All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 01-06-2008, 10:11 AM
tigerfox tigerfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
tigerfox is on a distinguished road
* Warning To Those With Orange Firmware *

Hello,
Anyone with Orange UK branded N95 will find that the lastest firmware available to them is 13.0.0.x at moment.

DO NOT feel tempted to debrand and update the firmware yet.

Ive had a few nokia Nseries. I always debrand away from Orange firmware as it has always been the major downfall of any handset. This is the first and only firmware upgrade that i have regreted. Alot.

The old generic firmware (pre 20.x.x.x) seems went to about 12.x. before jumping to v20 then v21. That v12 + v20 was extremely poor, however there has been no memtion of the stability or performance of the Orange v13 firmware.
This in fact is an extremely stable firmware, it is advanced with its usability as the newer v21.x.x firmware. Problems that people had with upto v20 firmware were non existant on the v13- bluetooth worked well with all headsets, maps loaded quick and locked on well. battery indicator gave consistantly true indication. messages, gallery etc all loaded quickly.
Unfortunately i didnt realise this until after i upgraded to the new firmware.

Looking and using through EVERY feature and setting on the handset, The only following user differences i found were-
*I now have voip service available on the handset (but not sure ill personally use)
*menues have changed around a bit.
*dedicated podcasting area in music player (i personally wont use)
*if on gprs and another application tries to use a different gprs connection point it aks to shut down old and start new. (in some ways usefull other ways annoying)
default year at 2008.
*N-gage added to firmware (but i already had from nokia anyway and have now lost my free fifa08 :( )

The problems that i now have with the handset are-
*battery indicator doesnt indicate true power remaining very well any more,
*gps maps loads slightly slower (thats with all the map landmarks switched off and full maps preloaded into memory card)
*tools folder into settings menu - loads fractionally slower.
*previously able to do a few different web based applications at same time with different apn. now it will forse me to have only one active apn at a time.
* GPS module is slower than v13 in showing exactly possition on map while moving. (ie would show you as about 60 meteres behind where you actually are when traveling at 40miles/hour. easy to then miss that last minute turn off or tun into the wrong side street. happened to me).

Things that people were unhappy about, but v13 users already had solved were
* image rotation in album view already works as should,
*bluetooth worked properly
*flash worked for things like yourtube etc
*wrinting long text in web pages would automatically take you to a tet page for easier to write the text
*browsing from lan just same.

There are a few other things that can be compared, but the point is that Orange V13.x.x is very good indeed. It seems that it is better than the v20 generic and newer v21 generics.


Anything ive stated here dont include in micro technical bug fixes. I use all features on the n95- from email, installed live messenger, maps, content copier, blog, web via gprs wifi, cameras (both of them) video, music player, 3g video calling, gps possitioning (for hiking), bluetooth, output to tv, radio, live streaming, remote pc control fom n95, etc etc. so id say my observations are not based on some whim nor are they based without checking ALL settings and combinations of usage first.

So thought id just give this information to anyone with lucky v13 firmware. dont upgrade just yet.




admin dunno if you can find tech details of v13 orange firmware and insert into the middle area of the "latest firmware" section for use as comparison?

thanks

  #2  
Old 01-06-2008, 12:08 PM
ccraig's Avatar
ccraig ccraig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ,UK
Posts: 472
ccraig is on a distinguished road
Trust me v13 is no way better than v20 or v21 if it was nokia wouldn't invest millions in upgrades they'd just use v13 firmware and stick that on all phones ,
we all know the v20 upgrade on n95-1 was a little buggy but most of that was ironed out in v21 thats why much wasn't added b/c they worked on boosting performance
the reason there wasn't many problems pre v20 was b/c they was just letting the phone use it's natural performance but in later upgrades they put in measures to boost the ram and make the performance more ram friendly .
v21 in my opinion was a great update and I've never had a problem although i don't use my n95 as much these days b/c i prefer my N95 8gb for the things i do on a device
your never going to get everyone agree as some people have hardly any problems and a lot of the time it depends on what you have installed, how full with data device is and what u use your phone for.
all these affect you performance

just my opinion any way
__________________
Soccer players do it for 90 minutes in 11 different positions.

