All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-02-2008, 10:56 PM

what_is_life is on a distinguished road
W950i Can't Call/Text

Hey guys, first post, so kind of a newb here. Anyways, I've got a serious problem with my w950i: it won't make any calls/text or receive them. When I turn the phone on I get "Sim card error contact service provider" regardless of any sim I use. I've unlocked the phone and debranded it as I though this might help, but it hasn't. I have a call icon with a big cross through it, which states that calls are unavaliable, due to GPRS settings. I've tried messing round with the settings, but no joy. After debranding it, I used the connections manager to get the web settings (for o2, it was originally locked to orange, but never worked then either, even with an orange sim card) though I think this only picked up the wap version of the GPRS. Had the phone now for a month and I'm getting desperate now Any help would be very muchly appreciated
Ads

Old 07-02-2008, 11:47 AM

Gebbly is on a distinguished road
"call icon with a big cross through it, which states that calls are unavaliable, due to GPRS settings"

you havent got the phone set to do "3G only" have you? Thats about the only reason I can think the phone would need gprs settings in order to make a phone call.

To check go to Tools > Control Panel > Connections > Mobile Networks > More > GSM/3G Networks

Old 07-02-2008, 12:16 PM

It's set to GSM and 3G. It's weird: I get bars of signal, and my network comes up, but it just won't let me make/take calls/texts. Since I get bars of signal, I'm pretty sure my phone hasn't been barred from the network or anything. I have no idea why it says "Sim card error, contact service provider" even though I've tried multiple sims from various networks, and they all come up with that error. I hope there isn't something internally wrong with the phone I can't fix:| I've tried getting the settings for GPRS from SE, but they text them to you, and I can't receive texts:| I Wonder if someone could back up their w950i (of they're on o2) and send me the settings? Then I could use my backup manager to put those settings on my phone. I think that might help. Any other suggestions? Thanks for all the input

Old 07-02-2008, 12:31 PM

Just some more information here: I've tried switching to GSM only, which is what the technical help told me to do for my phone (this was orange tech help, but I'm wanting to use my o2 sim card) and they told me to switch it to GSM only. I did this but I get no network:| I just get signal bars and no network. I think this might be strange, as I was under the assumption tor W950i can work on GSM only. I've tried to manually add my network on GSM through the manual add network wizard, however it detects o2 Uk (good) then says it's registering, and it never does register:\
Also, it won't connect to the internet:S Even though after I reflashed my phone and it apparently got the o2 settings. It says the server(WAP server) is wrong when trying to connect to the internet:|Just adding that in case it helps to give me any more information. Cheers.

Last edited by what_is_life; 07-02-2008 at 12:47 PM.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:09 PM

Gebbly is on a distinguished road
Where did you get the phone from?

Getting bars of signal strength does not mean the phone has not been barred it just indicates the strength of possible signal from your phone to the nearest base station (those big phone pylons)

I suggest whilst trying to fix the phone you keep it in "GSM only" mode as that is the area giving problems.

Since the phone shows bars of signal strength then the GSM hardware should be working.

My next guess would be that the hardware that interfaces with the sim card is faulty as the phone is not detecting a sim. Without a sim you wont get a network. For something this serious I would return the phone to the retailer and ask for a new replacement.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:51 PM

Well, it does pick up the network (it has o2 UK in the background), and I can copy all my contacts from SIM, if that helps. So I don't think it's a sim thing. But I'm still clueless as to why GPRS settings would prohibit me from making/taking texts calls:S Hmm, I've now somehow got it working on GSM mode, but there's still a cross through a little phone saying "Calls not allowed GPRS" but i'm pretty sure the GPRS settings aren't right, as I get errors trying to go on the internet (it says wrong wap server or something)

Last edited by what_is_life; 07-02-2008 at 04:56 PM.