 AM

raka is on a distinguished road
Why dismiss the Realplayer?

Since I have the 5800, now over a year already, I use the built-in Realplayer for listening to internet radio. Every Shoutcast or other radio streaming link I added to the E:/Videos map is bookmarked and will play fine in the Realplayer.

For instance, the direct link to the Dutch Radio 1 station stream is:

http://shoutcast.omroep.nl:8100/

When you copy this link (without any BBcode, so without the [url] tags) to an ordinary text file, name it "Radio 1.ram" and copy it to E:/Videos, the next time you open the Realplayer you can find it in the Streaming links folder.

Happy listening!

Last edited by raka; 26-04-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Old 24-04-2010, 09:40 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is the reason why people are flocking to Iphone and Android.
Lol..'flocking' to Android? Hahaha..you armchair analysts never give up do you?

Old 24-04-2010, 12:21 PM

daos is on a distinguished road
Coreplayer

Coreplayer is awesome application. So it is not compatible with 5th edition and has issues with its UI, you still can play ANY asf to wmv streaming (also known as mms://). Then all you need to find any site, that streams in WMP format, copy its address and play. You can save the address of streaming audio as .m3u or .asf extension and open it in Coreplayer.