Last edited by ccraig; 01-06-2008 at 05:05 PM.

  #3  
Old 01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Steve_R's Avatar
Steve_R Steve_R is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Warwickshire, England
Posts: 262
Steve_R is on a distinguished road
My N95 was sodding awful on Orange V13.... debranding and updating turned it into the phone it was supposed to be, before Orange rips the heart out of it......
__________________
M'Blog - http://thenokianetwork.com/

Frustrated Nokia fan, running an old skool E71

Follow Me on Twitter

  #4  
Old 01-06-2008, 03:29 PM
dez_borders dez_borders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,684
dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfox View Post
Anyone with Orange UK branded N95 will find that the lastest firmware available to them is 13.0.0.x at moment.

DO NOT feel tempted to debrand and update the firmware yet.
V13 FW (including Orange variant is about 1 year old now).

V13 does not have DEMAND PAGING therefore is crippled in regards of memory allocation for running more than one app at a time.

However, I do agree with your comment on de-branding. De-branding cost me my 2yr warranty as Nokia would not repair my faulty N95 when they detected the FW in my handset was higher than supported on an Orange handset.
__________________
Phone History: Nokia 3310,7650, 6680, N70, N80, N95, N83, N96, N97...? HTC_Desire (with FroYo 2.2)

  #5  
Old 01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
lovesign's Avatar
lovesign lovesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 1,018
lovesign is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfox View Post
Hello,
Anyone with Orange UK branded N95 will find that the lastest firmware available to them is 13.0.0.x at moment.

DO NOT feel tempted to debrand and update the firmware yet.

<SNIP>

thanks
What a load of old tosh. I want the last two minutes of my life back please.
__________________
Rob (aka Failed Muso)

I Hate People Who Take Drugs.....

Customs Men For Example


V 22.0.110
(Custom Version 22.0.110.C01.01)
11-06-10
RM-505
Nokia N97

v 21.0.004
(Custom Version 21.0.004.209.03)
01-07-2010
RM-559
Nokia X6-00

6110 > 7110 > 6210i > 8210 > 7650 > 6600 > 6680 > N73 > N95 > 5800> N97 > X6

  #6  
Old 03-06-2008, 12:27 AM
leoni1980 leoni1980 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 80
leoni1980 is on a distinguished road
....and what about the fact that since the last 2 firmware updates we've actually been able to USE our cameras, and use them well; not force our subjects to stand perfectly still for ten minutes as if I was attempting to snap them on a Victorian box camera.

  #7  
Old 05-06-2008, 09:16 PM
tigerfox tigerfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
tigerfox is on a distinguished road
you guys have problems

you guys talk about camera prolems, things not working etc etc before upgrading to higher firmware.

While n orange varient 13.0.0.4 phone worked really quick. ive always been able to play music in background, while surfing. And randomply take calls while doing the other two.
And i have even taken pics while i had sype running in background, and music playing and had wap running in bg.
Dunno why on earth i decided to upgrade as now after a few days of trying, phone is as sluggish as n73. camera now takes time to start up if i have other apps running in bg. nokia maps tracking possition is slow and time-lagging.
and what really bugs the hell out of me now is all day i can have full battery... infact it will show full battery for 2 days in a row (as long as havent used much). But as soon as i use properly, the "true" battery life shows and it drains within very short period.
it didnt do that before. It would gradually decreas the power indicator so i have a real sense of how much power i had. and not mis-led into thinking more power than have.

