All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 29-07-2006, 10:01 AM

dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Article Mini-Review of the N73

Hi all,

Thought I would post a mini review of the N73, after 24 hours use...

In no order of importance...

1. The screen
The screen is very impressive. It's approx double the resolution (pixels) of the N70, and is the same resolution as the N80. However where it beats it's predecessors is in the physical dimensions of the screen. The N73 screen is the same physical width as both N70 and N80 but is 1cm taller than both of them. The icons and images are bright and sharp, text is very clear and not pixellated.

Two minor gripes on the screen (sort of)...
(a) The clear film screen protector supplied with all Nokia Handsets is no longer clear. It has a Nokia logo and the handset model printed across the centre in quite large font. This means you MUST remove the screen protector to use the phone. Maybe it's just me but I prefer to leave the clear film on the screen for a few months to keep the screen free from scratches.

(b) There's a very faint horizontal line showing on the screen, parallel to the bottom of the battery and signal meters. This is almost certainly part of the Nokia Standard Theme, but at first glance it looks like a line of faulty pixels. Don't panic though, when applications or images are displayed the line disappears. This is just me being picky!

2. Symbian O/S 3rd Generation
Near enough identical to the N80 Symbian as far as I can tell. The plus sides are a more secure environment than 1st and 2nd Editions of Symbian OS.

One downside of the improved security is that system and hidden folders are protected from viewing or editing contents of these folders, therefore programs like FEXPLORER will not offer the same level of functionality on the N73 and N80 as they did on previous models of Nokia Symbian phones.

Possibly the single most annoying (short term) downside of 3rd Edition is that almost all existing Symbian applications do not work, and the developers of these applications need to rewrite & recompile them for Symbian 3rd. Currently - as far as I know - there is no GPS Sat-Nav application that works properly on either the N80 or N73.

However I have to point out that the improvements to the Symbian OS 3rd edition far outweigh any short-term problems - progress is never easy. The N73 is going to be far too popular for commercial software companies to ignore, so expect to see compatible versions of TomTom 5 Mobile, and many other well known Symbian apps in the very near future.

3. Camera
Like the N80, the N73 has a 3.2 Megapixel camera.

Unlike the N80, the N73 has Carl Zeiss Optics, auto focus and a host of other features added. (for those who don't know, Carl Zeiss optics are used on many high quality Digital Cameras such as the Sony Cybershot range).

I haven't had enough time to play fully with the 3MP camera functions but I can say one thing - in low light (I was in a pub in Edinburgh last night) the picture quality is grainy and the colours are washed out and blotchy. ALL Nokia camera phones seem to suffer this problem - as do many other manufacturers of mobile phones - and Nokia need to realise that the LED FLASH just isn't powerful enough to compensate for low lighting, in my view.

The resolution and features of camera phones is now rivalling the mid range Digital Cameras so a proper flash unit needs be included in the future range.

4. Memory
SHOCK! HORROR! and DISGUST! Nokia do not bundle a free Mini-SD card with the N73. As far as i know, this is the first Nokia Smartphone since the 7650 which did not have a free memory expansion card bundled with the handset. WHY!!!!! Nokia have saved £5 or less by not incliding a 128Mb or 256Mb Mini SD Card.

On the plus side, I removed my SanDisk 1Gb Mini-SD card from a Nokia N80, and inserted it into the N73's memory slot - now on the base of the phone instead of the side - and all my N80 installed applications were recognised and automatically installed. The 3 or 4 UnTrusted Applications which did not automatically install were easily installed manually from the Application Manager tool.

5. SIM-Locking, Tarrif and Firmware
My handset came from Vodafone Online Shop, on a monthly contract and the handset is UNLOCKED - which was a major surprise as I thought only O2 supplied their contract handsets unlocked.

You now have 2 choices for a cheap(ish) N73.

O2 Online - £19 per month (12 month contract).
50 mins XNET Anytime, 300 SMS per month. Handset price TBA, but my guess is £70-£99. Delivery FREE
Total cost for handset and contract: estimated £327
Average monthly cost for comparison = £27.25

Vodafone Online - £25 per month (18 month contract),
200 mins XNET ANYIME, 250SMS. Handset is FREE and first 6 months is half price. Delivery £2.95
Total cost for handset and contract: estimated £378.
Average monthly cost for comparison = £21

Note the Vodafone is more expensive overall, but the longer contract makes the monthly outlay smaller than O2. Vodafone is also offering the significantly better inclisive minutes in their tarrif.

I admit that I could (and possibly should) have compared the O2 Online £25 18 month deal with the Vodafone one, but today I am aiming to compare the two CHEAPEST tarrif's from O2 and Vodafone. I believe the Vodafone tarrif would still have worked out better value for money than an 18 month O2 one, over the entire life of the contract. As always though, I am more than happy to be corrected!

Firmware on my Vodafone N73 handset is as follows:-
*#0000#
V2.0628.0.0.1
10-07-2006
RM-133
Nokia N73 (39.01)

I have not discovered any bugs so far, but please note that www.r66.com have recently withdrawn the Nokia N80 from their Route66 compatibility list, and the N73 isn't listed as compatible either.

www.r66.com recently emailed me stating that Firmware problems in the N80 are the cause of problems with their product, not the Route66 software.

There's 2 ways to interpret the r66 statement in relation to the date shown for the N73 firmware.

(a) Bugs present in the latest N80 Firmware could be present in the N73. There could even be additional bugs in the N73 firware as it's a new model just released.

(b) The current N73 firmware is almost 2 months more up-to-date than the N80 FW, and they both run on the 3rd-Edition of Symbian O/S and have very similar features, therefore most of the N80 FW bugs might have been fixed in the N73 FW.

6. N80 versus N73?
Always a topic for heated discussion but here's my view...

Simple Question: Do you want or need Wi-Fi ? If YES, then buy an N80, otherwise buy the Nokia N73.

Please feel free to discuss and dispute what I have said in this mini-review. I am keen to find out what other new N73 owners think of their latest handset.

Cheers,
Dez

Last edited by dez_borders; 29-07-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Old 29-07-2006, 12:09 PM

nj7 is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Good review.

Old 29-07-2006, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7
Thanks! Good review.
Many thanks.

Basically in my view there's 3 N-Series phones at the top of the league...

MUSIC LOVERS - Nokia N91

BUSINESS/TECHIES/WIFI - Nokia N80

COOL DUDES ON STREET - Nokia N73

Old 29-07-2006, 01:35 PM

Glyn81 is on a distinguished road
Hi I'm a newbie to the forum, looks good!

I just purchased an N73 after much research into the latest camera phones, it was initially between the K800i and the N73 but the Nokia won basically because I've pretty much become brand loyal and also wanted to try Symbian so I can install TomTom rather than take my aging iPAQ around with me.

I liked the above mini review and I also have had my phone for a few days, I ordered it online from Vodafone on Sunday night... received no confirmation email so Monday morning called up to see if it had been processed and I got through unknowingly at the time to the Telesales dept who are separate to the online orders dept who informed me no order was present (of course there isn't as they can't check the ONLINE orders) so the girl was keen to place my order over the phone which turns out was a bit of a better deal as I was offered next day delivery for free and same contract as online:- 200xnet anytime + 250 texts + Stop the clock where you only pay for the first 3 minutes of any call made off peak which is great as these minutes can eat out of the inclusive minutes! Example you could talk for an hour a day off peak and over a typical month you would only have used 90 of the 200 inclusive minutes. All this for 12.50 for first 6 months then 25 for remaining 12 months (18 month contract). So as promised my N73 arrived before 10AM on the Tuesday!!

BUT yesterday I received another N73 (the one I had ordered online!!!) So I sent it back with the postman and called customer services to explain and cancelled the order properly! Hope I don't get stung somehow.

