All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 04-08-2004, 02:43 AM
willyboy666 willyboy666 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17
willyboy666 is on a distinguished road
missing infrared

i didnt read anything about infrared?? does it have infrared port?

  #2  
Old 04-08-2004, 08:20 AM
Delta737's Avatar
Delta737 Delta737 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Groningen, Holland
Posts: 2,286
Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Don't think so, just like the Nokia 7610 it lacks IR
__________________
UIQ Moderator --> herbert AT allaboutsymbian DOT com

  #3  
Old 09-08-2004, 04:22 AM
garcons50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I've seen a lot of people inquiring about IR in 7610 & 6630, but i fail to understand why. When you have BT, why would you need IR? Am i missing something?

  #4  
Old 09-08-2004, 05:37 AM
siewmai's Avatar
siewmai siewmai is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 26
siewmai is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcons50
I've seen a lot of people inquiring about IR in 7610 & 6630, but i fail to understand why. When you have BT, why would you need IR? Am i missing something?
Anyway is IR safer then BT?

  #5  
Old 09-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Delta737's Avatar
Delta737 Delta737 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Groningen, Holland
Posts: 2,286
Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Some people only have IR (on their laptop/PDA/other phone) so I guess that's why some people might want it.

IR is safer IMO, but BT is more advanced... I like BT very much, I would never buy a phone without anymore...
__________________
UIQ Moderator --> herbert AT allaboutsymbian DOT com

  #6  
Old 10-08-2004, 04:13 AM
garcons50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Why would you say IR is safer. Till date, BT hasnt been prone to viruses other than the cabir virus which didnt do any harm.
BT is so advanced, ever since i started using BT, i've even forgotten what IR stands for. ;-)

I remember when i had my N7250 and an IR port on the desktop, even if i moved the phone a little, it would loose connection, whereas with BT, even when i'm in the other room, i can transfer files with no problem. If its at a greater dist, the speed reduces, but atleast the files are transferred.

  #7  
Old 10-08-2004, 06:27 AM
Delta737's Avatar
Delta737 Delta737 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Groningen, Holland
Posts: 2,286
Delta737 is on a distinguished road
As I said, BT is more advanced (including the fact that it doesn't need an eye-to-eye connection). But have you ever heard of bluejacking and bluesnarffing. As I said, I like BT better, but IR is safer!
__________________
UIQ Moderator --> herbert AT allaboutsymbian DOT com

  #8  
Old 10-08-2004, 08:01 PM
willbrady's Avatar
willbrady willbrady is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,680
willbrady is on a distinguished road
If you only make your blutooth availible when transfering files - whats the problem??
Why not set your bluetooths visibility to invisible, or if your in a public place you can turn bluetooth off.
Even so - I don't see bluejacking as a problem, the user needs to accept any connection or download first, so you would ignore it would'nt you if you were worried about it.

Don't beleive the press hype...........
__________________
Brand New Goodies & Gadgets at Wholesale Prices!
www.ebaystuff.co.uk

  #9  
Old 11-08-2004, 06:22 AM
garcons50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta737
As I said, BT is more advanced (including the fact that it doesn't need an eye-to-eye connection). But have you ever heard of bluejacking and bluesnarffing. As I said, I like BT better, but IR is safer!
Yes have heard of Bluejacking, but i didnt find it dangerous at all. infact i tried it a couple of times too. The best part of having a Nokia is that when someone tries to BJ you, a msg will display on your Nokia whether you want to accept or deny, but on the other hand if you have a Sony Ericsson, there is no message, and the vcard is downloaded immed.

And if you want to avoid that, its best to use the BT only while transferring files and have it switched off otherwise. Plus having BT on 24/7 sucks up a lot of battery power too.

So i dont think you can say that IR is safe and BT isnt.

  #10  
Old 11-08-2004, 06:36 AM
Delta737's Avatar
Delta737 Delta737 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Groningen, Holland
Posts: 2,286
Delta737 is on a distinguished road
Look guys, I personally don't mind about the security flaws in BT, I LOVE BT! I always have BT on, visible mode, as I said I don't mind. But it is a fact that BT more unsafe.

And you don't need to accept anything with bluejacking, it just sends a vcard (which the other phone automatically accepts), I must admit I've done it myself once (and it is very much fun) so I didn't get it from a press hype.
__________________
UIQ Moderator --> herbert AT allaboutsymbian DOT com

  #11  
Old 11-08-2004, 11:57 PM
garcons50
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta737
Look guys, I personally don't mind about the security flaws in BT, I LOVE BT! I always have BT on, visible mode, as I said I don't mind. But it is a fact that BT more unsafe.

And you don't need to accept anything with bluejacking, it just sends a vcard (which the other phone automatically accepts), I must admit I've done it myself once (and it is very much fun) so I didn't get it from a press hype.
Delta,

You surely have to accept the Vcard in Nokia phones. I've tried it myself, and without accepting the Nokia doesnt download the vcard automatically. You should try it one more time with another Nokia in front of you.

Yeah BJ is surely fun

  #12  
Old 22-09-2004, 08:51 AM
jazzy1's Avatar
jazzy1 jazzy1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 431
jazzy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

After All This.

Plz Confirm It Have Ir Or Not

Plz Guys.

I Really Need That.

  #13  
Old 22-09-2004, 02:32 PM
andythe1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy1
After All This.

Plz Confirm It Have Ir Or Not

Plz Guys.

I Really Need That.

It do NOT have IR!

  #14  
Old 10-10-2004, 10:37 AM
alexandra_v's Avatar
alexandra_v alexandra_v is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 74
alexandra_v is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcons50
I've seen a lot of people inquiring about IR in 7610 & 6630, but i fail to understand why. When you have BT, why would you need IR? Am i missing something?

Garcons50 I am for BT but with my 6600 i had extreme problems to connect to PC Suite. After a time there was a period i couldnt connect throught my BT at all with PC Suite...i run all the advises in the relevant subject in the forum but nothing, nada, niente. So by the end i was forced to use the IR to make use of PC Suite. Now if similar problems occur with the provided software of Nokia for 6630...then yes...IR would be needed...but if i am correct the phone is also coming out with a USB cable....that would also be a solution in case of BT failure.

  #15  
Old 10-10-2004, 01:14 PM
jazzy1's Avatar
jazzy1 jazzy1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 431
jazzy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandra_v
Garcons50 I am for BT but with my 6600 i had extreme problems to connect to PC Suite. After a time there was a period i couldnt connect throught my BT at all with PC Suite...i run all the advises in the relevant subject in the forum but nothing, nada, niente. So by the end i was forced to use the IR to make use of PC Suite. Now if similar problems occur with the provided software of Nokia for 6630...then yes...IR would be needed...but if i am correct the phone is also coming out with a USB cable....that would also be a solution in case of BT failure.
ok !
Ads
 

Bookmarks

Tags
infrared, missing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
infrared, bluetooth and cardreader won't work :( Norretix12345 Nokia 6600 and 6620 7 27-07-2004 12:58 AM
Question about bluetooth vs. infrared mtaball Nokia 6600 and 6620 1 16-07-2004 09:14 AM
Compatible InfraRed Port with 3650 smashpOp Nokia 3650, 3660, and 3620 15 28-03-2003 02:39 PM
Improvised Infrared Orophin Anwarunya Nokia 7650 1 21-12-2002 02:26 PM
MA620 Infrared and XP Pro. trouble Nokia 7650 2 21-09-2002 07:56 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:05 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy