All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

  #1  
Old 04-08-2008, 06:00 AM
slitchfield slitchfield is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 7,002
slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Hands-on with the Samsung INNOV8

It's the hottest ticket in town and Rafe and I were able to spend a whole afternoon with the Samsung INNOV8, due for availability in September. With slick black styling, 8 megapixel camera, GPS, UPnP, Wi-Fi and every other acronym you can think of, including DivX and WMV compatibility, the INNOV8 is the highest specified phone in the world - and it runs S60 3rd Edition FP2. You'll find thoughts, details, screenshots, photos and a video in our exclusive hands-on INNOV8 (p)review.

Read on in the full article.

  #2  
Old 04-08-2008, 06:35 AM
ashu ashu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 163
ashu is on a distinguished road
my n 82 is also quaking!!!

You lucky lucky lucky lucky guys!!!!!!!!!

I will probably wait for this cell to have user reviews on its full retail version. but the cover says, the book must be awesome....

When closed, its having a slightly familiar look of n 95 8gb, dont you feel so?

  #3  
Old 04-08-2008, 06:54 AM
ashu ashu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 163
ashu is on a distinguished road
I saw road sync in apps screen shot?

Hey, In one of the screenshots, I saw road sync. Does it come as a standard package with the phone???
If so, then this is a fantastic thing. If standard, hope they are giving away the licenced version and not the trial one!!!

  #4  
Old 04-08-2008, 07:18 AM
Fractalhedron
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Aww, so close.

They really need to be done with QVGA at this point. Seriously. As much as we may hate it, the iPhone (with all new 'Deceptive price points!') is rapidly making 80-character-wide screens a standard.

Also no US 3G is downright offensive. If it had that I'd at least consider it.

  #5  
Old 04-08-2008, 08:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
hi
can the themes used on nokia phones? (s60 fp1?)
can someone post the themes? they look great!

  #6  
Old 04-08-2008, 08:22 AM
RogerPodacter RogerPodacter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cali, USA
Posts: 773
RogerPodacter is on a distinguished road
wow so no US 3G? why why why would they exclude that? at least the screen is QVGA so it doesnt make the n95 (and nokia in general) look too outdated. if i switched to samsung, however, i would miss lots of the little things like nokia specific apps and services, which wont work on the samsung. however this build quality surely must be awesome compared to the n95. still not sure what nokia is thinking regarding N series and build quality.

  #7  
Old 04-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Williamoni Williamoni is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 131
Williamoni is on a distinguished road
I've pretty much implemented a 'Nokia only' policy in my life and then this beast comes along. I must admit to some adulterous thoughts.

Does that mean I'm a bad person? Look even Steve was talking about a quaking N95 8Gb.

Strikes me how much it looks like a camera at the back.

Good work guys.

  #8  
Old 04-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
oh no..it beats N96 doesnt it..
this is bad..
i somehow dont like the design of innov8 but it has better features than n96..
which one should i choose =(

  #9  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Rafe, very good review. I'm deciding whether to purchase the N96 or the INNOV8. Both devices have impressive specs, but what will tip the balance will be the applications. Question - seeing the INNOV8 runs symbian FP2, can we install nokia symbian apps? e.g. nokia's mail for exchange, nokia maps, etc. thanks.
Ads

  #10  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
looking at the features this device has, samsung should call this as N96 UPGRADE

  #11  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Rafe's Avatar
Rafe Rafe is offline
Founder / Chief
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sussex
Posts: 6,084
Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu View Post
You lucky lucky lucky lucky guys!!!!!!!!!

I will probably wait for this cell to have user reviews on its full retail version. but the cover says, the book must be awesome....

When closed, its having a slightly familiar look of n 95 8gb, dont you feel so?
Yes it does feel a lot like the N95 8GB. It feels slightly smaller, but quite so smooth (more lumps and bumps). As I said in the review the design language is more mechanical to Nokia organic, but thats subjective. You see some side by side photos in the Gallery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu View Post
Hey, In one of the screenshots, I saw road sync. Does it come as a standard package with the phone???
If so, then this is a fantastic thing. If standard, hope they are giving away the licenced version and not the trial one!!!
Not known yet as this was a proto. It would make sense given MfE.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractalhedron View Post
They really need to be done with QVGA at this point. Seriously. As much as we may hate it, the iPhone (with all new 'Deceptive price points!') is rapidly making 80-character-wide screens a standard.

Also no US 3G is downright offensive. If it had that I'd at least consider it.
QVGA is a tricky one - I'd like to see higher resolutions and they will arrive soon. That said QVGA is still the standard mainly because it's good enough for most people. The top users always want more of course.

