All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 13-05-2003, 10:58 AM

The Godfather is on a distinguished road
Ram problem

Hi everyone! I am noticing a problem on my 9210i: I have to format my device every 15 days because after a while my 9210i gets really slow. Once when I formated I used to have 4.3mb of ram after format and after re-boot, but now after a fresh format I only have 3.8mb of ram!! How could this be? Plus,after some days of usage my ram falls dowm to 3.6mb after re-boot!!! What's going on? It seems like a memory leek!!! I REALLY DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!
Any advice or similar experience??

Thanx...
Ads

Old 13-05-2003, 09:47 PM

I've only formatted my 9210i twice. I seem to have dropped from 4.2 to 4.1 after restart with only appman running after about 5 days. This drops to 3.5 with Desk and Tel running as well. I think I have a few more notes in Desk and I think I have read somewhere that notes consume RAM.

Old 13-05-2003, 10:03 PM

Tomahawk is on a distinguished road
Sorry - forgot to log in - that was me.

Old 13-05-2003, 10:04 PM

Wonderstuff is on a distinguished road
>Hi everyone! I am noticing a problem on my 9210i: I have to format my
>device every 15 days because after a while my 9210i gets really slow.

That sounds like a pain the the ass! I haven't reformatted my device since May, 02.

>Once when I formated I used to have 4.3mb of ram after format and
>after re-boot, but now after a fresh format I only have 3.8mb of ram!!
>How could this be? Plus,after some days of usage my ram falls dowm to
>3.6mb after re-boot!!! What's going on? It seems like a memory leek!!! I

Well the amount of free RAM available is dependent upon the std OS needs plus amount of resources taken up by user installed apps and icons used to represent these in Extras, files, a colourful background and notes on Desk, and the amount of messages in the Messaging server (Messaging caches all headers of messages, whether they be in inbox, sent items, etc).

If you boot up your device (with the same ROM) after a format with no MMC in place and phone sid eoff, the amount of free memory will always be the same everytime. Otherwise something magical is happening :-)

Wonderstuff

Old 14-05-2003, 08:36 AM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
Things that can influence your ram:
a big log (clear it if you have much communication)

apps that always have something in memory
smartmemory, appman, task manager, mail sheduler from Cibenix, autostart daemons ...

shortcuts on desk: shortcuts use a lot of memory after a while. Don't use the standard note form Desk either.

Your mail box, there is an app which is alway sin memory called "you have" I have a feeling that more messages in your inbox makes it harder to search through and therefor decrease your ram.

I start off with 3.5 mb and go down to 2.9mb (my 9210 has a major memory leak what can you expect with v3.18 )

I can only suggest to keep an eye on what you install, maybe one of your apps really has a memory leak (report those to the creators) and clear the logs.
Since deleting all your ini files seems to make your communicator faster 2 I suspect that some programs just keep filling their ini files.

good luck ...

Old 20-05-2003, 02:15 PM

Memory card

I had a problem with my memory card. First I thought that the whole computer was becoming slow. later I found out that my memory card did not make always the right contact. I cleaned the contact with a rubber pencil eraser ( the best tool for cleaning gold contacts) And, indeed it was better.
Still kept the problem and solved it by putting a small piece of paper under the cover for the mem card. My problem is fully solved now.
Huib van den Oever

Old 22-05-2003, 10:04 AM

I have another question: The 9210i has 8mb ram,right? How come I only saw up to 4.4mb ram only after format or re-boot? Where are the other 4mb?

Thanx... :P

Old 22-05-2003, 11:54 AM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
the symbian OS running

Old 22-05-2003, 04:24 PM

In what way? ops:

Old 22-05-2003, 05:15 PM

TheSpecialBoy is on a distinguished road
Like all the OS, the 9210 OS needs memory to run.

The best way is to look at your installed apps, like dazler sugested, and eliminate the ones that you don`t use :fadein:

Old 23-05-2003, 12:52 AM

Thank-you guys...I really appreciate ypur advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P