All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-09-2002, 02:32 PM

Moka is on a distinguished road
1 year later - do you still like your 9210?

I was just thinking, I had my 9210 for almost a year! I'll stick with it for a while longer, (ive seen a few people with the 9110 and they seem very happy with it still - even with that B&W screen! But, I've been 'looking around' - the slag that I am. I might wait to see what it's replacement is like? Dunno yet.

Things which annoy me about the 9210 are:

- the lack of application memory
- no bluetooth
- no MP3
- no Opera browser
- can't save all contacts to a CSV or simple TXT file
- slow CPU
- it's a tad thick

:-?

...but i still love the bright screen and the great keyboard!
I won't upgrade to a 9210i (i dont personally think it's worth it - i'd sooner get a completely different device, like possibly a HP928/P88).

1) What's your verdict on the 9210?
2) What are you considering eventually replacing it with?

Old 07-09-2002, 03:42 PM

jaggeraugustine is on a distinguished road
Re: 1 year later - do you still like your 9210?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooky
I was just thinking, I had my 9210 for almost a year! I'll stick with it for a while longer, (ive seen a few people with the 9110 and they seem very happy with it still - even with that B&W screen! But, I've been 'looking around' - the slag that I am. I might wait to see what it's replacement is like? Dunno yet.

Things which annoy me about the 9210 are:

- the lack of application memory
- no bluetooth
- no MP3
- no Opera browser
- can't save all contacts to a CSV or simple TXT file
- slow CPU
- it's a tad thick

:-?

...but i still love the bright screen and the great keyboard!
I won't upgrade to a 9210i (i dont personally think it's worth it - i'd sooner get a completely different device, like possibly a HP928/P88).

1) What's your verdict on the 9210?
2) What are you considering eventually replacing it with?
Hmmm mine's almost 1 year and 4 months

a lil bit clarifications
- 9210 can save txt files using YEDIT
- its a tad thick, yeah, but elegantly designed
- MP3's can still be played... but sad to say it has an output of mono... (maybe a module can solve it at all?)

To answer the question.. yes I still love my communicator. Y? Because I never get bored of this device. Possibilities are somehow endless. I download and evaluate almost all applications and somehow I buy them if I liked them. 9210 has it all that's y I really love this gadget.

Hmmm Im thinking of replacing my 9210 if Nokia would be releasing a better communicator w/c would have MMS, GPRS, bluetooth, camera, stereo sounds, USB connection, and faster processor (like 9310 , 9650, ... and 9990 how I wish)... well, there are a'lot of rumors right now so probably we just have to wait...

Old 07-09-2002, 03:47 PM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
Only thing I don't like about it is the mmc instead of sd.
Stereo would also be cool.
I don't use mp3's because the wavs converted with MultimediaPro are smaller then mp3.

Old 07-09-2002, 04:44 PM

patrasjim is on a distinguished road
Yes, I still like my 9210 very much. I'm an oprimistic person, so I'm waitting for a bluetooth module, a portable radio module, a mms application, the full Greek localisation and an external devices module (you know: keyboard , mouse , hard drive and external monitor ). OK maybe I'm rather dreamming than just being optimistic, but it's the only mobile that I have for more than a year. And I had a lot of them. I will only change it with a 3G one. Next year maybe... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Old 07-09-2002, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

SwitchBlade is on a distinguished road
I'm considering replacing mine with a 9210i as the 9210 is looking a bit tatty now. A year on and it still has no serious rival, some good software is still trickling out. As for size, compare the 9210 to a Series 5 or a Revo and it's a darn sight more pocketable.
A weekly science fiction serial by me, written on a 9500/E90.

Old 07-09-2002, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Gadget17 is on a distinguished road
I will be sticking with my 9210 for the forseeable future, but if I upgraded in the future, would consider staying with Nokia if they included USB and MAC support.

Also would be great if they could somehow incorperate a larger memory format like IBM's microdrive, imagine 1Gb memory, could store ALL currently available programs for 9210 I bet! (Althouh maybe too big for out pocket sized phone. LOL!)

Old 07-09-2002, 10:25 PM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
I'm happy with my 9210 at the moment. However I'm hopeful fo a next generation WCDMA device in the near(ish) future.

Old 08-09-2002, 12:49 AM

with all the goods, the bads which never got mention by a funny east european guy who just never admit them are

too big it can be uch smaller-look at the un-uised areas
too slow
impossible to view at sun light
cannot open complex web pages
can not open many applications
lag simple functions such as open picture files sent from other nokia phones
earpiece is in the back and barely audible
not very stable in earlier firm wares
slippery cursor key
not very accrurate key board
no touchscreen
no camera integrated
no vibration, mms, bluetooth, answering machine
no light indicators
key board cannot be viewed in the dark
slow and some time useless sync softwares
etc

some could be corrected by third party sofwares but the important ones like theslow system the washout screen at sunlight, the slippery keyboard, the no-java scrip browser cannot

Old 08-09-2002, 12:54 AM

Dazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud ofDazler has much to be proud of
Lol I think I can make a list like that for every single piece of technology that excists on this planet.

