All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 03-12-2007, 06:56 PM

GazP is on a distinguished road
N95 Volume button fault... HELP!

Yesterday the UP volume button stopped working on the phone, when you press it you cant feel a click, like you can on the Down button. It kind of just goes inside the phone, alot further than it should.

I think the microswitch mounted on the PCB behind the button has worked its way loose, which is suprising because I dont excessively use the volume buttons to the point where one should break! Maybe it was a poor solder job and it came loose, or the switch itself has broken.

Bought my phone from Orange through Phones4U, just spoke to orange and they said they cant deal with it, must take it to phones4u under warranty.

Problem is, I've debranded and upgraded firmware, doesnt this void the warranty?

If so, should I fix it myself? or take out insurance and claim in a month.... Or just take it to phones4u and hope they dont check?

Old 03-12-2007, 07:01 PM

moyhim is on a distinguished road
Take it to Phones 4 u and ask them to repair it which they will prob send to nokia.
Phones4u will prob check the phone for tampering if they find out you have .. say you dunno what there talking about..

Thats the worst that could really happen... or maybe FRAUD!!! i have no idea im sure someone will top up on the subject.

If they dont see any tampering theyll send it to repair center to repair and the repair centre wont check and simply repair it under phones4u as oppsed to "under warranty" if that makes any sense

Old 03-12-2007, 10:00 PM

PhreakTastic is on a distinguished road
In exactly same situation, my up button has "snapped" too, and I have changed product code to get v20, gonna take to carphone warehouse anyway

Old 04-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

Nigma is on a distinguished road
Happened to mine. I ended up re soldering it myself. Wasn't too difficult of a task.
Wouldn't worry too much about them figuring out if you have tampered with it. Doubt they would even look for a simple switch repair job repair job.

Just as a precaution, I always tend to immediately change the product code back to the handset default, so if the repairer was to connect to the system and attempt a firmware update, it would at worse revert back to the branded firmware.

Like moyhim says.. plead ignorance... "Dunno what you are talking about"... "Thats how you got it"....etc....

Old 04-12-2007, 01:47 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazP View Post
Yesterday the UP volume button stopped working on the phone, when you press it you cant feel a click, like you can on the Down button. It kind of just goes inside the phone, alot further than it should.

I think the microswitch mounted on the PCB behind the button has worked its way loose, which is suprising because I dont excessively use the volume buttons to the point where one should break! Maybe it was a poor solder job and it came loose, or the switch itself has broken.

Bought my phone from Orange through Phones4U, just spoke to orange and they said they cant deal with it, must take it to phones4u under warranty.

Problem is, I've debranded and upgraded firmware, doesnt this void the warranty?

If so, should I fix it myself? or take out insurance and claim in a month.... Or just take it to phones4u and hope they dont check?

This happened to me so I just removed the back cover and the switch fell off in my hand. I managed to solder it back on, without removing anything else but it it is solidly on.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:54 PM

Yep, just took back cover off at work and the microswitch fell right out..

It had four contacts, but i only had to resolder the front left and right contacts for it to work. (Couldnt reach back two contacts)

It seems perfect and is fixed in place well.

Seems like a common problem nokia... SORT IT OUT!!

Old 04-12-2007, 02:45 PM

yade is on a distinguished road
With a very fine tip i managed to solde 3 of the 4 legs but as you say it only seems to be the front 2 that are needed, happy days

Old 04-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Banned

You do only need two contacts, but four are provided to give the mounting a bit of strength. With only two, its very likely that it will fall off again.
Ads

Old 05-12-2007, 12:11 AM

if it falls off again will simply re solder front two..

dont want to risk the third as i dont want to leave any marks... phone still under warranty.. (I Hope!)

Old 05-12-2007, 10:03 AM
Banned

I'm not sayings it likely to happen.... but the actual solder pads on the board itself can be pulled off the board. I do a fair amount of soldering in my line of work, and it has happened to me on a fair few occasions.

I guess though, in that event you could just send the device back

Old 05-12-2007, 10:33 AM

3Shirts is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GazP View Post
if it falls off again will simply re solder front two..

dont want to risk the third as i dont want to leave any marks... phone still under warranty.. (I Hope!)
If it's under warranty why not just take it to a service center and get them to fix it?

Old 05-12-2007, 01:55 PM

because travelling to a service center is effort for me, plus they said I would have to leave it for 24hours and come pick it up again...

or i just goto other desk at work, and spend under 2 mins fixing it.

Old 22-02-2011, 12:16 AM

rebroad is on a distinguished road
soldering volume buttons back on

could someone please advise on what sort of soldering iron and other hardware I might need to do this please?