All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 16-10-2010, 03:23 PM

skarbd is on a distinguished road
N8 WLAN Connection Management Issue

Good afternoon,

This is my first post on these forums, mainly because it's the first time I've had a phone that's as complicated as this. I would say unintuitive, but that's probably a bit harsh, since I ran in to a problem straight away, which put me into a gumpy mood

When I set up phone for my WLAN, I mistyped the password. It took me a while to realise I needed to connect, then during the connect, perform a disconnect, which would allow me to change the password.

I would have preferred an edit option on a connection.

Once I changed the password, it created a 2nd connection to the wireless lan.

So I now have

wlancon
wlancon(01)

Where wlancon has the wrong password and the wlancon(01) had the correct one. The problem is all the apps take wlancon as the connection to use, not wlancon(01), which is unstandable, but because it's wrong, doesn't connect.

Again, unfortunately just like I don't have an edit option on with WLAN Connections, there isn't a delete.

So the question is. How do I removed wlancon from my phone.

Thanks for any thoughts.

PS - May I moan about Ovi Suite ..... ahhhhh. PC suite moans about the phone being unsupported, else I wouldn't have moved. How can you create an application that doesn't allow you to specify the install directory.

Old 16-10-2010, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
check in destinations... and delete it from there.

Old 16-10-2010, 05:44 PM

Sorry to appear dense, but where is destinations?

Would it be possible to provide a Menu->Settings-> ..... to its location. I have been through the options in a lot of the menu's so I'm probably missing something glaringly obvious.

Old 16-10-2010, 11:27 PM

bassyben is on a distinguished road
I had the same problem. Destinations is found through:

Menu -> Settings -> Connectivity -> Settings -> Destinations

The access points are split into categories. The WLAN that failed to connect was listed under 'Uncategorised'. I couldn't find a way to delete it but by clicking on

Uncategorized -> [problemWLAN] -> WLAN security settings

you can edit the password (where [problemWLAN] is the name of the wireless connection that's not working).

Can't say whether this has worked as I'm now out of range of the WLAN in question; I'll find out next time I'm there! Hope it works for you.

Old 17-10-2010, 03:55 AM

ajeet is on a distinguished road
For N97, Settings->Connectivity->Destinations->Internet, in here you can delete the incorrect wifi connetion or all if you want. I think it should the same for N8, which has some what a similar Symbian maybe a bit quicker.

Old 17-10-2010, 07:37 AM

strcmp is on a distinguished road
Destinations is in settings->connectivity->settings->destinations.

You can get straight to connectivity from the home screen by pressing near the battery meter and selecting the icon at the top left of the popup which looks like two arrows pointing left and right. If you've got active connections or notifications, then there will be extra options in the popup.

[edit] It's been moved because you don't need to use it so much - the WLAN auto use etc. is now configured from Connectivity directly without needing to manually fiddle with connection priorities.

Last edited by strcmp; 17-10-2010 at 07:40 AM.

Old 17-10-2010, 09:21 AM

Thank you.

It's not exactly the same but it was enough to give my search more direction and find it. I had got around it by specifying in each app the connection, which meant I was moving away from system default option which I didn't really want to do long term. Now I have sorted it properly.

Anyway the path from the highest level is.

Settings (Spanner Symbol) -> Connectivity -> Settings -> Destinations -> Internet ->

Conclave (WLan) Priority 1
Vodaphone Live Priority 2
Vodaphone Internet GPRS Priority 3

It's amazing how many levels you need to go down to find this sometimes.

I installed Opera 10 last night and that seems very good. It "seems" to be nicer than the installed nokia browser, but maybe to early to say.

EDIT : Strcmp, I didn't see your reply straight since I was replying to ajeet, so sorry for repeating what you had written. The tip on the 2 arrows was useful.

Last edited by skarbd; 17-10-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Old 17-10-2010, 09:56 AM

Interesting issue.

I now have 3 connections

Conclave (WLan) Priority 1
Vodaphone Live Priority 2
Vodaphone Internet GPRS Priority 3

All neat and tidy. So I set Opera to use the system default, which I assume would be Conclave 1. It comes back with a error regarding the server, which I have seen in a few forums already.

Now if I set it to ask me on connection (I pick Conclave) OR I set Opera to Conclave Wlan automatically, then connection happens.

Can I assume that the system default is not working off the list in the internet destinations?

Anyway, I went for always ask and that seems fine and to be honest is probably the option I am most comfortable with for now.

Old 18-10-2010, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

kontraband is on a distinguished road
ah sorry... glad you found it tho.

In destinations I have it setup as 'Internet' & 'Mobile Internet'.

Internet has wifi connections and the GPRS connection if an app needs it. I tend have this is the default for Opera.

Mobile Internet just allows me the 3G access out and about without having to go into Internet and ping for wifi 1st.

Old 17-02-2011, 10:59 AM

PatrickOfLondon is on a distinguished road
Smile

Nokia N8 WLAN entries: rename, delete, change priority for, or move or copy to another destination

Hi,

I’m new to this forum and to my Nokia N8.

I had the same issue as Skarbd: couldn’t find how to delete a WLAN, <name>(01), that I wanted to remove.

I know the contributors below have resolved this and the information they gave was helpful in leading me to the solution; but I still had to infer, from the clues they gave, exactly how to do it – so in case it is helpful to other N8 new-user Google-searchers like me seeking help on this issue, here are the COMPLETE steps to rename, delete, change priority for, or move or copy to another destination, a Nokia N8 WLAN entry.

Click the Menu key (bottom left of N8’s front surface)
> Settings
> Connectivity
> Settings
> Destinations
> Internet
> In the list of access points, hold down the one you want to rename, delete, change priority for, or move or copy to another destination
> Select the desired action from the resulting pop-up menu

Note: To change priority, after selecting “change priority”, you then tap at the desired new position in the priority list

I hope this helps someone. To me, the N8's Symbian 3 is certainly not a model of ergonomics or intuitivity but I got the N8 because (a) I wanted a phone with a good inbuilt camera, and (b) it was widely reviewed as having the best camera of any "camera phone" -- and hey, I forgive it everything else for the truly outstanding photos and videos from this phone. They're superb: far, far outclassing those from my old Nokia 6300, and generally equalling my Canon SX200 IS for ad-hoc photography.

Last edited by PatrickOfLondon; 17-02-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Ads