All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 19-03-2008, 09:38 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb N82 with 3 months free navigation - HOW?

Just received a new Nokia N82 on O2 Postpay/Contract.

Box outer states that it comes with "3 months navigation and local maps, on a 2gb memory card".

Can anyone tell me HOW this works - do I need to start this straight away, or can I hang on until I first have need of navigation and THEN get 3 months free trial.

Also, how do I get it - there was no code in the box, so how does it know?

What are other users experiences of this, if any of you also have this model/pack...?

Thanks for any info all.

Old 20-03-2008, 01:47 AM

Aye Up is on a distinguished road
I got this particular model, then sent it back. Essentially it asks to connect to Nokia Maps for purchase/license options, I believe then it checks the IMEI against Nokia's Database then enables the 3month Navigation. It may not be it exactly but it works in a similar fashion I believe. So no you don't have to enable it straight away providing you don't use maps.

Old 20-03-2008, 11:04 AM

yade is on a distinguished road
Worked fine for me, when I started maps it asked to connect then it says registering license.
To be honest I use Navicore anyway but Maps 2.0 can almost convince me to switch!

Old 20-03-2008, 12:04 PM

shadamehr is on a distinguished road
Excellent news - thanks guys.

@ Aye_Up: Can I ask what it was made you decide to return it?

Edit: So you don't think it will matter that I have switched the original card to my own larger card, and just added my own maps? It's not something on the card then?)

Last edited by shadamehr; 20-03-2008 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Add a question

Old 31-03-2008, 07:04 PM

Aye Up is on a distinguished road
The reason why I returned it is it isn't as good as the N95 8GB, I don't like how both stereo speakers are positioned on one side of the phone, I like distributed sound coming from both sides. I don't tend to use a phone in landscape either and this phone was geared towards that notion.

Aside from that it was a crackin well built phone, GPS lock on and what have you is a million times better than any of the N95 models.

As for you later question it wouldn't make a difference if you moved to a larger card, as long as the maps program was saved the phone memory and not external then all should be fine.
Ads

Old 13-05-2008, 10:11 AM

koichirose is on a distinguished road
I too have a Nokia N82 with (not yet activated) 3-months free navigation, I was wondering: what if i switch to Nokia Maps 2.0 beta and then activate the 3 months (would be nice for the summer)?
Is that possible? Thanks