All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 09-07-2010, 03:51 AM

n0k1a is on a distinguished road
@Arthur: The S60 interface does look pretty ugly, with a white theme (as does any other UI).

S60 3rd FP2 on my new E73 with the Touch Zen (D) - E theme by t7 (and with font magnifier set for 80% font size globally), on the other hand, is absolutely the most nearly perfect UI I have ever seen on any phone or PDA! It's downright gorgeous.

And that is saying a lot, because I literally have hundreds of phones and PDAs.

Thank the deity of your choice that it is 2010, meaning that we have such superb devices as Eseries models running S60, rather than being stuck back in the 90s to which Apple and their ilk are trying to make us regress...actually, it's even worse than that, because at least I can change the batteries in my Newtons!

To bring this back to the topic at hand, I wonder if anyone has tried this version on the E73 yet. They claim support for the E72, so I would expect it to work...might just have to give it a go.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:13 PM

snipboy is on a distinguished road
Once again, the iPhone impacts the rest of the SmartPhone world in a bad way: http://www.fring.com/blog/?p=2303 -- essentially they are reducing support for Skype video calling! Buggar!!!!

Old 12-07-2010, 10:55 AM
Unregistered

N97 owner

Tried this Skype build on my N97 and despite selecting remember me when logging in and selecting to automatically sign in when Skype starts it does not remember..... each time i open Skype i have to add my user name and password all over again! any suggestions on a fix?? (doesn't do this on my N95 8GB)

Old 12-07-2010, 06:56 PM

Stuntman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipboy View Post
Once again, the iPhone impacts the rest of the SmartPhone world in a bad way: http://www.fring.com/blog/?p=2303 -- essentially they are reducing support for Skype video calling! Buggar!!!!
The timing of this is rather suspicious. When I first heard about Facetime, I decided to see what was available to do video calls on my N97. I found Fring and tried it out. It was pretty cool to use Fring on my smartphone to video conference with my wife on her PC using Skype.

I noticed that I started to receive quite a bit of Skype advertising on my email account lately. Now I hear that Fring doesn't work with Skype anymore. Skype is clearly trying to take advantage of the Fring/Skype breakup. Whether or not Skype planned this breakup or not is not entirely clear, but the timing is suspicious.

I must say that the quality of the video conferencing using Fring is rather poor. The video image of me from my phone is really blurry, especially if I make any big movements. The video image of my wife using Skype on her computer is much better. I tried this using WiFi from my house. I haven't tried it on 3G since I figured the quality would likely be even worse.

I have yet to try using Skype from my smartphone yet. I may try it later this week.

Old 15-07-2010, 11:53 AM

deadkenny is on a distinguished road
So how do I download the update? Ovi Store doesn't give me any option other than 'launch' because I've got 1.0 installed.

This is on an E72.

Old 27-07-2010, 04:38 PM

expalmandse is on a distinguished road
Question 3-Uk Skype (v 2.00.29)

I use Skype for the 3-UK network. It is supported by the network and works using the voice line rather than data connection only. It works Ok, but only on 3G, not on wifi. So, cannot use it when I travel.

Thus, I need another s/w for when roaming. Does anyone now if I can install this new version while keeping the network based one - without conflicts? I would like to use each one depending on the place (roaming or not).

So far have I used Fring for that, but now it does not connect to skype! Is Nimbuzz a good alternative? I have never used it!

Old 24-08-2010, 05:30 PM

atique is on a distinguished road
Skype on N97

i have just installed the latest version (ver 1.1.07 )of skype on my N97.
I am unable to signin on N97.
when i write in the user name, nothing comes written althought the cursor moves forward. on sign in,it stops on sign-in screen

any way to sort it out.
regards
ateeq

Old 16-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Connexion informations not memorized

On my N97 (v 22.0.110) with Skype v1.1.0.7:
- login name and password are not kept, even if the option is selected, so I have to reintroduce it at each start,
- the navigation button (at the left of the keyboard) doesn't work in all situations,
- prefix is set to France(+33) and if I modify it to my country (switzerland), I dont know how to memorized it