All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 12-04-2011, 11:00 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazao View Post
And @ironass, the chinese source got really close! But I will not complain about him, because he might be those hackers which hacks the chinese firewalls! hahaha
I'll let you off bazao.

I've been a Nokia user for 12 years and a "smartphone" one for 6.

I really never expected anything less from them than what we have had today.

Today was not about us, the users, but about trying to put their position across to faltering investors and to buoy up the markets. Basically it's all window dressing... changing from numbered updates to names and then telling us that existing users won't be getting the full PR2.0 but "Anna", a cut down version.

This will hopefully string everyone, markets and users, along and buy Nokia more time for Windows Mobile7 release.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:06 AM

bazao is on a distinguished road
Yes, you are right. Maybe I'm just an optimistic customer.

And Nokia's stocks still sink.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
And Nokia's stocks still sink.
Tell me about it!!!

The two best phones I had from Nokia were the N95 and E90. Since then its been downhill all the way!

Two comments I had recently sum it all up...

My 21 yr old step daughter, when I offered her the N8...

"No thanks, Nokia is soooo uncool. It's for old people"

The other was from my mate Roger who knows that I was a Nokia fanboy...

"You still using one of them dinosaur phones?"

Even Nokia's own ad agency are hard pushed to sell the N8 as a smartphone and, here in the UK, instead show a blind man using it as a camera!

That seems to be the point that everyone latches on to, and I don't argue with it, it has a great camera... and speakers but if I read one more article that tries to salvage the N8 on the strength of that alone... I think I'll scream.

Last edited by ironass; 12-04-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
Tell me about it!!!

Even Nokia's own ad agency are hard pushed to sell the N8 as a smartphone, here in the UK, and instead show a blind man using it as a camera!
Yes, because its OS is awful. I mean, I love Palm's PDAs so for me it's normal to get lags, locks, bugs and that kind of stuff. Because altough that stuff, I'm able to have a whole control about the phone.
But if we compaire with iOS for example. I know iOS has A LOT of issues but it runs smooth and fast - so the customer thinks 'I already have a lot of troubles. Do I deserve one more with my smartphone?'

That's why I'm so angry about Nokia: clearly, it is a software problem and they don't seem worried about it. The partnership I undertand like a 'let's reborn' thing. 'But screw you, Symbian owners.'

Old 12-04-2011, 11:39 AM

HoneyMonster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tell me about it!!!

The two best phones I had from Nokia were the N95 and E90. Since then its been downhill all the way!

Two comments I had recently sum it all up...

My 21 yr old step daughter, when I offered her the N8...

"No thanks, Nokia is soooo uncool. It's for old people"

The other was from my mate Roger who knows that I was a Nokia fanboy...

"You still using one of them dinosaur phones?"

Even Nokia's own ad agency are hard pushed to sell the N8 as a smartphone and, here in the UK, instead show a blind man using it as a camera!

That seems to be the point that everyone latches on to, and I don't argue with it, it has a great camera... and speakers but if I read one more article that tries to salvage the N8 on the strength of that alone... I think I'll scream.
Nokia still hasn't gotten touch right. Most phones by Nokia, which haven't had touch have been good or great, but after touch interface, it's all been downhill.

Worst phone I've ever owned is N97. It's worse than my 2110 I used to have.

History: Cityman 190, 2110, 6110, 8110, 8110i, 8800, 9000, 9110, 9210, 9500, N70, E61, E90, N97, E7

Old 12-04-2011, 12:08 PM

Nine months ago I lost my N97 classic and tried to get another through insurance as I had invested so many man hours in trying to make it usable.

However, because Nokia had ceased manufacture of them within a year of release I was offered a range of mid to low end Nokia phones or the Google/HTC Nexus One, released in January 2010.

I thought, why not, and as it turns out it was the best decision I ever made.

Now running on Gingerbread 2.3.3 with a custom ROM and kernel, it beats the N8 into the ground in every respect except for Camera (which is a good 5mp), speakers and Ovi Maps although Google is catching up fast.

So much so, that when I was given the N8, just prior to release to test, I find myself using the Nexus One as my main phone and the N8 as a back-up... God forbid.

I can flash a whole new ROM in less than 5 min's and do so on a daily basis usually as I've become a "crack flasher" using custom built ROM's from Cyanogen Mod's which are released almost daily and are cutting edge and address any problems very quickly. No waiting 6 months for an update, I receive a notification on my handset automatically when they are available. I do these OTA with none of the fuss of having to back everything up and wiping and restoring every time.

