All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
AAS Insight 113 - CwM China, E71 Maps, MetaCarta

In All About Symbian Insight 113, Ewan and Rafe share news of Nokia's acquisition of MetaCarta, the preview release of Symbian Web Tools and the addition of E71 and E66 compatibility to Ovi Maps 3.3. The major part of the podcast focuses on the launch of Nokia's Comes with Music in China, before ending with some thoughts on Apple's iPhone OS 4. You can listen to AAS Insight 113 here or, if you wish to subscribe, here's the RSS feed.

Read on in the full article.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:34 PM

Kietysack is on a distinguished road
iPhone experience

I've been a long time user of the nokia s60 since 7650. The improvement the phone have since them has been excellent. From 6600, N90, N93, N95, N95 8GB and the last phone I had was the nokia N97 which I though was good but here was something missing from it speed and the elegance of the UI. I was excited about the symbian 3 coming but wether the hardware would be there as well. The iPhone has a nice feel and smoothness in the UI, not to mention the app store which I love when updates are avaliable and gives you the notice so that you can update. When I heard iPhone OS 4 was coming that should make the phone a even better experience with the multi tasking and folders. I had always put the iPhone down and defended the nokia but after using it for a month I can see why people would like the iPhone compared the symbian platform.
Nokia N97

7650 > 6600 > N90 > N93 > N95 > N95 8Gb > N96 > 5800 XpressMusic > N97 White

Old 13-04-2010, 06:47 AM
Unregistered

CWM in China

I am in China and Chinese although look outward to a lot of foreign entertainment. But they primarily and natrually consume in majority Chinese culture songs and music. The local music industry is very vibrant given great contribution by HK, Mainland China and Taiwan. These local songs and products will definitely squeeze out the foreign songs. So the download and reach by Western music in China CWM with be very very limited indeed.

dkwok

Old 21-04-2010, 01:45 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am in China and Chinese although look outward to a lot of foreign entertainment. But they primarily and natrually consume in majority Chinese culture songs and music. The local music industry is very vibrant given great contribution by HK, Mainland China and Taiwan. These local songs and products will definitely squeeze out the foreign songs. So the download and reach by Western music in China CWM with be very very limited indeed.

dkwok
Right. The discussion on the podcast completely missed this. Of course the labels agreed to it. I doubt there's much piracy of the labels' music since not so many people are interested in western music here (in China) - most of the piracy is of Chinese music.

The involvement of the labels is irrelevant from the point of view of the user. The *only* thing that makes this interesting from the user point of view, is that it makes it easier to download tracks than using baidu or whatever - that's if it does make it easier (I've not used the service). I suppose some might be concerned about the legal aspect, but I doubt it.
Ads