All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 04-02-2009, 09:01 PM

xury is on a distinguished road
I found another issue during navigation. The application informs me only 200 meters before the turn. On previous version I had more sound informations. I use polish voice pack.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:04 PM

Graeme_Simpson is on a distinguished road
Well the updated fix for 7.70 has now been released and has fixed the Custom POI problem, application works superb now.

Although a couple of issues that "SonyM" might want to comment on:-

The update shows that it is V7.70 (1467), yet once you have completed the update, and run the application and go to "About" this shows V7.70 (1458)

Is there anything you can do to the ABOUT to reflect the current version.

Also:-

If I make an entry and save it as a favorite. Then go into Manage POI - Delete POI - Select Favorite, I am then presented with a list of entries, if I select one to be deleted. McGuider reports as done, BUT, you go NAVIGATE TO - FAVORITE and the entry is STILL in the list.

Minor issue, but a little annoying.

If something can be done then great. Excellen work on the current update, application is superb with this now completed.

Thanks

G

Old 10-02-2009, 11:52 AM

sbc is on a distinguished road
A liiittle off topic, but still...

Sygic GPS for iPhone??? Of course I expect no details to be revealed here by Sonym, but I still wish your company the best of luck. If you get the go-ahead by Apple to release this, you have really made it!

http://sygic.com/external/newsletter...ain/index.html

Last edited by sbc; 10-02-2009 at 02:59 PM.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:50 PM

ThirdCat is on a distinguished road
May I ask two questions?

1. Where in the UK can I but McGuider Europe 2009? Expansys comes up on Google, but they seem t be saying it is on pre-order.

2. The iPhone news is brilliant! Are there any dates?

All the best,
TC

Old 12-02-2009, 06:13 AM

Graeme_Simpson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCat View Post
May I ask two questions?

1. Where in the UK can I but McGuider Europe 2009? Expansys comes up on Google, but they seem t be saying it is on pre-order.

All the best,
TC
The best place to buy it is through the www.mcguider.com web site, only took 2 days for mine to arrive, you can even have next day if you want.

Regarding the Iphone application, dont know much about that, I would guess that McGuider have to wait until Apple give the green light, reading in the various forums and mags, that could be some time yet.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 AM

scarymonkey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCat View Post
I would suggest going direct to TeleAtlas (this is what happens when you order from McGuider.com btw). You pay slightly more but they are the only place I know that currently has stock on the 2009 version
Quote:
My guess is the delay is due to Apple not agreeing to the launch, especially since the T&C for the phone OS seem to exclude satnavs if I have understood them correctly.

Vince

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 PM

ThirdCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme_Simpson View Post
The best place to buy it is through the www.mcguider.com web site ...
Thanks Graeme, just ordered ...

TC

Old 20-02-2009, 03:50 PM

Again a bit off-topic, but not too much off

Today a good turn-by-turn gps was released for the iPhone through App Store! This means that finally Apple is ready to accept this, as long as there is no voice guidance. I hope Sygic takes note of that and if their first attempt at app store is dismissed, just cut the voice, insert a beep or whatever instead when a turn is coming up and try again. Because you make really awesome software and the more money you earn, the more resources can be spent in development. Meaning that also the S60 version discussed here can get more attention and better support. So go for it, guys

Last edited by sbc; 26-02-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Old 25-02-2009, 09:10 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarymonkey View Post
I would suggest going direct to TeleAtlas (this is what happens when you order from McGuider.com btw). You pay slightly more but they are the only place I know that currently has stock on the 2009 version

My guess is the delay is due to Apple not agreeing to the launch, especially since the T&C for the phone OS seem to exclude satnavs if I have understood them correctly.

Vince
Thats right - the iPhone SDK explicitly prohibits development of turn-by-turn mapping applications, which is unbelievably bizarre for a device with on-board GPS!!!!

I believe TomTom had the same issues - basic app was developed but screwed by the SDK T&Cs.

Old 25-02-2009, 10:04 PM

sonym is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Sygic Mobile for iPhone

If you dont believe that it works on iPhone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyRly9fQi0

Still not on Applestore.

Old 26-02-2009, 12:55 PM

1. Congratulations!

2. Any chance of more high resoultion video?

3. Any chance of a video showing sharp turns?

4. How DOES the iPhone deal with sharp turns? In my experience the GPS is not quite up to the quality of the Nokia in speed/reaction time?

5. I'd buy this software the moment I get the chance. Even a prerelease/Cydia release or whatever. Just PM me

Old 27-02-2009, 09:12 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonym View Post
If you dont believe that it works on iPhone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JyRly9fQi0

Still not on Applestore.
I know its totally possible for such a product to be written for the iPhone, but the catch - as TomTom found, is that the SDK explicitly prohibits development of turn-by-turn mapping.

There's also the issue that the iPhone doesn't (currently) support background processing, so you can't have the GPS app running in the background whilst taking a call, or if you wanted to take a picture .... all features that Symbian has always allowed.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 PM

Heaven102 is on a distinguished road
So ... what's new in CeBit for Sygic ?

The picture present an iPhone, but announce a New version of Sygic 2009. Is it only for Apple, or a global new product ?
No GPS websites are presenting anything ...

Update on March 5th : a french website have met Sygic people in CeBit
http://gpsandco.com/news/2009-03-05/...e-dans-1-mois/

They talk about Sygic availibility on iPhone, Nokia 5800, Nokia N97, ... but not precise detail concerning the version dedicated to these models.
Moreover, even if the real new product is for iPhone platform, the current 7.7 is not mentionning on McGuider or Sygic websites a support for 5800 (ever sold) or N97.

Let's wait and see...

Last edited by Heaven102; 05-03-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:22 PM

sonym is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven102 View Post
So ... what's new in CeBit for Sygic ?

The picture present an iPhone, but announce a New version of Sygic 2009. Is it only for Apple, or a global new product ?
No GPS websites are presenting anything ...

Update on March 5th : a french website have met Sygic people in CeBit
http://gpsandco.com/news/2009-03-05/...e-dans-1-mois/

They talk about Sygic availibility on iPhone, Nokia 5800, Nokia N97, ... but not precise detail concerning the version dedicated to these models.
Moreover, even if the real new product is for iPhone platform, the current 7.7 is not mentionning on McGuider or Sygic websites a support for 5800 (ever sold) or N97.

Let's wait and see...
The Sygic Mobil 2009 will be/is available for all platforms ( Symbian, Touch Symbian (5800), Windows Mobile, and probably for UIQ ). If we will get green for applestore, then also for iPhone.
Price is still 79Eur.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:07 PM

Sonym,
You have any knowledge wether or not your company would consider selling the program via the brand new Cydia Store, if Apple completely rejects you?

Admin/MOD:
Very sorry for off topic and I respect if you yell at me for it, but it's the only way I know of to get direct info from Sygic. Besides, it's all that's happening in this thread right now
Ads