All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 20-05-2008, 12:50 PM

sbc is on a distinguished road
Another ferry bug...

Try taking the ferry to Fur in Denmark and find another ferry bug. Even though its 700 meter route is on the map, you can't access it. Try planning that short route and McGuider calculates about half a million different roads, before finally giving up or crashing (it can be a bit temperamental).

56°48'14.68"N 9°01'17.16"E

56°47'59.48"N 9°01'35.28"E

Last edited by sbc; 20-05-2008 at 02:24 PM.

Old 20-05-2008, 08:08 PM

sonym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinn-uk View Post
Hi Sonym, thanks for your reply.
Heres google maps shots of the directions sygic suggested and the one's that are quickest.

Journey 1, is the first part of the journey i suggested yesterday.
Journey 2, is the last part
Journey 3, is a new one I've thrown in today whereby the turning off the A611 that Sygic suggested I go down is a dirt bike track! and certainly not useable by a normal vehicle. The correct route is in blue.

Journey 1 start co-ordinates:
Lat (WGS84) N53:04:47 ( 53.079716 )
Long (WGS84) W0:57:38 ( -0.960440 )
Journey 2 end co-ordinates:
Lat (WGS84) N53:09:27 ( 53.157548 )
Long (WGS84) W1:09:46 ( -1.162672 )
Journey 3 co-ordinates of incorrect routing along unusable road:
Lat (WGS84) N53:03:50 ( 53.063777 )
Long (WGS84) W1:14:08 ( -1.235524 )

Hope this helps you make some routing corrections, I've been using the app all day and I forgot about another crazy route it threw me up, ill include this one too as journey 4:
Lat (WGS84) N53:07:54 ( 53.131550 )
Long (WGS84) W1:09:26 ( -1.157304 )
The app once again takes me a long way round just to keep you on an A Road instead up just cutting straight through the smaller roads. (which are 40mph!)
The roads marked with Red are the sygic routes and in blue is the correct much faster route.

I hope you can have a look at the routing on the app.
Also when I try to navigate to Chequers Lane, Derby by street name the app does an infinate routing search and wont actually calculate a route, it seems to be stuck trying to calculate the last 8 yards of the journey.

Good things I've noticed... I love the lane assist when it appears.
More bad things... The Frame rate seems very slow, I remember trying a very early beta of this program and the frame rate was very slick, now however its very slow ( 2 -3 fps max), maybe its something to do with all the speed camera POI's i've imported, but I had those on the early beta and that ran like a dream compared to this version.

Im really glad someone from sygic is here and is taking notice of us, however I feel we've got a long way to go to perfect this app...
Thank you. We will take a look at it. At least the dirty bike road ( example 3) should be fixed.
Generally we prefer following main road on higher levels, thats why it takes you around and not with shortest way. In our opinion it is better for people who dont know the surrounding countryside stay on one higher level and faster road. For you it is clear choice, because you know this road, and you will not lost, but people who are there first time in life want travel via main roads as much as they can.

This is for a long conversation and one will say that this is better and anotherone will say something different.
We cant sutisfy them all.

Old 20-05-2008, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejaynl View Post
Sonym, once again thanks for listening to our comments and suggestions on this forum.
I have a possible bug to mention, however (and i'll probably get complaints for this) it's for the McGuider running on an HTC s710 (windows mobile for smartphones):

I have to use a bluetooth gps module, and Mcguider will only recognize the device the first time after I pair it with my s710. If I want to use Mcguider a second time, I will have to first delete the module and then re-pair it again before McGuider recognizes it. This process will occur everytime! It appears that McGuider does remember the GPS port settings and baud rate, however it cannot seem to use the outgoing port.

I realize this is a symbian forum, but I desperatly want this little piece of software to succeed because just like the symbian users, we WM smartphone users are limited in our choices of decent satnavs and this one looks like a winner!

Anyway, keep up the good work! (and sorry for barging into this thread)
Im afraid that this is not McGuider problem. We only read from Com port what is there. We do not make pairing with BT gps device. It is up to WM. So in first start, we make an autodetection, and store com port and baudrate to settings.dat file. Next time, we try to open this port again.

Old 20-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Ben Frain is on a distinguished road
Sonym,

The only thing stopping me ordering this product is knowing how I go about transferring it from the supplied SD card to the mass memory on my N95 8GB. Can you explain the process? If it is simple I will be happy to order.

Thanks.

Old 21-05-2008, 05:24 AM

Peter321 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonym View Post
...Generally we prefer following main road on higher levels, thats why it takes you around and not with shortest way. In our opinion it is better for people who dont know the surrounding countryside stay on one higher level and faster road...
I agree with you that some will find this OK, others not - but it's nice to hear it's a deliberate choice and not a bug in your routing algorithm. The way you explain it makes perfect sense to me.

Looking forward to the coming update.

Old 21-05-2008, 05:45 AM

Peter321 is on a distinguished road
Found another small routing error.

Traveling from:

Emdrupvej @55.722710, 12.541409

to

Ullerødvej @55.912990, 12.512130

Right after the first turn you have to get on the motorway - but instead of using the on-ramp you are told to continue below it and turn left onto the motorway.

Although the end-result is the same, it seems strange not to use the actual on-ramp.

Indeed when making the route on Google maps, it does use the on-ramp as one would expect.

Old 21-05-2008, 11:49 AM

djinn-uk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Thank you. We will take a look at it. At least the dirty bike road ( example 3) should be fixed.
Generally we prefer following main road on higher levels, thats why it takes you around and not with shortest way. In our opinion it is better for people who dont know the surrounding countryside stay on one higher level and faster road. For you it is clear choice, because you know this road, and you will not lost, but people who are there first time in life want travel via main roads as much as they can.

This is for a long conversation and one will say that this is better and anotherone will say something different.
We cant sutisfy them all.
Whilst I appreciate why your routing does this it would also be nice if you included a routing option that goes for the route that is shorter rather than going the long way round everytime, its very stressfull when you know quicker ways than the sat nav app wants to go, interestingly the journey 4 problem i mentioned, out of all the other sat nav's I've tried yours is the only one to direct you all the way down that road, rather than cutting through.

Also I've heard quite a few complaints about the custom POI's killing off the speed of the app, I know it has on myne, Im only getting 2 - 3fps if that most of the time and it appears to be the custom speed camera poi's that are killing the app off, is there anyway to improve the implimentation of the custom poi's? As I said before we need the option to only alert to poi's that are actually on route and we also need the speed of the app to be unaffected by the addition of camera POI's.

Garmin XT had a very interesting way of dealing with speed camera POI's, not only did it warn you and flash up the speed of the camera at the top of screen it also beeped a higher pitch tone when you were speeding higher than the cameras limit, not only that but the app automatically setup the distance of the camera warning (i.e a 70mph camera was alerted along way before a 30mph camera), all this was done only on speed cameras that were actually on your route, a much better system IMO. All this information (camera speed, distance of alert etc..) must all be stored in the pocketgpsworld database, so you should be able to impliment its use. The most important factors here though is 1: POI alerts only on route option. and 2: Improve handling of custom POI's so as to not affect app's speed.

Cheers.

Old 21-05-2008, 12:17 PM

djinn-uk is on a distinguished road
Oh and Sonym, a couple of other bugs (your gonna hate me soon!)

1: I like to minimise the app instead of closing it down and rebooting it, with Route66 I just press Red, jump out of the car, go to my call, then jump back in and bring the application straight back up. With Sygic when I press Red the app closes down completely, I can minimise it by pressing the menu key then quitting all the menu's to get back to the main screen, but It would be more convenient to just minimise if possible by pressing the Red end call key.
2: when the app is minimised it keeps the backlight on, even in standby! sometimes when the keypad locks it goes off other times it doesnt, very annoying and drains battery life very quickly.

I think if you can iron those few bugs out and the others mentioned before we will be looking good (dare I say top sat nav app?)

Cheers

Old 21-05-2008, 02:58 PM

ccraig is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Frain View Post
Sonym,

The only thing stopping me ordering this product is knowing how I go about transferring it from the supplied SD card to the mass memory on my N95 8GB. Can you explain the process? If it is simple I will be happy to order.

Thanks.
looks like this question is being dodged i asked it twice some1 else asked now you.
3rd time lucky i hope so i'll ask again

How easy is it to transfer to a phone with internal memory like the N95 8GB from the 2GB card ?
and what happens if our phone needs replacing or a formatt/firmware upgrade b/c we have already transfered once would that mean we would need to rebuy the software ?

thanks for your time sonym please reply to us on this issue

Last edited by ccraig; 21-05-2008 at 03:04 PM.

Old 21-05-2008, 08:38 PM

How to move McGuider from SDCARD to N95 8GB

Hi all,

You have to contact McGuider support and ask for reactivation ( or unblocking ) of your product code. Then you can reactivate your McGuider with support guy or reactivate it by yourself on activate.sygic.com.

This activation system will be also shortly on www.mcguider.com available.

Old 21-05-2008, 08:47 PM

One more thing

I forgot one important thing, You can reactivate only once.

Old 21-05-2008, 10:17 PM

lovesign is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I forgot one important thing, You can reactivate only once.
Can you explain why ?

If I buy McGuider, install it on my 8GB card, when I get my 16GB card and want to shove everything over on to that, I'm basically screwed, right ?

Not a very user friendly policy I'm afraid. And I bet it's totally ineffective at reducing piracy, which is why i presume Sygic have implemented it.

Most disappointing, and a lost sale I'm afraid.

I Hate People Who Take Drugs.....

Customs Men For Example

V 22.0.110
(Custom Version 22.0.110.C01.01)
11-06-10
RM-505
© Nokia N97

v 21.0.004
(Custom Version 21.0.004.209.03)
01-07-2010
RM-559
© Nokia X6-00

6110 > 7110 > 6210i > 8210 > 7650 > 6600 > 6680 > N73 > N95 > 5800> N97 > X6
Ads

Old 22-05-2008, 06:37 AM

Only once

If we look at other navsat system we can see that others dont offer such thing as One Reactivation.

I think IGo is locked on SDCard, you cant reactivate.
In the past, Tomtom also was locked on device.

So I dont see any new or not usual system.

Old 22-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Ok, to stem the massive flood of posts following the fact you can only reactive once, I'll say this:

I appriciate it from sygics point of view, as its expensive and time consuming to introduce another method of protection. It is also the norm if you look at some other satnavs. In the case of Garmin, sygic is actually better, because at least you can transfer it to mass memory/another memory card.

However

Sygic must understand that even if this is an accepted policy, its going to lose them sales. Garmin has lost a huge amount due to being locked to memory card, and although you can transfer it once, with sygic your effectively in the same boat.

If you lose the memory card/phone due to damage, corruption or just lose it, thats sygic/Mcguider gone.

It also means that if you have moved it to another card - which is likely, many people have larger cards than 2GB - then when you want to upgrade card (or phone, if its internal memory), then again you lose sygic/mcguider.

Its for these reasons that you will lose sales.

Please take this as its meant, constructive critisim. I think you have a good product, but like them all, it does have shortfalls. Hopefully sygic can start looking into alternate forms of protection, since the current one isnt exactly doing its job, going by all the dodgy copies of sygic going around.

And...can you give me an ETA for the update? Since I have that postcode problem I cant really use Mcguider, so its a rather crucial update for me.

Last edited by bartmanekul; 22-05-2008 at 07:43 AM.

Old 22-05-2008, 08:40 AM

lovesign is on a distinguished road
^^^ Hear, Hear ^^^

I Hate People Who Take Drugs.....

Customs Men For Example

V 22.0.110
(Custom Version 22.0.110.C01.01)
11-06-10
RM-505
© Nokia N97

v 21.0.004
(Custom Version 21.0.004.209.03)