By sounds of it also, i dont think that anyone who has replied is "lieing" about what they think- it seems to me that anyone could have any firmware and, apart from the big bug fixes, can pretty much have randomly a great working phone or a really crap one.

so i wonder if maybe the problems are more deeper? like maybe there is open random variables within the phones? possibly thikning that the WAY in which the phone loads firmware can be slightly different each time and so can effect how well it runs?

Or maybe the natural quality of the electronic components have not been requested to be within tight limits. and so one person may have some good components while another may have same but teh silicone is slightly different and causes different experience?

i still regret upgrading.

But now i have im wanting to get most of what i have. anyone tell me how to use this internal voip feature?

and anyone else got any thoughts on this firmware prob?
Ads

  #8  
Old 05-06-2008, 09:23 PM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Just one quick question.
After you debranded and upgraded the firmware did you restore from Backup in any way, shape or form?

  #9  
Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM
jdushe jdushe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 51
jdushe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dez_borders View Post
V13 FW (including Orange variant is about 1 year old now).

V13 does not have DEMAND PAGING therefore is crippled in regards of memory allocation for running more than one app at a time.

However, I do agree with your comment on de-branding. De-branding cost me my 2yr warranty as Nokia would not repair my faulty N95 when they detected the FW in my handset was higher than supported on an Orange handset.
It is dated 10th Jan 2008. From my observations it is as least as good as v20.

  #10  
Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 PM
lovesign's Avatar
lovesign lovesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Suffolk, UK
Posts: 1,018
lovesign is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfox View Post
you guys talk about camera prolems, things not working etc etc before upgrading to higher firmware.

While n orange varient 13.0.0.4 phone worked really quick. ive always been able to play music in background, while surfing. And randomply take calls while doing the other two.
And i have even taken pics while i had sype running in background, and music playing and had wap running in bg.
Dunno why on earth i decided to upgrade as now after a few days of trying, phone is as sluggish as n73. camera now takes time to start up if i have other apps running in bg. nokia maps tracking possition is slow and time-lagging.
and what really bugs the hell out of me now is all day i can have full battery... infact it will show full battery for 2 days in a row (as long as havent used much). But as soon as i use properly, the "true" battery life shows and it drains within very short period.
it didnt do that before. It would gradually decreas the power indicator so i have a real sense of how much power i had. and not mis-led into thinking more power than have.

By sounds of it also, i dont think that anyone who has replied is "lieing" about what they think- it seems to me that anyone could have any firmware and, apart from the big bug fixes, can pretty much have randomly a great working phone or a really crap one.

so i wonder if maybe the problems are more deeper? like maybe there is open random variables within the phones? possibly thikning that the WAY in which the phone loads firmware can be slightly different each time and so can effect how well it runs?

Or maybe the natural quality of the electronic components have not been requested to be within tight limits. and so one person may have some good components while another may have same but teh silicone is slightly different and causes different experience?

i still regret upgrading.

and anyone else got any thoughts on this firmware prob?
Well, TBH, I couldn't disagree more.

Since upgrading to v20 and above I have had fewer problems and a vastly improved experience.

My camera starts up in a about 2 secs, I can run multiple apps with no noticeable performance issues. For example, I frequently run TomTom and Music player, all connected to my Bluetooth Head Unit, make and receive calls, run SportsTracker and other web based bits and bobs with everything running as sweet as a nut.

I seriously doubt that random components have anything to do with it. Nokia run massive production lines where components are bought in bulk, so it couldn't just be random mixtures of parts.

v20 introduced Demand Paging, something that v13 didn't have and there is no way that v13 could be faster then v20 because the multi tasking technology just wasn't in v13.

Personally, I believe you have a case of either a slightly corrupted FW or, as someone has already postulated here, you have upgraded the FW and then reinstalled a backup from your card that contains apps installed on the old FW. It is common knowledge that doing this causes many issues and that the best way to upgrade is to uninstall everything, reformat the memory card, upgrade the FW, then reinstall all apps. Painstaking, but guaranteed to ensure a smooth working system.
__________________
Rob (aka Failed Muso)

I Hate People Who Take Drugs.....

