All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 30-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Nokia versus Apple and those 'surprising' stats - it's a question of range

We live in interesting times. Nokia and Symbian (in particular) are regularly savaged in the tech press, yet managed to turn in (on Thursday) a surprisingly positive set of results, with over a billion Euros profit in Q4 2009 and with their smartphone market share up (not down, as the analysts would have you believe) 5%, worldwide. Read on for my thoughts on how Nokia has managed this particular feat and on why Symbian's market share is also not going away anytime soon - it's all a question of RANGE.

Read on in the full article.

Old 30-01-2010, 09:42 AM
Hung Yih

Wow, a holistic analysis Steve. Well done! =)

Old 30-01-2010, 09:48 AM

rexdude is on a distinguished road
Smile Wonderful post..

..and spot on.
It frustrates me no end that the tech news/blogging space is utterly dominated by clueless American bloggers and journalists. These people are the ones who have never seen a smartphone before 2007 and think that America is the world when it comes to smartphone markets.

Personally, I detest the control freak nature of Apple that manifests itself in all its products, not to mention I've been using Nokia since 2004, and been able to do much more than any iPhone for a long time.

Old 30-01-2010, 10:04 AM

tomsky is on a distinguished road
I'd like to add something to the analysis: geographic range.

Nokia is very prolific in developing countries and outside of the North-America/Western-Europe market. American companies like Apple tend to find it harder to make money in these markets because they tend to be larger volume, lower price markets, and their model is based upon high-end models not quite out of the reach of the masses, making lots of money from a small range of products.

Old 30-01-2010, 10:56 AM

Tenkom is on a distinguished road
My n95 8gb can run quake3. I consider that high power. My i8910 can run it at 640x360 resolution with max detail with decent framerates.

Old 30-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up Good article

Well done Steve, this is reality, Nokia is and will keep on the phone market as the world leader.

I've read some iPhone articles claiming that "Now" they can do VOIP, and I don't remember since when Nokia handset can do this.

jasonpich

Old 30-01-2010, 11:36 AM
Unregistered

I think the definitions should change - no phone with 320x240 screen resolution deserves to be called "smartphone" in 2010. This is low end, ugly, practically unusable for web browsing. How is that smart? Nokia E60 form 2005 had 352 x 416 resolution!

Old 30-01-2010, 11:39 AM

GJW is on a distinguished road
People tend to underestimate Nokia. I really was surprised to read that the Finns became the #1 seller of touch phones. Almost overnight, almost sneaking, very few pundits predicted it and... bang!

It's uncanny.

Old 30-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJW View Post
People tend to underestimate Nokia. I really was surprised to read that the Finns became the #1 seller of touch phones. Almost overnight, almost sneaking, very few pundits predicted it and... bang!

It's uncanny.
Absolutely fantastic, if you are interested in finance and markets shares. Not so much for a geek like me, who wants top, high end, fast modern phone with lots of memory, fast processor and nice UI...
Ads

Old 30-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Unregistered

unregistered wrote:

"I think the definitions should change - no phone with 320x240 screen resolution deserves to be called "smartphone" in 2010. This is low end, ugly, practically unusable for web browsing. How is that smart? Nokia E60 form 2005 had 352 x 416 resolution!"

Full browsing like iphone right ? With java and flash support ? Come on!!

Old 30-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Unregistered

2010, not 2009 on your signature at the end of the article =)

Old 30-01-2010, 01:05 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road

That photo of the 5530 reminds me how it bugs me that the speakers on all smart phones point away from the user. The 5530 looks like it has them facing the user, but it actually doesn't...why? why? why? How long before they realise the user is in front of the screen and so the speakers should point that way? Having them point in some other direction makes the treble and mid-range sound aweful. They could at least put a tweater in the front - they don't take much space.

The E90 even had them facing *backwards*!

Sigh.

/me wishing for speakers integrated with screen (perhaps having a woofer in the back).

Old 30-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Unregistered

@davidmaxwaterma

What?!

The 5530 HAS the speakers pointing at the user - what are you smoking? (Psst, pass the pipe.)

Old 30-01-2010, 02:53 PM
KPOM

I don't think it is "rationalizing" to divide the smartphone market into segments. Technology progresses, and what was a "smartphone" in 2002 is essentially a feature phone now. The fact of the matter is that Nokia will be a major seller of mobile phones for the foreseeable future and no one is disputing that. They are extremely efficient and can produce phones at a lower cost than anyone else. That means they will definitely benefit from sales in emerging markets.

The questions, though, are whether they will be limited to selling a commodity, and whether they will be able to leverage their large hardware market share to develop their software-oriented businesses. Those are real questions given the competition.

For all the talk about how "irrelevant" the North American market is, it is interesting that North American companies are the ones generating not only press interest but also increasing revenue and profits. Those companies are a real threat to Nokia's dominance of the most profitable ranges of the market. The profitable segment was once almost synonymous with the smartphone segment, but as the smartphone range is pushed lower and lower, it no longer is. It does make a difference where in the "range" Nokia's sales come from. Last quarter was an encouraging sign, with the average selling price creeping up, but it is still a question whether they can sustain it. It is interesting, though, that from the chart it appears Nokia doesn't even try to compete at the upper price ranges where Apple and RIM do.

In services, too, Nokia is struggling. They realize it is the way forward. Look how much time and money they spent trying, unsuccessfully to build N-Gage. Apple comes along with its SDK and suddenly has the most popular portable gaming devices in the iPod Touch and iPhone. There's a potential market lost.

As for the "app-phone" it was largely the anti-iPhone crowd who created this distinction back in 2007. One of the criticisms back then was that iPhone wasn't really a "smartphone" because it didn't have third party applications. Now that it utterly dominates the third party application market, I find it interesting how suddenly that tone has changed. For all the talk of the "improved" Ovi Store, it also should be pointed out that Ovi Maps, which was once hoped to be a source of significant software revenue from navigation and POI guides, has been repositioned as a bundled service (i.e. zero marginal revenue) to generate hardware sales. Again, it is an opportunity lost.

The bottom line is that while reports of Nokia's demise are clearly exaggerated, so are reports that all is well in Espoo.

Old 30-01-2010, 02:59 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
@davidmaxwaterma

What?!

The 5530 HAS the speakers pointing at the user - what are you smoking? (Psst, pass the pipe.)
Well, I could be wrong, if course, but I took a really close look at it and those grills on either side of the screen didn't actually have speakers underneath them[1]. If you have one and know this to not be true, I'd be happy to be wrong

[1] of course, one of them has the phone's speaker under it