Even the Market will, if I choose, automatically download updated versions of app's (76 of the 86 I've installed are free) although I choose to receive just the notifications of updates as I like to see what I'm getting. No more trawling through only to find that your symbian app is well out-of-date.

True, Android is open source and therefore can be open to abuse but after the recent scandal, when 54+ app's were found to be corrupt on the Google Market, they were withdrawn immediately by Google and automatically removed from handsets by them.

Having said that, it is so easy to wipe and restore on Android that a virus does not concern me as all my data is stored in the "cloud", so no matter where I am I can restore my handset even if it's stolen and I get a replacement.

My apologies for going on about Android but in all fairness I'm trying to illustrate what Nokia are up against and I could go on as these are only the tip of the iceberg.

(Sits back and waits to be harraunged )

Last edited by ironass; 12-04-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Nine months ago I lost my N97 classic and tried to get another through insurance as I had invested so many man hours in trying to make it usable.

However, because Nokia had ceased manufacture of them within a year of release I was offered a range of mid to low end Nokia phones or the Google/HTC Nexus One, released in January 2010.

I thought, why not, and as it turns out it was the best decision I ever made.

Now running on Gingerbread 2.3.3 with a custom ROM and kernel, it beats the N8 into the ground in every respect except for Camera (which is a good 5mp), speakers and Ovi Maps although Google is catching up fast.

So much so, that when I was given the N8, just prior to release to test, I find myself using the Nexus One as my main phone and the N8 as a back-up... God forbid.

I can flash a whole new ROM in less than 5 min's and do so on a daily basis usually as I've become a "crack flasher" using custom built ROM's from Cyanogen Mod's which are released almost daily and are cutting edge and address any problems very quickly. No waiting 6 months for an update, I receive a notification on my handset automatically when they are available. I do these OTA with none of the fuss of having to back everything up and wiping and restoring every time.

Even the Market will, if I choose, automatically download updated versions of app's (76 of the 86 I've installed are free) although I choose to receive just the notifications of updates as I like to see what I'm getting. No more trawling through only to find that your symbian app is well out-of-date.

True, Android is open source and therefore can be open to abuse but after the recent scandal, when 54+ app's were found to be corrupt on the Google Market, they were withdrawn immediately by Google and automatically removed from handsets by them.

Having said that, it is so easy to wipe and restore on Android that a virus does not concern me as all my data is stored in the "cloud", so no matter where I am I can restore my handset even if it's stolen and I get a replacement.

My apologies for going on about Android but in all fairness I'm trying to illustrate what Nokia are up against and I could go on as these are only the tip of the iceberg.

(Sits back and waits to be harraunged )
I totally understand you. I've had a Nokia since 1993 and never had any other phones. This week I ordered an iPhone for my personal use after I got disappointed by E7. E7 will remain as my business phone, but simply because the 3 home screen system doesn't work like it suppose, I decided to get a separate phone. I created a business home screen and personal home screen, but every time I press Home button after using an app etc, the phone reverts to the primary screen which is my business screen. I don't want to look at my business calendar or my business emails whilst off duty.

Sure, iPhone hardware is far from others, but the usability and the apps available just kill the competition, and it works perfectly with my personal laptop which is Mac.

E7's 'full focus' camera doesn't even read barcodes, because it can't do macro. Big QR codes work, but regular barcodes don't. That was the last draw.

History: Cityman 190, 2110, 6110, 8110, 8110i, 8800, 9000, 9110, 9210, 9500, N70, E61, E90, N97, E7

Old 12-04-2011, 03:48 PM

I notice that both Nokia and HTC made announcements today.

Nokia was promoting it's new phone the X7-00

HTC were promoting their new phone the Sensation.

Here they are, side by side:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=3875

Video for Nokia X7-00:-

http://blog.gsmarena.com/here-is-wha...l-about-video/

Video for HTC Sensation:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COi4S1yoyO4

Media reaction:-

"The new HTC Sensation phone reflects the mountain Nokia needs to climb to close the hardware and software gap with its rivals," said Ben Wood, research director at CCS Insight.

"On the day Nokia unveils the 600Mhz X7 'entertainment phone' it has been trumped by HTC's Sensation which has a dual-core 1.2Ghz processor".

Apple's iPhone was using 600 MHz processors two years ago."

"It's just a bit too late to put Humpty Dumpty back together," said Tero Kuittinen, analyst at MKM Partners of Nokia. "Developers are bailing out in droves."

Nokia's weakening position in the high end of the market is expected to drag its underlying first-quarter earnings per share 29 percent below last year's, a Reuters poll of 31 analysts showed on Tuesday.

