All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #46  
Old 13-04-2011, 11:48 PM
bazao's Avatar
bazao bazao is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 27
bazao is on a distinguished road
I don't know if all of you can understand italian (I can't), but I was checking a blog and it posted this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...e5sLI2Gs#at=38

I was told that Ms. Tiziana Pollio, Nokia Italia's Director of Communication, said Symbian Anna will be available in a few weeks. Yes, it doesn't depend on the official launch of E6/X7.

Let's wait. And be optimistics... oh well... Mr. Elop, I will kill you! hahaha

  #47  
Old 14-04-2011, 09:11 AM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Thanks buxz777, as you say, "everyone to their own" but therein lies the whole problem... customers worlwide, in their millions, have decided not to make Nokia smartphones their own, for whatever reason, and that is why Nokia finds themselves in their present position.

As for that reason, Nokia's Chief Executive Officer, Stephen Elop, probably in the best position to make a judgement, sums it up best in his "Burning Platform" memo of the 8th February this year, when he states...

"The first iPhone shipped in 2007, and we still don't have a product that is close to their experience. Android came on the scene just over 2 years ago, and this week they took our leadership position in smartphone volumes. Unbelievable."

"Consumer preference for Nokia declined worldwide. In the UK, our brand preference has slipped to 20 percent, which is 8 percent lower than last year. That means only 1 out of 5 people in the UK prefer Nokia to other brands. It's also down in the other markets, which are traditionally our strongholds: Russia, Germany, Indonesia, UAE, and on and on and on."

One statement you make in your posting is unclear to me..

"give me the n8 over any phone out there for the convergence it offers , nothing comes close to the n8s convergence"

I read a lot about "convergence" but admit that I do not understand its definition in this context, or why Android and iOS are not convergence devices?
__________________
N8 Release PR1.2 Software version 014.002 date 2011-03-01 Product code 0598980 Manufactured Finland

  #48  
Old 14-04-2011, 09:27 AM
torrentblock torrentblock is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 98
torrentblock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Thanks buxz777, as you say, "everyone to their own" but therein lies the whole problem... customers worlwide, in their millions, have decided not to make Nokia smartphones their own, for whatever reason, and that is why Nokia finds themselves in their present position.

As for that reason, Nokia's Chief Executive Officer, Stephen Elop, probably in the best position to make a judgement, sums it up best in his "Burning Platform" memo of the 8th February this year, when he states...

"The first iPhone shipped in 2007, and we still don't have a product that is close to their experience. Android came on the scene just over 2 years ago, and this week they took our leadership position in smartphone volumes. Unbelievable."

"Consumer preference for Nokia declined worldwide. In the UK, our brand preference has slipped to 20 percent, which is 8 percent lower than last year. That means only 1 out of 5 people in the UK prefer Nokia to other brands. It's also down in the other markets, which are traditionally our strongholds: Russia, Germany, Indonesia, UAE, and on and on and on."

One statement you make in your posting is unclear to me..

"give me the n8 over any phone out there for the convergence it offers , nothing comes close to the n8s convergence"

I read a lot about "convergence" but admit that I do not understand its definition in this context, or why Android and iOS are not convergence devices?
i'd say that Elop is concerned with sales.

i'd say that buxz777 is concerned with finding the right phone for him.

  #49  
Old 14-04-2011, 09:35 AM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentblock View Post
i'd say that Elop is concerned with sales.

i'd say that buxz777 is concerned with finding the right phone for him.


Shouldn't the two be mutually compatible?

No sales = no company = no phone.

Not rocket science... as Nokia are discovering.
__________________
N8 Release PR1.2 Software version 014.002 date 2011-03-01 Product code 0598980 Manufactured Finland

  #50  
Old 14-04-2011, 09:47 AM
torrentblock torrentblock is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 98
torrentblock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post


Shouldn't the two be mutually compatible?

No sales = no company = no phone.

Not rocket science... as Nokia are discovering.
i don't particularly care how many records Britney Spears sells, i'd rather listen to techno.

  #51  
Old 14-04-2011, 10:07 AM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentblock View Post
i don't particularly care how many records Britney Spears sells, i'd rather listen to techno.
OK... I'll do this slowly...

Using your analogy...

Let us say that the only company that soley produced techno records suddenly found that their sales had plummeted, because hardly anyone was buying techno anymore, they would be forced to close down and there would be no more techno records produced in future.

