All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 AM

Ratkat is on a distinguished road
Looks great....

I just wish Nokia would hold off on their launches until the devices are ready, six months (which usually turns in to nine months) before it is available, is just too long.

When Apple announce a new product, it is always available either immediately or with a couple of weeks.

Still at launch it will probably go up against the 3rd Gen iPhone, so it will be an interesting battle. One at the moment the N97 wins for me hands down, although I can't help thinking I might have preferred a smaller N810 with a phone functionally.

Cost Effective Web Design Nximedia

Old 02-12-2008, 10:08 AM

rbrunner is on a distinguished road
What is the mess, exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Very good hardware but the touch layer is just piggy-backed on an 8 years old obsolete OS/UI, it's a mess.
I have read that "mess" argument quite a few times already in connection with Nokia's 5th edition touch-enabled smartphones, but so far not one poster cared to elaborate: What it the mess, exactly?

It should be no problem at all to give some details: Just pick something from the mess, then. Please explain where touch and S60, as currently implemented by Nokia, do not fit? If you dare, you can even throw in some ideas how to improve things, as an added bonus. "Redesign everything from scratch" is not a very innovative approach here, though.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:20 AM

Enfors is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitchfield View Post
I'm torn on the N97. On the one hand, Nokia has brought a lot of bits together in one device. On the other hand, the three year old N93 beats it on video capture...
From the article:

The camera is also used to record videos at VGA at 30 frames per seconds

That's exactly what the N93 does. So how does my old N93 beat the N97 on video capture? Are you referring to the lack of N93's optical zoom?

Quote:
What I'm looking forward to, though, is an N93/N82 replacement..... 8-)
Being an N93 owner, this interests me. What is it that you feel the N97 lacks, as an "N93 upgrade"? Better video capture?

Old 02-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Unregistered

N96 powerplant

what's its CPU capabilities?
I will keep my bonus for this one :-)

Old 02-12-2008, 10:40 AM
Unregistered

N97 ... great phone but ...

And I thought the iphone was way too big!

An exciting phone, but way too big for everyday use, for most of us. I still have an N95-1 and I'd say that's a little on the large size. The 5800 looks more tempting in that light, apart from the plastic quality and the 3.2 MPx camera and LED flash.

What about an N85 refresh with a Xenon flash and better case plz Nokia? That would be about as good as it gets for ordinary use.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Unregistered

Smile size

Nokia N97 117.2 x 55.3 x 15.9 mm

Sony Xperia 110.5 x 52.6 x 17 mm

Its not big...

Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Unregistered

Cool Good But Not there yet...

I have N82. I absolutely love it.

I would prefer to have N82 with Big & High Resolution screen.

Instead of a permanently attached keyboard, Would like to see a detachable wireless bluetooth keyboard.

So If i wish, i can carry phone with keyboard or phone without keyboard.

in short, I need some thing like N97 without the permanently attached keyboard and with XENON FLASH.

Yes I love bar format Phones. That's the reason I waited for N82. I am not that excited with N97 Yet.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:11 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
"That's exactly what the N93 does. So how does my old N93 beat the N97 on video capture? Are you referring to the lack of N93's optical zoom?"
Well, optical zoom, yes, but also the fact that video on the N93 is much clearer than on the newer devices: N79, N85, N96 and presumably N97 all suck when it comes to video. It may be VGA but it's not fit for purpose yet, in my opinion. I wish Nokia would come clean about video capture and what's going on. The current situation is insane.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Unregistered

love it, but why N series?

I love this phone.

Unfortunately, it's fall into N-series category.
I hate N-series, I love E-series.

My wives N81 can't kill (turn off) the 'always on' music apps.
I hate the felling that the music apps always on.

I really wish this were nokia E91

Old 02-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I love this phone.

Unfortunately, it's fall into N-series category.
I hate N-series, I love E-series.

My wives N81 can't kill (turn off) the 'always on' music apps.
I hate the felling that the music apps always on.

I really wish this were nokia E91
There may well be one in the making, although I suspect they will knobble the camera as they usually do for the E series.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:30 AM

sbarts is on a distinguished road
Well I've finally got the answer to my N series touch screen question. It looks a very impressive phone but i'm still wondering whether to go for the 5800 when my contract is up in April or hang on for a bit and go for the N97. The physical size is slightly off putting but other than that it looks great. Is there a definate release date yet?

Old 02-12-2008, 11:39 AM

neilhoskins is on a distinguished road
It's unclear whether Andrew Orlowski in The Register is a jihadi apple-ist or is just a sad, old-fashioned troll of the worst kind, but his brief preview item appears to be saying that the N97 relies on WRT widgets to do anything. I recommend browsing to his item just in order to award it an "utterly terrible" rating.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilhoskins View Post
It's unclear whether Andrew Orlowski in The Register is a jihadi apple-ist or is just a sad, old-fashioned troll of the worst kind, but his brief preview item appears to be saying that the N97 relies on WRT widgets to do anything. I recommend browsing to his item just in order to award it an "utterly terrible" rating.

He is, I have said it before (and got flamed), but his closing statement says it all:

Quote:
Nokia said it had sold 15m N95 handsets in two years; Apple sold 6.9m iPhones in the last quarter alone.
With a link to the apple sales, but no link to the nokia ones. Presumably because it will list all the other handsets they sell.

Although he does have a point with the screen having far too much information on. However, I assume you can turn this off, just like active standby, as I do on my E66 (and ones before it).

For the guy to make such sweeping comments when he hasn't even seen the phone in the flesh, says volumes. I stopped reading his stuff ages ago, since he has a hugely biased opinion.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Unregistered

Will it run Sheet & Word?

The real test will be the software. I'm still waiting for a machine with the useability of a ten -year old PDA! Nice looker though!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:02 PM

Jago is on a distinguished road
Talking Stop MOANING!

Come on guys

We all know there's no one device to rule them all! If this doesn't meet your exact requirments be patient - I'm sure there'll be other 5th edition touch devices along shortly that are smaller/with better camera/keyboard/tv tuner/coffee maker along soon!

In the meantime this thing is great.

Admittedly as an E90 user it's probably more down my street than most but I can also find faults where compromises have been made but at least this is a move in the right direction of including (nearly) everything in one device as opposed to Nokia's previous philosphy of always splitting their top features between 2 or 3 phones.

Don't forget it won't be availlable for for 6months anyway - plenty of time for things to develop and other phones to appear - lets see what the E series response will be!

Cheers
Jago