Underlying operating profit at its key phone unit -- an important metric for the company -- is expected to drop to 8.6 percent from 12.1 percent a year earlier."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business...0,681762.story

Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM

What impresses me isn't the fact Nokia can't bring new people to the brand. What impresses me is how they don't care about old customers.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
What impresses me isn't the fact Nokia can't bring new people to the brand. What impresses me is how they don't care about old customers.
I agree but we seem to be at odds with Rafe on this...

"As with Nokia's first batch of Symbian^3 devices, the X7 is far less about gaining users from devices running on the competing platforms and far more about retaining existing Nokia users and gaining totally new customers."

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...rtphone_wi.php

Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM

JayTay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
"On the day Nokia unveils the 600Mhz X7 'entertainment phone' it has been trumped by HTC's Sensation which has a dual-core 1.2Ghz processor".

Apple's iPhone was using 600 MHz processors two years ago."
It's good to see that the processor wars have moved from the desktop to the mobile space. Does it really matter how fast the processor is if the phone operates as expected? Angry Birds runs as fast on my N8 as it does on my iPad. Do I care how fast the processor is in each one? No.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTay View Post
It's good to see that the processor wars have moved from the desktop to the mobile space. Does it really matter how fast the processor is if the phone operates as expected? Angry Birds runs as fast on my N8 as it does on my iPad. Do I care how fast the processor is in each one? No.
At least with E7, there are significant pauses where the phone just doesn't react to anything and because of the oversensitive touch screen you end up pressing buttons multiple times and suddenly you're in some weird settings screen etc.

E7 is just sluggish, as was N97.

Ads

Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyMonster View Post
At least with E7, there are significant pauses where the phone just doesn't react to anything and because of the oversensitive touch screen you end up pressing buttons multiple times and suddenly you're in some weird settings screen etc.

E7 is just sluggish, as was N97.
N8... ditto!

Old 12-04-2011, 11:49 PM

buxz777 is on a distinguished road
I didn't get on with the nexus one for a few reasons and would choose a n8 over it anytime , I know everyone is different but i sold my nexus one after 12 weeks max

I found that :

battery life wasnt great , signal was average , speaker volume for sat nav wasnt the best , multi-touch is poor , 3D gfx are poor due to weak gpu , no support for wired remote controls , no mass memory , camera is poor and flash useless , poor screen in sunlight ,

that's just off the top of my head , yeah android is ok for a smartphone platform but for me its completely overrated and Symbian underrated .

you mention the free apps , how many of them support adds , i bet a lot of them do which means internet access just to use an app or game . I would rather pay for the full version .

you also mention cloud service's all very well as long as you have 3G or wi-fi reception and arent abroad or out in the sticks somewhere . give me massive mas memory and micro sd slot for files stored on my drives for access anywhere anytime :-)

as its been said many times before at the minute Nokia and Symbian doesnt need a 1ghz cpu , everything runs through the gpu which in real life performance is as good as the iPhone or sgs gpu

android needs a 1ghz cpu as it uses the cpu to run most things although this is about to change in future android releases and the o/s will now be gpu accelerated

everyone to their own and everyone should use what makes you happy but as I said at the start give me the n8 over any phone out there for the convergence it offers , nothing comes close to the n8s convergence

the only thing it misses is dlna/upnp , its built into s3 , just need an app to acces it and use it.

one thing I did love about the nexus one , the resell value :-) I got over 430 pounds for it as they were quite rare :-)

to be honest i was gutted i got it , i lost my n900 and voda offered me the nexus one . I would much rather have had another n900 .

i know your obvously different and have different needs and thats the point iam trying to make , not everyone is the same and i bet there are loads of people that would find the n8 a better phone for their needs then the nexus one .

i also think pr2.0 looks ok , symbian just needed a refresh and its getting it .

happy n8/symbian user here , i bought the n8 for how it was launched all these updates are just bonuses to me :-)

Old 13-04-2011, 12:21 AM

junchao8 is on a distinguished road
Announcement may not be so exciting for potential buyers, yet for the people who already own a ^3 device, it could have gone either way. With companies like Apple updating their few devices, people seem to have the unrealistic expectation manufacture would roll out updates, for any phone - only that Nokia has much wider a range. Gone may be the Symbian glory days, though these devices are very much usable.

With regards to 1+Ghz GPU, in my brief experience with Android, tweak it as you may want, though more often they become liability, when it comes to not lasting the day without charge. My N8 works conversely just fine for upto 2 days...