Ergo... No sales = no company = no more techno records for you to buy.
__________________
N8 Release PR1.2 Software version 014.002 date 2011-03-01 Product code 0598980 Manufactured Finland

  #52  
Old 14-04-2011, 10:12 AM
torrentblock torrentblock is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 98
torrentblock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
OK... I'll do this slowly...

Using your analogy...

Let us say that the only company that soley produced techno records suddenly found that their sales had plummeted, because hardly anyone was buying techno anymore, they would be forced to close down and there would be no more techno records produced in future.

Ergo... No sales = no company = no more techno records for you to buy.
and seeing as you find the pace difficult to keep up with i'll slow down for you too.

just because techno records aren't being produced doesn't mean i'm going to start liking britney spears, no matter how much other people bang the drum about how much better she is than techno.

you're wasting your time. this forum is all about symbian. you might as well go onto a techno forum and tell them how much better britney spears is.

you're trying to knock clouds out of the sky using your shoes and you look ridiculous. troll like.
Ads

  #53  
Old 14-04-2011, 10:25 AM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by torrentblock View Post
and seeing as you find the pace difficult to keep up with i'll slow down for you too.

just because techno records aren't being produced doesn't mean i'm going to start liking britney spears, no matter how much other people bang the drum about how much better she is than techno.

you're wasting your time. this forum is all about symbian. you might as well go onto a techno forum and tell them how much better britney spears is.

you're trying to knock clouds out of the sky using your shoes and you look ridiculous. troll like.
At no point have I said that you should "start liking britney spears".

I, to use the analogy, pointed out the simple economic fact, that without sales there would be no more new techno records for you to buy.

As you seem to have fallen back to name calling to make your point it seems that I must withdraw from this battle of wits as I never pick on an unarmed man.
__________________
N8 Release PR1.2 Software version 014.002 date 2011-03-01 Product code 0598980 Manufactured Finland

  #54  
Old 14-04-2011, 12:22 PM
evilweasel's Avatar
evilweasel evilweasel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 149
evilweasel is on a distinguished road
......I'm confused I now have a picture in my head of Elop jumping off a burning oil rig whilst listening to a techno remix of Britney Spears on an iPhone
__________________
.........life is like a salad bar, you only get one visit....take your bowl and come with me, I'll be your guiding spirit

  #55  
Old 14-04-2011, 06:03 PM
snoFlake snoFlake is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 225
snoFlake is on a distinguished road
@torrentblock hahahahaha you have no idea how ridiculous you make yourself accusing ironass of being like a troll: I spent much of late 2009 and 2010 vigorously debating (arguing maybe if you will) whilst I was berating Nokia and their ability to deliver Symbian competently with the N97 with ironass supporting Nokia and saying that it wasn't necessarily worse than other OS's and they were getting there. I still maintain they weren't and that other OS's were accelerating away faster and that the N97 was a disgrace at launch and remains so on v2.2 firmware whilst many non-flagship devices were supported way past it. The fact that anyone in Nokia could sign off on and release such a device served as stark evidence of the almighty problems they were in as their subsequent performance has borne out.

It's starting to show how detached from history and the reality of the situation Nokia is in (thanks to their own ineptitude) they are that the fanbois are now rounding on many long term members of AAS who express disappointment with the recent path Nokia has taken or dare to criticise them or their devices or the sainted symbian. If things were great Nokia's market share would be stable and their overall device sales would have gone up last year as opposed to the reverse. No company can carry on in the nose dive Nokia has been in for the last few years.

  #56  
Old 14-04-2011, 08:53 PM
bazao's Avatar
bazao bazao is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 27
bazao is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilweasel View Post
......I'm confused I now have a picture in my head of Elop jumping off a burning oil rig whilst listening to a techno remix of Britney Spears on an iPhone
hahahahaah nice trolling!

  #57  
Old 15-04-2011, 02:22 PM
bchliu bchliu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Sydney
Posts: 515
bchliu is on a distinguished road
Wow.. I dont respond for a few days and we've gone techno Britney jumping off blazing oil rigs?

Doesnt matter what - Elop is still a M$ Biatch that will continue to suck up to M$ regardless - very blatant in his comments.

However, have you guys noticed that the directional statements Elop makes is kinda different from what his CTO (cant remember his name) says? Elop's delivery was very much "Symbian is an exiting technology, and will be contained". Whereas the truth is, they have actually sped up development of Symbian updates and products since then (also according to CTO)?