US 3G - as I said this would have to be an operator request. S60 has very low market share in the States - partly because of the type of the devices, but partly because of operators being gate keepers. It doesn;t make economic sense to make a band variant when you can only sell it SIM-free. Its not good... but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter View Post
wow so no US 3G? why why why would they exclude that? at least the screen is QVGA so it doesnt make the n95 (and nokia in general) look too outdated. if i switched to samsung, however, i would miss lots of the little things like nokia specific apps and services, which wont work on the samsung. however this build quality surely must be awesome compared to the n95. still not sure what nokia is thinking regarding N series and build quality.
See above for US 3G. Will have to wait for final hardware and some testing time to see how build quality stacks up longer term. And yes the Nokia software is a major consideration IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamoni View Post
I've pretty much implemented a 'Nokia only' policy in my life and then this beast comes along. I must admit to some adulterous thoughts.

Does that mean I'm a bad person? Look even Steve was talking about a quaking N95 8Gb.

Strikes me how much it looks like a camera at the back.

Good work guys.
I nearly drop dead from shock when Steve made noises about the INNOV8 replacing his N95. But no you're not a bad person. Thinking is fine, its the doing that is really bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
oh no..it beats N96 doesnt it..
this is bad..
i somehow dont like the design of innov8 but it has better features than n96..
which one should i choose =(
Indeed I think for those use to Nokia's this might be the biggest factor (along with software compatibility). We'll put both devices head to head to help you make a decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Rafe, very good review. I'm deciding whether to purchase the N96 or the INNOV8. Both devices have impressive specs, but what will tip the balance will be the applications. Question - seeing the INNOV8 runs symbian FP2, can we install nokia symbian apps? e.g. nokia's mail for exchange, nokia maps, etc. thanks.
Yes you can install third party apps. Obviously we could not do any extensive testing, but we did install a few and they seemed to work fine. Handy Taskman, Screenshot etc. However Nokia apps will probably not work. This may be a restriction in the .sis header or a missing certificate... At the same time I think it would make sense for some of Nokia services / apps to be made available. Nokia Maps is compatible in theory but will not have been tested (and thus is blocked 'artificially'). However given the business model (subscription) why not get it onto as many handsets as possible?
__________________
Remember: The search command is your friend.
Feedback wanted: PM, email or post with your suggestions, complaints, feedback.

  #12  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:24 AM
reflecto reflecto is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1
reflecto is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Rafe, very good review. I'm deciding whether to purchase the N96 or the INNOV8. Both devices have impressive specs, but what will tip the balance will be the applications. Question - seeing the INNOV8 runs symbian FP2, can we install nokia symbian apps? e.g. nokia's mail for exchange, nokia maps, etc. thanks.

Yes, it is an important question for me too. I bought the G810, without realising that nothing can be installed onto the phone.

  #13  
Old 04-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Tzer2 Tzer2 is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,204
Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I've pretty much implemented a 'Nokia only' policy in my life and then this beast comes along. I must admit to some adulterous thoughts.

Does that mean I'm a bad person? Look even Steve was talking about a quaking N95 8Gb.
If you move from a Nokia S60 to a Samsung S60 (or Samsung S60 to Nokia S60), that's really really good for the platform because it gives both the manufacturers an incentive to make their S60 devices better.

Nokia's dominated S60 for so long, it's become the default choice for anyone who likes the platform, but if people buy Samsung S60 models too it'll create a lot more variety and competition within the Symbian world. It should also encourage Samsung to support S60 more, and having both Nokia and Samsung behind S60 will definitely bring it to a larger audience.

The problem with the UIQ-S60 situation was that people couldn't move to and from each platform as easily, because they had the same OS but not the same interface, and their apps weren't compatible. But now that Symbian is unifying into one single platform, direct head-to-heads like the INNOV8 vs N95 8GB should become more common, which is very good news for Symbian users.

  #14  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:17 AM
N/A's Avatar
N/A N/A is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 7,948
N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe View Post
Yes you can install third party apps. Obviously we could do any extensive testing, but we did install a few and they seemed to work fine. Handy Taskman, Screenshot etc. However Nokia apps will probably not work. This may be a restriction in the .sis header or a missing certificate...
Non-Nokia S60 phones will not have the Nokia content signing root certificate, so Nokia-signed files will not install. They have to be from Symbian Signed.

Note that some applications might have embedded .sisx files that are Nokia-signed, even if the actual application is Symbian Signed. They won't install, either.

  #15  
Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Seeing it's not possible to install native Nokia Apps in non Nokia phones, will porting Nokia's certificates to other S60 phones work. Could this force the app to think the phone is indeed a Nokia phone and then it could be installed ?
 

Bookmarks

Tags
handson, innov8, samsung

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 10:40 AM.


vBulletin skins developed by: eXtremepixels
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Notes || Contact Us || Privacy Policy