Customs Men For Example


V 22.0.110
(Custom Version 22.0.110.C01.01)
11-06-10
RM-505
Nokia N97

v 21.0.004
(Custom Version 21.0.004.209.03)
01-07-2010
RM-559
Nokia X6-00

6110 > 7110 > 6210i > 8210 > 7650 > 6600 > 6680 > N73 > N95 > 5800> N97 > X6

  #11  
Old 06-06-2008, 10:21 PM
tigerfox tigerfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
tigerfox is on a distinguished road
ian ross- no i didnt use back up at all. i read the warnings about doing that.
I did obviouse save and restore my contacts though.

Last edited by tigerfox; 06-06-2008 at 10:22 PM. Reason: spelling

  #12  
Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 PM
tigerfox tigerfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
tigerfox is on a distinguished road
oh and ive also noticed that since upgrade my camera orientation detection doesnt seem to work for the correct angles either.

Its more sluggish than before. Infact its not MORE sluggish, as before it wasnt sluggish at all, It was instant. And trust me, when i had 13.0.0.4 it was supper sweet compared to now. Camera opened in 2 seconds, now i wait 5.
And multi tasking worked a dream. Oh why oh why.

Im seriously thinking of possibly a re-install?

  #13  
Old 06-06-2008, 11:10 PM
ccraig's Avatar
ccraig ccraig is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: ,UK
Posts: 472
ccraig is on a distinguished road
you cant downgrade firmware with NSU and standard apps

i came across a tutorial on how to do it which was so complicated to understand so unless you want to follow a tutorial on how to do it and brick your phone go ahead. but theres no way to do it whats easy and risk free
__________________
Soccer players do it for 90 minutes in 11 different positions.

Last edited by ccraig; 06-06-2008 at 11:23 PM.

  #14  
Old 07-06-2008, 08:48 AM
dez_borders dez_borders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,684
dez_borders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfox View Post
oh and ive also noticed that since upgrade my camera orientation detection doesnt seem to work for the correct angles either.

Its more sluggish than before. Infact its not MORE sluggish, as before it wasnt sluggish at all, It was instant. And trust me, when i had 13.0.0.4 it was supper sweet compared to now. Camera opened in 2 seconds, now i wait 5.
And multi tasking worked a dream. Oh why oh why.

Im seriously thinking of possibly a re-install?
Try re-applying the latest de-branded FW with NSU, then format both the internal memory and the memory card (you can backup the card contents with a PC card reader or data mode before formatting - do not restore a PC Suite backup after the FW flash).

Seriously, V20 and V21 are miles ahead of V13. Try running it for a few days on a ccompletely initialised N95 - both internal and external memory clean.
__________________
Phone History: Nokia 3310,7650, 6680, N70, N80, N95, N83, N96, N97...? HTC_Desire (with FroYo 2.2)

  #15  
Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM
tigerfox tigerfox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 44
tigerfox is on a distinguished road
thanks ccraige. but i was meaning a re-install of the upgraded firmware. seems to me something has definately gone wrong.

One thing i did NOT do was format memroy card. However its same with or without Memory card anyways.

Well here goes a reinstall.....
 

Bookmarks

Tags
firmware, orange, warning

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Orange V13 Firmware & Debranding micscave Nokia N95 and N95 8GB 9 18-05-2008 06:18 PM
Camera focus warning tones issue after firmware update neuro2006 Nokia N95 and N95 8GB 1 20-09-2007 11:22 PM
New firmware debranded Orange handset problems. james_preedy Nokia N95 and N95 8GB 6 04-05-2007 06:58 AM
Firmware Flashing to Remove Orange Homescreen - BANNED! naxtek Nokia N80 4 30-05-2006 09:39 AM
Orange (UK) launch MMS services - 40p per message Rafe Symbian OS News 9 15-08-2002 09:54 PM



All times are GMT. The time now is 09:44 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy