All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 24-06-2010, 10:19 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The changing shape of Nseries - no scaremongering, just the facts

Nokia's quoted comments regarding the future of its Nseries devices have been causing much comment in the media in last few days. This editorial puts some perspective into the story - Nseries devices only represent around 12% of Nokia's Symbian portfolio and the evolution of the brand towards Maemo/MeeGo had been signposted since Autumn 2009. Moreover it is vital to understand that MeeGo and Symbian are complimentary parts of Nokia's overall software strategy. Read on for further analysis of the evolution of Nseries and a number of salient facts.

Read on in the full article.

Old 24-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Unregistered

A good article again.

Reality is that Symbian OS sales is about to explode, because current S40 phones will be gradually replaced with Symbian models.

Old 24-06-2010, 10:54 PM

jfourgeaud is on a distinguished road
Rafe, I am glad that someone takes the time to write a comprehensive and well documented article to stop all the noise going around for the past couple days.
What has been obvious for quite many of us is still a mystery for a certain category of journalists.

Adding a bit of "history" in the discussion.
Nokia's existing consumer base is huge.
In the past 3 years, the UI of S40 devices has been converging towards the experience available on Symbian.
This enables Nokia to bridge the gap between lower and higher range platforms, making it easier for its consumers to move from one to the other.
Consumer's phones evolves with them, offering new opportunities, but keeping the experience consistent.
Looking at the "game changers" of the past couple of years, they all have in common the "novelty" of their UI/UX.
Nokia could not afford renewing the Symbian UI from one day to the other, Symbian needed to be consistent.
That is when Maemo entered the mobile computer segment.
From Maemo to Meego, Intel provides new opportunities and Meego is now the powerhorse of Nokia.
Its customer base belongs to a completely different segment than any Symbian devices.
Meego lives on the edge, and any innovation that matures and becomes a benefit for the masses will make it to Symbian.
Meego is the F1, while Symbian powers the mass production cars, where sedans, sports and coupe share the market.

And most of all, one can not go without the other. They need each other to survive and grow!

Old 24-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Unregistered

@jfouregard

What noise?

Only a few bloggers repeating inaccurate rumours. They should have been paying attention to Nokia last year at Nokia World and Capital Markets Day. Do you jump every time you hear a rumour? Maybe you should spend less time in "The Shallows" of social media sites. Less time on the internet is healthy.

There is a much bigger problem with the statements: MeeGo is not ready for the mass market yet, the integeration is a long way away. Nokia says 10-15 per cent of all devices sale be MeeGo this year. Nokia predicts 1.26bn device shipments for 2010 - so that is 126-189 million MeeGo devices to ship between now and the end of December.

So Nokia's numbers don't add up.

Old 24-06-2010, 11:22 PM

alphamusic is on a distinguished road
Thank you for putting so much effort into clarifying this issue. When I first saw a headline pronouncing the death of Symbian, I came straight here for answers. It's nice to see there is now an informed response to all the buzz.

Old 24-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamusic View Post
Thank you for putting so much effort into clarifying this issue. When I first saw a headline pronouncing the death of Symbian, I came straight here for answers. It's nice to see there is now an informed response to all the buzz.
This non-issue has been clarified from time to time since 2008 . Don't believe the hype. Looking forward to Meego and S^4.

Old 24-06-2010, 11:52 PM
RealityCheck

redefining what we consider a smartphone?

Oh come on, this is absurd. Are you really trying to claim that MeeGo is any more advanced than iOS or Android? Symbian is over, MeeGo represents some hope for Nokia, but they are still years behind the big new competitors in the smartphone market.

Old 24-06-2010, 11:55 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What noise? Only a few bloggers repeating inaccurate rumours. They should have been paying attention to Nokia last year at Nokia World and Capital Markets Day.
I thought it was an issue worth addressing because there does seem to be confusion around this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nokia says 10-15 per cent of all devices sale be MeeGo this year. Nokia predicts 1.26bn device shipments for 2010 - so that is 126-189 million MeeGo devices to ship between now and the end of December.

So Nokia's numbers don't add up.
I think you're mistaken here. The 10-15 per cent you refer to is net sales - not number of devices. They are also for 2011 not 2010. Will be about selling fewer expensive devices. Oh and the 1.26 bn device shipment is the whole market - Nokia is around 40% of that.

