All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 18-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Symbian says can keep half of smartphone market

There's an interesting piece over on Reuters today, interviewing Symbian's David Wood and summarising the current smartphone market rather well. David is (understandably) optimistic that Symbian can hang onto its 50% market share in the coming years. Worth a five minute read.

Read on in the full article.

Old 18-09-2009, 10:31 AM

celios is on a distinguished road
Good luck to them! They're going to need it with Apple (and Maemo) attacking them at the top end and Android hitting them at the bottom.

Old 18-09-2009, 11:43 AM

oniox is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Very realistic outlook

Lets see whether the new kids on the block can match Symbians track record. I'm yet to be convinced by Android and the very sugar coated iPhone. Reality will dawn once the icing melts away. This is already started with iPhone not even able to make calls (see http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09...date_problems/) , Hero lagging etc.

I'm all for Android as I believe its the most open despite the shadow of the Google giant. But I believe that Symbian will hold fort thanks to up coming improvements like ScreenPlay, Comms rearchitecture etc.

Lets wait and see but dont make the mistake of counting Symbian out. Its the most tried and tested of the lot. IMHO when it comes to battery life, multitasking and core phone functionality etc, its unrivalled.

Thanks
Ads

Old 18-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Unregistered

They are dreaming. It's not just symbian that will loose share with Nokia, Nokia itself will rapidly loose market share because everything from their quality control to marketing sucks. I say this as a Nokia smartphone owner.

Old 18-09-2009, 02:50 PM

sapporobaby is on a distinguished road
What people continue to forget is that Apple does not give 2 craps about Nokia's market share. Apple is going to maintain their market, maybe get another point or two here and there. They are making money hand over fist because they have shown that you do not need the latest hardware to make a pretty decent device. The OS is where it is at. Great that the N97 has a Carl Zeiss lens but the rest of the phone is hosed, and it takes about 10 seconds to get the camera started once you get past the scratched lens. Apple will be fine as will Android. They will not have to take Nokia's share of the market, Nokia will continue to self implode and give their market away. I do not see many people dumping iPhones or Android phones for Nokia's but you can see many long time Nokia users jumping ship.

Old 18-09-2009, 06:26 PM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
As much as i bash nokia and symbian for their poor software, ie where's threaded text conversations for 5800? Where's kinetic scrolling for 5800? On and on. I do however have faith that if and when nokia rolls out v2 software to all touch screen phones that the user experience of s60v5 will do a complete 180. If kinetic scrolling was included out of the box then there would not have been all this disappointment from the mobile community with the n97 and 5800. Look at the upcoming n97 mini. Its software is greatly improved for usability. Its build quality and materials is a great step up over the n97. Its these small issues that make such a huge difference yet its mind blowing that nokia has taken this long just to bring s60v5 up to speed with their competitors.

I actually argue that symbian's market share could INCREASE in the next few years. Nokia is pushing symbian down thru their mid and low end phones. They are expanding symbian to basically their entire portfolio. If they keep fixing the usability issues like giving kinetic scrolling to every phone asap, they could very well increase symbian's overall market share.

Old 19-09-2009, 05:40 PM

smellati is on a distinguished road
i hope nokia starts to lose significant market share. they need to learn that their business stragedy (i wont go to detail cause my post would be too long) isnt working.

Old 19-09-2009, 06:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
? Where's kinetic scrolling for 5800? .
The 5800 is a phone that can be purchased sim free under 200 euros. It is a cheap basic devices and as such does not have non-essential ui tricks that are used to sell other devices.

There aren't that many devices in that price range that do have Kinetic scrolling. The 5530 has it, but it sacrifices a lot of other features, like GPS etc.

The 5800 is heavily featured. If it were stuffed with too much more then it would be competing more directly with the N97. You could say an N97 mini is a 5800 with kinetic scrolling and a keyboard. But if you want that extra stuff then you need to pay for it. 5800 with keyboard and kinetic scrolling .... 450 euros.

Are they going to give it away? No. Do other phone companies give away Kinetic scrolling with GPS/WiFi and all the other features of a 5800 for under 200 euros?

Nokia will be OK.

Old 20-09-2009, 02:39 AM

RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
Umm yes, as a matter of fact, every single touch screen phone on the market has kinetic scrolling. Every google android phone has it. Every iphone has it. Even every nokia touch phone has it, 5230, 5530, n97 and n97 mini. Samsung phones have it. Even verizon phones here have it. The cheapest nokia touch phone that costs 150 euro has it. So your argument goes right out the window. I'm sure the 5800 will get kinetic scrolling in an update eventually. It makes no sense to not give it. Nokia's express music touch screen phones all share identical cpu, ram, screen resolution, and identical firmware with enhanced homescreen and kinetic. The 5800 fills right in line with this and deserves kinetic scrolling, and hopefully it will get it soon enough. It looks pretty embarrassing for nokia to not give it considering it sold 8million units.

Old 21-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
Umm yes, as a matter of fact, every single touch screen phone on the market has kinetic scrolling. Every google android phone has it. Every iphone has it. Even every nokia touch phone has it, 5230, 5530, n97 and n97 mini. Samsung phones have it. Even verizon phones here have it. The cheapest nokia touch phone that costs 150 euro has it. So your argument goes right out the window. I'm sure the 5800 will get kinetic scrolling in an update eventually. It makes no sense to not give it. Nokia's express music touch screen phones all share identical cpu, ram, screen resolution, and identical firmware with enhanced homescreen and kinetic. The 5800 fills right in line with this and deserves kinetic scrolling, and hopefully it will get it soon enough. It looks pretty embarrassing for nokia to not give it considering it sold 8million units.
You haven't actually read my post. I have outlined why 5800 doesn't have kinetic scrolling and your answer does nothing to put anything out of the window. The cheapest Nokia touch has Kinetic scrolling, yes, but it doesn't have all the other features of the 5800. It's a cost feature. Add them all up.

Of course every iPhone has it. But the iPhone is 3 or four times the price of the 5800. How much are all the other phones, Android, Samsung etc? Under 200 euro? With GPS and Wifi etc?

The defenestration applies to your simplistic answer.