All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 12-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
How to: Get Connected with a Bluetooth Keyboard

In which I explain, for beginners, how to get hooked up to a Bluetooth wireless keyboard and dramatically increase the speed of text entry on your phone... It's a very quick and simple solution, once you've gone through the initial two minute setup process...

Read on in the full article.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM

fernando20 is on a distinguished road
I have to press two modifier keys to type a ! on my SU-8W. Nokia should release a SU-8W successor that fixes that.

(Sorry for already spinning the comment section into a negative slant, but hey, Nokia reads AAS' comments :P)

Old 12-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Unregistered

Even with the correct Nokia Wireless Keyboard application installed for N82, I can't reproduce the correct sequence of green marked characters in top line of SU-8W keyboard in English. I have to say that I get better results using the now discontinued iGo Stowaway utilizing N73 driver which is the nearest compatible one available for later "N" Series devices.

Old 12-12-2008, 05:51 PM

jeffgrado is on a distinguished road
This keyboard will also work with the N810.

One thing that would make this setup much more powerful? A mouse!

Old 12-12-2008, 06:17 PM

snoyt is on a distinguished road
I went for the thinkoutside bluetooth keyboard. They have a 5 row keyboard. So you have direct acces to the special characters like ^$%^#$@#^%.

They also have a very good dedicated S60 3rd edition driver for the Nokia's. Compleet with configuren special buttons for phone actions like e-mail, webbrowser etc... The most significant advantage that it works on your knees folded open. A flat surface is not required. The SU-w8 folds inward.

Old 12-12-2008, 06:26 PM

djbriandowling is on a distinguished road
my set up

I have my su-8w for about a year now. 6 months ago i bouth a sunviser screen. between me and a friend we wired in the nokia tv cable into the screen and into aux in the car stereo for sound. So then we plugged in my nokia n95 in to the wired tv cable, flipped down the screen to show the phone screen and then here comes the fun bit, wip out the nokia su-8w bluetooth keyboard and now i have an in built personal computer!! I have to say i used it most days. I park up and read my emails, txt friends, watch or edit video clips, check calender entries, do my finances and of course go online and check out the latest news on allaboutsymbian.com

i have to say i just love my nokia bluetooth keyboard.

"Nokia N95, It's what computers have become"

Bluetooth keyboard, sunviser screen and nokia n95. Just one more thing the iphone cant do!!

Old 12-12-2008, 10:45 PM

wampyre is on a distinguished road
I just bought mine a couple of months ago and found it working very well on my Nokia phones.

Indeed the keyboard is a bit smaller, but not that painstalking small as on the first ASUS EEE Netbooks.

A bit troublesome when typing special characters, but besides that really useful.
Only one (two) small problems, it took me a while to figure out that the "backspace" key functions as the "remove application" key.
Most intuitive would have been the delete key.
The other minor thing is that you have to have a flat surface, so I can't use it while trying to type on my lap.

Overall I'm a really happy user of the Nokia SU-8W keyboard using it on my N82 and N95.

As I see they've haven't announced any plans on releasing a new keyboard yet. I'll still have mine for some time.

Thought it would be better to have a row of keys extra for the special characters, but then again leading to bigger size and less portability.

Old 13-12-2008, 06:05 AM
Unregistered

Apple wireless keyboard also works fine

I have the Nokia keyboard also, and I'm really happy with it. I'm also using an Apple wireless keyboard with my N95 at work. It works fabulously too. The extra "Apple" keys on both sides of the space bar act as the left and right button, and alt+tab works as the application button. Enter or in some cases shift+enter functions as the center button. Comes highly recommended too. Obviously, it's not a portable solution like the Nokia keyboard.
Ads

Old 14-12-2008, 06:41 PM
Unregistered

I bought the Nokia SU-8W and it worked very nicely. But I didn't need to do any typing on my phone so I flogged it on Ebay. Nice toy though, for five minutes.

Old 15-12-2008, 07:29 AM

Micky! is on a distinguished road
I have the Freedom Universal Bluetooth Keyboard from Proporta, which connects fine to all my Nokia S60 handsets, without the need of the supplied driver, however, considering its price tag of almost 70, its a little steep compared to the iGo, which has better constuction, but sadly discontinued.

Old 16-12-2008, 02:41 PM
pantomax

Logitech DiNovo Mini

Hi there, I'm using the Logitech DiNovo Mini on my E65 and it works fine, the only problem I have is that I can't find any key for the right function key, but everything else works even the ctrl+alt+del.
Bye, Max

Old 16-12-2008, 08:49 PM

dhevans_6 is on a distinguished road
I'm a happy user of my Stowaway on my old N80. I do get some comments about being a complete geek but hey, I can hammer out emails on it as quick as on the laptop given the keys are the same size.
I've got small hands (usually XS female glove size!) but I still can't type as fast on my husbands Acer one netbook. For me - the full sized keys really make a difference.

Old 29-12-2008, 02:30 PM

dougalzene is on a distinguished road
The Nokia Wireless keyboard looks like a good compromise but I was wondering - is it feasible to connect a regular full-size bluetooth keyboard to a S60 device? Just drivers? Anyone tried this?

Let me explain. I'm not looking to carry peripherals however I would greatly benefit from just carrying my N82, and then having a display and a regular keyboard to connect to at my destination.

** update: I missed an earlier comment about using apple wireless keyboard with an N95- so it appears to be possible, which means it's worth me hunting one down!

Last edited by dougalzene; 29-12-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

Pairing E90 and SU-8W

Hi, just thought I'd share my special pain.

If you use the "Wireless Keyboard" app to pair an E90 with the SU-8W, it just does not work. After entering the passcode on the E90, the "Fn" light on the keyboard does go on, but after entering the same code on the keyboard you always get "Cannot connect to SU-8W".

The solution? Use the regular E90 bluetooth program to pair with the keyboard. After that, you can use the wireless keyboard app to pair and everything works swimmingly.

Old 24-03-2010, 02:38 AM
enrick Santos

after entering the passcode on the E90 Cannot connect to SU-8W or unpair.

can you please help me how it work, because it just does not work when after entering the passcode on the E90 the "Fn" light on the keyboard does go on but after that i always get "Cannot connect to SU-8W or unpair.

can you please help me, i hope you response helping me in my problem. thanks..