All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 12-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Full screen QWERTY hybrids: Nokia E90 vs N97 mini vs Touch Pro 2 vs Milestone

In another of my periodic hardware head-to-heads, I pitch a variety of full-screen, full-qwerty hybrid smartphones against each other, ranging from the 3 year old Nokia E90, still supported but hard to find for sale now, through to the N97 mini, the HTC Touch Pro 2 and the spanking new Motorola Milestone. Which devices punch the heaviest when the rubber really hits the road?

Read on in the full article.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:34 PM

davidgilson is on a distinguished road
Good round-up, Steve.

Like you pointed out at the beginning there can be concerns about the mechanical complexity. This accounts for me, I'm a veteran of broken hinges on Psion handhelds, so I've been nervous of these ever since. I've also need mercilessly damaged N97's in shops, which makes me wonder how sturdy that mechanism is.

It's a shame price couldn't be included here, but it's an ever moving target. Especially in the cae of the E90, which is now sadly of a collectors' item.

Old 12-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Unregistered

regrets!

....so regretting to have sold my e90!! though two e72s compensate!

Old 12-01-2010, 01:09 PM

ashu is on a distinguished road
I wish

I wish I had played with E90 once. Wish I had owned it once. My resources did not allow me to own two devices at once so during the heights of E90, I was toying with N82. That too was pretty hard to part with.
Am trying to compensate that with my Nokia E72 now. pretty happy with messaging as well as cam quality!!

Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 PM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
I haven't used the Touch Pro 2, but out of the remaining three my current favorite is the Motorola Milestone, the E90 even with it's gorgeous screen and wonderful keyboard is obsolete and too slow to be useful anymore unfortunately, though it is still my backup device.
The Nokia N97 is, in theory at least, a great device but it was just too slow sometimes and the UI was a tad schizophrenic, and I have no reason to think the mini is any different.
I've got rather large hands so one-handed use is easy for me with any of these three, even the Milestone.
None of these phones will ever be imaging champs though I find it hard to believe the E90 takes better pictures than the others, without taking resolution into account of course. Anyone of them is better to have along than not having any camera, though .
Anyway, a good round-up, Steve.

P.S. I would have said that the N900 was my current favorite but it's too much of a work in progress to be my main device, maybe Maemo 6 will change that?

Last edited by adi_pie; 12-01-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Old 12-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Unregistered

So: give us E90 with S60v5 and touch-screen!!! It will be winning device, no doubts.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:43 PM

avensus is on a distinguished road
I love my E90. It's no longer my daily phone, but like Steve I change my phones often, and occasionally I whip out the E90 and use it for a week. Having used the previous incarnations, the E90 excelled in finally having the outer screen as full S60 and predictive text operative - great for one handed use for texting on the move.

The downside is that with the current trend for sleekness and slim design I wonder if we will ever see anything along the lines of an E90. Not an N series lookalike but a dedicated business device with full keyboard from Nokia. Although a lot of people called it a brick, it wasn't a phone designed for going out in the evening with, but more a companion for the desk and briefcase.

Unfortunately such a device is so market specific, that like the Sony Ericsson P900/910/990 range, it only appealed to certain users or the hardcore phone geeks. As a result a lack of decent software helped in its own demise, a vicious circle, as without enough sales, Nokia were never going to keep a full development team working on it.

I say bring back an E100, same design, better hardware (graphics chip), better camera and as said above a touch screen and a whole range of decent games and software to make use of the internal screen and I'd still buy it.

Last edited by avensus; 12-01-2010 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Clarity, spelling.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Administrator

" better hardware (graphics chip)"

As noted in my piece, the E90 has a full graphics co-processor. It's just that almost no software used it 8-(

In fact, it's fairly impressive how the N97 mini (et al) do so as much as they *do* without any graphics help whatsoever.....

Old 12-01-2010, 03:26 PM
bvisick

Rats

Thanks for the comparison - but disappointing that E90 comes out on top still. It's my current phone and I'm happy with it instead of a laptop, but I *want* a new phone and there's nothing clearly better. Ah well.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvisick View Post
Thanks for the comparison - but disappointing that E90 comes out on top still. It's my current phone and I'm happy with it instead of a laptop, but I *want* a new phone and there's nothing clearly better. Ah well.
Heh, well, keep an eye out for the Google Nexus Two...!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
no N900?

I would have liked to have seen the N900 on this list. It's been the most successful device so far at taking over my digital life. I really don't know what people mean when they say it's a 'work in progress' - I find it pretty much perfectly functional.
Ads

Old 12-01-2010, 03:31 PM

avensus is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
" better hardware (graphics chip)"

As noted in my piece, the E90 has a full graphics co-processor. It's just that almost no software used it
Indeed you did, Steve, apologies I missed that, in fact I think I missed it first time round due to the lack of software to really show it off. Can't even remember the games I did have for it originally now. Was there a version of Bounce? Or was that my 9500? And perhaps a golf game.... hmmmm.

The one bonus of keeping my E90 is using its battery as a spare for my N97!

Old 12-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Nuges

E90

Amazing how long the E90 has been rock solid in terms of usability (still canít be trumped!). I would still buy the phone again even without a touch screen but with new firmware and a faster processor.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:24 PM

adi_pie is on a distinguished road
@davidmaxwaterma
I said the N900 was a work in progress because some apps (calendar for one) and features (portrait mode) are clearly not finished, I didn't mean anything bad by it, the N900 is a wonderful multimedia device, and mind you Android is also somewhat of a work in progress.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Unregistered

Lets hear it for the E90!

If only Nokia would read, learn and take note of the fine review and subsequent comments.
An E90 (E90i or E100) with a faster processor and a touch screen would be a winner in it's niche market (and why not bring back 'Data' from the Psion / 9500 while thery are at it!)
A three year old phone (an eternity in technology) that can still compete AND beat it's modern day rivals in so many areas must be worth developing to the next stage!
Ah well, at least I can dream!