Anyway back to the phone: Love the phone so far, sharp screen, great camera, looks great and not heavy or too large and the stereo speakers are cool. Also one good thing is the FM radio can now play on loudspeaker (still have to have headphones plugged in for reception though). Tried out the Sky TV on the 3G Vodafone Live (free for 1 month) not bad but as I suspected it was just clips rather than any live shows. I won't continue after the month free trial.

Negatives of the phone/package:
- No miniSD included - though on research 2GB are available for around 40.
- One dead pixel (But not significant enough to warrant hassle of returning)
- I found the camera slider a little bit flimsy (try tapping the top of it and you will see what I mean - me being picky though)
-Major annoyance is that TomTom is not compatible with the Series 60 v3, well not yet anyway :(

Negatives regarding Vodafone:
- No inclusive data allowance (I would get I think 1MB or so with O2)
- No inclusive MMS messages like you get with O2

Overall very happy though as I received the handset for free and the contract is better than the current offerings from other networks plus when I bought the N73 no other networks had launched it!

Old 29-07-2006, 10:39 PM

fmlad2002 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders
Many thanks.

Basically in my view there's 3 N-Series phones at the top of the league...

MUSIC LOVERS - Nokia N91

BUSINESS/TECHIES/WIFI - Nokia N80

COOL DUDES ON STREET - Nokia N73

Of course we have missed the N93 which is probably the best phone in the world

Old 30-07-2006, 09:12 AM

Cool

[quote=Glyn81]
Negatives of the phone/package:
- One dead pixel (But not significant enough to warrant hassle of returning)
- I found the camera slider a little bit flimsy (try tapping the top of it and you will see what I mean - me being picky though)
-Major annoyance is that TomTom is not compatible with the Series 60 v3, well not yet anyway :(

Hi Glyn,

My thoughts on the above comments, are as follows:-

Dead Pixel - If it was me I would send it back for an exchange, as that dead pixel will annoy you more and more each day.

Camera Slider - My slider seems OK, but people in these forums have complained about various Nokia slider phones (both where keyboard and/or camera have a slider. It seems its the luck of the draw whether or not you get one that seems firmly attached to the handset. One final comment on sliders, is that the N73 one is so much better both in looks and function than the N70 slider. I always hated that one, and it was so easy for the N70 slider to open whilst in your pocket etc.

TomTom - I asked TomTom Support recently relating to Nokia N80 version of TomTom and was informed a new release of TT was planned in the near future. If the new release works on the N80 it's almost certainly going to work on the N73 also. Just imagine how good the navigation maps are going to look on the N73's high resolution and taller screen!

Dez

Old 30-07-2006, 09:14 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmlad2002
Of course we have missed the N93 which is probably the best phone in the world
Hi m8,

I don't know much about the N93, so will take your word for it. Assume its EXPENSIVE compared to the other 3?

So we can add a fourth category...

N93 - Best all rounder... IF you can afford one.

Old 30-07-2006, 11:35 AM

john74 is on a distinguished road
what is the video like similar to N70/n80 or better?whats the highest resolution??640x480??

Old 30-07-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john74
what is the video like similar to N70/n80 or better?whats the highest resolution??640x480??
Good point! Video resolution. I think is 352x288, but not sure. How many fps - 15 or 30?

Old 30-07-2006, 05:03 PM

-[GT]- is on a distinguished road
nice review....any image samples?
Ads

Old 31-07-2006, 10:29 AM

zaphodmcmillan is on a distinguished road
Your data in included in your text package.

500 txt works out at 25mb I think, or a combination there off. I think picture messages are the same

Old 31-07-2006, 04:34 PM

To dez_borders and Glyn81, could you confirm the max video resolution and fps? Thanks.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:47 PM

Glyn81 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj7
To dez_borders and Glyn81, could you confirm the max video resolution and fps? Thanks.
352x288 in MP4 format

not sure on the FPS

Old 01-08-2006, 01:37 PM

Already confirmed - equal an N70 - 352x288 - 15fps! If it is 30fps, could beat N93 in video, because beats N93 in photo... for now... in the reviews!

Old 01-08-2006, 01:45 PM

Here a comparison between K800i and N73: http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...t=51836chamber