I'm not even going to depate some of those issues :p

Old 08-09-2002, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Lol most of those bads didn't matter when you bought the phone as standards etc didn't exist for them, my screen is perfectly usable in daylight and lights up the keys fine in the dark. I agree that the Dpad can be dodgy at times. It can't be any smaller (what's "free" on the outside doesn't mean there's not stuff inside, open one up and it's packed in quite tightly. Never had any problems with it being slow. Complex websites, do you really wanna veiw them on a 640x200 screen???? And why open more than 1 or 2 apps at once?

Old 08-09-2002, 02:02 AM

dazler, apart from keyboad, big screen and web browser-each has its own weak points; what i list are BASIC STUFFS OF CHEAP PHONES. besides this is a forum, i aired my view on FACTS,u like it or not or want to debate or not is not the point, man.

switblaz, i cannot even open this site by 9210, who are talking opening two sites. i also cannot open certain pictures loaded to mmc. the screen is not transflective nor anti reflective, how can it be viewed in direct sunlight without wash out. yours must be a special one.

Old 08-09-2002, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Mine is harder to see in direct sunlight yes, but I can still see what I'm doing. I assume you are using the standard phone web browser rather than Opera with which this site is known to work. Certain pictures on the MMC, are you sure they aren't corrupted, too large or a wrong file format (the usual issues).
Ads

Old 08-09-2002, 09:32 AM

Loonyworld is on a distinguished road
STILL LOVE MINE .....WOULD PERRISH WITHOUT !!!!

Complex webpages.....COME ON .... Like our dear switchblade points out at another topic ...
Itīs a GIMMICK NOT A LAPTOP ...
No matter what you say it still beats a palmpilot or the likes ....
And as for the "unstable in early firmware" I can only say ....GET A UPDATE ...Itīs free of charge ...4.13 r00x00r
So here 1 year later I can only say ....DEAR GOD ..let it hold another year

True men sleep with their 9210 under the pillow ....

Old 08-09-2002, 09:48 AM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
Parted company with mine in July. I'd had it for over a year, must have been one of the first ones out.

I still liked it, but decided to sell in anticipation of the "soon to be released" P800 or 9210i. Below are my list of gripes that helped it go. Just to clarify, I liked it but didn't use it as often as I would have had these been resolved. Every device has its "issues", you get to know them after a year. Maybe all addressed in the 9310 (though I won't buy it, but will wait for the 9310i )

Reasons for selling it:

Lack of USB, file transfers were slow, hassle. Sync. for contacts, calendar was fine but email was slow.

Also related to the above, removing/replacing the MMC felt a little delicate. Kept worrying about breaking the access door. OK for occational use, but would not be happy doing it 100s of times while not taking care. (Not snap in snap out). Now if it had had USB, would not have had to do it often anyway.

No Opera (without Out of Memory issues). Addressed in 9210i

Lack of Executable memory/out of memory issues. Possibly addressed on 9210i (better memory management), would have been better if they just stuck another 8 Mb in there.

Sluggish opening apps etc. Faster processor would have been nice. Again possibly adressed in 9210i with faster memory.

No lit keyboard, I used to use my IPaq in bed with the lights out (wife was not happy). Difficult with the 9210.

Lack of Automatic file syncronization. Major gripe with the Sync. software. No way of saying sync or copy the following files on every sync.

Bluetooth would have been nice, but since the phone is built in, not a major loss. Might have got round the lack of USB though.

GPRS maybe, but it is only just starting to approach affordable(ish).

A little on the large side, but if the other issues were resolved, I could live with that.

I didn't miss a touchscreen at all, quite liked not worrying about smudge marks on the screen.

Now for an unusual one that probably really made me sell. Lack of a 3rd party Twin Sim convertor. I have 2 Sims, 1 work, 1 personal. Having to open the flip cover, remove the battery, change sim and then close it all and wait for the device to reboot was prooving too much hassle. With a normal phone I just got a twin sim convertor or battery and problem solved.

Anyway, 9210i is out but doesn't address some of the above.
Primarily, no USB or Bluetooth, so sync. and file transfer still an issue, auto. file sync. issue and the twin sim issue.

P800 is almost here, but still have a couple of concerns.
Doesn't have the hi-res screen of the 9210.
Still does not appear to sync. files. automatically.
Concerns about lack of volume sales (relative to standard phones), hence twin sim option not likely to appear for some time (If at all). Looks from photos like the battery needs removing for sim changes, hence I get reboot delays.

Now Work have given me a Bluetooth enabled 6310i for which I have bought a twin sim convertor. So now I'm looking at getting just a PDA with Bluetooth.

Penny for your thoughts.

Zuber

Old 08-09-2002, 09:54 AM

Zuber is on a distinguished road
One of the reasons I was really keen on the 9210i is Opera. Complex web pages are perfectly possible. With a 640 wide screen & an Orange 28k connection, Web is quite a practicle (if expensive) option.

Back to my twin sim thing. On one card I can use High speed a t a reasonable cost, but on the other it's silly money. Can't switch quickly between the two.

Zuber