Old 25-06-2010, 12:33 AM

argh is on a distinguished road
Mobile computers

Nokia have been claiming that the N-series were mobile computers for years now. And now they're going back and saying "Oh, actually, they were just smartphones, we lied".

All smartphones are mobile computers, I don't see the need for the separation.

Old 25-06-2010, 02:43 AM

Arthur is on a distinguished road
Here comes Rafe... the omni present Symbian apologist ;-)

Sorry mate, Meego is the only hope Nokia has. The good thing is the people in charge in Finland seem to realize this.

Old 25-06-2010, 06:47 AM
Unregistered

N8

Out of all the reviews so far on the N8 I have read of no one reviewing running any third party apps. Will there be any or do we hang and wait like we do for S60V5. Still waiting for proper internet radio app for that. My guess the OVI store will be bare for the N8 like it is for the N900 and this will be what turn the remaing half of N97 owners to Apple and Android. (half are pissed already and half the 5800 owners too)

Old 25-06-2010, 06:48 AM

traecer is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the article

Thanks for the insightful article Rafe. I remember Nokia's announcement last year about transitioning the Nseries to Maemo, and knew the N8 would probably be the last Symbian Nseries device. Until I read your article, however, I didn't truly understand that Nokia is really changing the concept of the Nseries altogether. Ever since Nokia made the N8x0 devices, I had wondered why they had bothered changing the name; despite Maemo's potential, the Symbian Nseries devices were (and are) so much more capable. Even today, even though I have an N800, I use my N95 to do everything mobile, because it can do everything mobile I need it to do. Even the N900 still can't do that yet. But Nokia had positioned the Nseries as the do-all uber-phones...so why have these half-functional non-phones in the same line-up?

I get it now. Going forward, the Nseries devices are Internet access devices first, phones second. Nseries devices like the N900 and it's successors will use MeeGo to compete with iOS and Android devices. That doesn't just mean iPhones and Android phones, but iPads and Android-powered tablets too. Eseries and Xseries will be smartphones for people who want a phone first, that does the other stuff second. The Nseries will fight at a higher (price and performance) level in the market than it has in the past, and it can do this because the E- and X-phones are there to take the middle ground that used to be served by the cheaper N-devices.

I'm still not sure where the Cseries is supposed to fit; I know it's for the low-end, I-just-want-a-phone-that-I-can-put-annoying-ringtones-on crowd, but I don't see why that market needs a touchscreen+QWERTY keyboard slider like the C6.

Old 25-06-2010, 06:49 AM

Mr Mark is on a distinguished road
Here comes Arthur with nothing to say that adds any value.

No change there then.

Good article, Rafe. Nokia face some tough challenges ahead and their strategy to do it is interesting.
Ads

Old 25-06-2010, 07:15 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
Oh come on, this is absurd. Are you really trying to claim that MeeGo is any more advanced than iOS or Android? Symbian is over, MeeGo represents some hope for Nokia, but they are still years behind the big new competitors in the smartphone market.
Thats quite an apt guest name, you definitely need one ....

MeeGo is definitely more advanced than iOS and Android. Even the old N770 running the various HE versions of Maemo was more advanced. I doubt we'll see Nokia supporting MeeGo in quite the same ludicrously hacker friendly manner that they did Maemo though (although that was originally a skunkworks project).

In what way are Symbian and MeeGo years behind iOS or Android? Sure, you can mention the UI on S60/5th being relatively archaic, but the way people talk its as if its actually difficult to use. If you can't understand the overall operation of a 5800 or N97, then you quite possibly have "breath" tattooed on your eyelids as a reminder.

Old 25-06-2010, 07:16 AM
Unregistered

I notice the negative minds always turn up in force to express their futile denials everytime Nokia make a positive move such as this.

Personally, I am pleased to see that Nokia will be using Symbian as the OS for the normal smartphones. I am not interested in blowing a fortune on a phone and I am not interested in geeking around with it. Going by the working from Nokia, Meego is not for me, there will be Symbian phones that are more advanced than the N8 is now, but without the nurdy stigma. Good news. And I believe I am in the vast vast majority.

Clever by Nokia, good news for Symbian. There are FAR more Android 1.6 phones being sold than there are 2.1, because people just want a phone not a number. Only a few want the bleeding edge, and this is where the negative people can't see beyond their own little worlds.

100 million Symbian in 2010? I suggest far more.