But then again, they really have no choice given Elop was the one that burnt the rig in the first place and havent got anywhere to jump to since Windows phone 7 ship is miles away..

  #58  
Old 15-04-2011, 02:32 PM
bazao's Avatar
bazao bazao is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Brazil
Posts: 27
bazao is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchliu View Post
Whereas the truth is, they have actually sped up development of Symbian updates and products since then (also according to CTO)?

.
I think Nokia decided to sped up things because the reaction of customers were SOOOOOOO negative.

  #59  
Old 16-04-2011, 06:51 PM
ironass's Avatar
ironass ironass is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cotswolds, U.K.
Posts: 1,508
ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
@torrentblock hahahahaha you have no idea how ridiculous you make yourself accusing ironass of being like a troll: I spent much of late 2009 and 2010 vigorously debating (arguing maybe if you will) whilst I was berating Nokia and their ability to deliver Symbian competently with the N97 with ironass supporting Nokia and saying that it wasn't necessarily worse than other OS's and they were getting there. I still maintain they weren't and that other OS's were accelerating away faster and that the N97 was a disgrace at launch and remains so on v2.2 firmware whilst many non-flagship devices were supported way past it. The fact that anyone in Nokia could sign off on and release such a device served as stark evidence of the almighty problems they were in as their subsequent performance has borne out.

It's starting to show how detached from history and the reality of the situation Nokia is in (thanks to their own ineptitude) they are that the fanbois are now rounding on many long term members of AAS who express disappointment with the recent path Nokia has taken or dare to criticise them or their devices or the sainted symbian. If things were great Nokia's market share would be stable and their overall device sales would have gone up last year as opposed to the reverse. No company can carry on in the nose dive Nokia has been in for the last few years.
snoFlake, snoFlake, snoFlake!

I would never dream of arguing with a lady.

I prefer to think of them as educated, well informed debates enabling us to offer our own points of view.

Now look at us... what strange bedfellows we now make.

Time, I admit has proved you right and I would like to publicly acknowledge that fact on this forum.

In part, I dedicate this fairy story to you as I feel sure you may appreciate its full significance:-


http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...27&postcount=1

__________________
N8 Release PR1.2 Software version 014.002 date 2011-03-01 Product code 0598980 Manufactured Finland

Last edited by ironass; 16-04-2011 at 06:59 PM.

  #60  
Old 18-04-2011, 12:35 PM
torrentblock torrentblock is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 98
torrentblock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoFlake View Post
@torrentblock hahahahaha you have no idea how ridiculous you make yourself accusing ironass of being like a troll: I spent much of late 2009 and 2010 vigorously debating (arguing maybe if you will) whilst I was berating Nokia and their ability to deliver Symbian competently with the N97 with ironass supporting Nokia and saying that it wasn't necessarily worse than other OS's and they were getting there. I still maintain they weren't and that other OS's were accelerating away faster and that the N97 was a disgrace at launch and remains so on v2.2 firmware whilst many non-flagship devices were supported way past it. The fact that anyone in Nokia could sign off on and release such a device served as stark evidence of the almighty problems they were in as their subsequent performance has borne out.

It's starting to show how detached from history and the reality of the situation Nokia is in (thanks to their own ineptitude) they are that the fanbois are now rounding on many long term members of AAS who express disappointment with the recent path Nokia has taken or dare to criticise them or their devices or the sainted symbian. If things were great Nokia's market share would be stable and their overall device sales would have gone up last year as opposed to the reverse. No company can carry on in the nose dive Nokia has been in for the last few years.
shorter sentences please. i have no idea what your point is.
 

Bookmarks

Tags
12th, april, april 12th, symbian event

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Real life: Not your run of the mill, every day April Fools Story slitchfield Symbian OS News 11 18-04-2010 09:31 PM
N-Gage Sales Chart for 6th to 12th of April 2009 Tzer2 N-Gage Next Generation 0 22-04-2009 12:20 AM
Nokia 3250 starts shipping, Nokia N91 will ship in April Rafe Series 60 2 20-03-2006 11:57 AM
Found Your Own April Fool? Ewan Links of Interest 3 02-04-2004 10:43 AM
P800 Upgrade will be available in April! :D good news!! ultratech Sony Ericsson P800, P900 and P910 17 18-03-2003 08:52 AM



All times are GMT. The time now is 11:09 PM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy