All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 07-02-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
It's S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2!

Just as we're about to get our hands on the first 3rd Edition Feature Pack 1 devices, Nokia go and announce S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2... In addition to ease-of-development benefits, this comes with "Usability enhancements supporting ease of use in (for example) messaging, multitasking and downloading. Feature Pack 2 also enables instant media playback during downloading and animated notification of inbound calls." The full press release follows....

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:18 AM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
I have taken a quick look at the S60 3rd edition FP2 specs on www.s60.com, looking with a developers slant. There are a few interesting additions, but also a couple of missing things.

First the extra's.

There's an extra softkey, which is situated in the middle of the screen, when it is in portrait mode. This makes S60 look more like UIQ 3.x. There are still screenshots without the extra softkey, so this is an optional extra.

There's a key to switch the screen between portrait and landscape mode. This will probably mean that apps that cannot run in landscape mode are going to have problem.

The recently announced PIPS libraries are known as "Open C" on S60. This is a set of standardized C libraries that are used in a lot of Open Source projects.

The S60 software stack has an interesting layout as well. At the base there is still Symbian OS, then there's middleware layer, then there are a number of runtime environments, including Symbian C++, Open C, Java, Flash, HTML/EcmaScript and other runtimes like Python (and in the future) Ruby. At the top is the S60 Scalable UI layer. This might mean that the look and feel of the platform is going to be much less dependent on the runtime environment as it used to do
What is also interesting is the separation of the lowest-level OS layer and the runtime environments. There has been some speculation about Nokia moving to Linux in some unspecified future. Separating the OS layer from the runtime environments is not going to make such a move harder. OTOH, this paper is clearly just an overview of S60 3rd edition, and a simplified software stack picture is good enough for such a paper.

What's missing:

There is no mention of supporting the Communicator-sized landscape screensizes. This indicates thet the much-rumoured "E90" is probably not a S60 3rd FP2 device.

There is also no mention of keyboard shortcuts, another indication that the "E90" (which uses shortcuts a lot) is not supported.
Ads

Old 07-02-2007, 09:59 AM

Al3xandr3 is on a distinguished road
the screen support that you talk about was already supported in FP1.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:32 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by svdwal View Post
The recently announced PIPS libraries are known as "Open C" on S60. This is a set of standardized C libraries that are used in a lot of Open Source projects.
Open C is a superset of PIPS (everything in PIPS and then some).

Old 07-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
"There is no mention of supporting the Communicator-sized landscape screensizes. This indicates thet the much-rumoured "E90" is probably not a S60 3rd FP2 device."

I think landscape (I assume you mean 640x240 HVGA rather than just 320x240 QVGA) screensizes can already be implemented on current S60 3rd Edition but just haven't been included in any models yet.

There was some talk last year on S60.com about what screensizes they supported, and they gave the impression that 3rd Edition already supports QVGA and HVGA (and I think they mentioned VGA too) because these were the most commonly used sizes by the companies that manufacture LCD screens. However it was up to the handset manufacturer to implement it, so for example Nokia departed from the S60 standards with the 5500 which had a 208x208 screensize.

Last edited by krisse; 07-02-2007 at 10:39 AM.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:46 PM

natanlevine is on a distinguished road
The feature that really got me excited was an advanced wallpaper functionality. Apparently on FP 2 you can have your wallpapers constantly changing through a selection from the gallery. This might not sound like much but i've been waiting for something like that since my first s40 phone. Is there any way to do this on normal 3rd edition?

Old 07-02-2007, 05:32 PM

svdwal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisse View Post
"
I think landscape (I assume you mean 640x240 HVGA rather than just 320x240 QVGA) screensizes can already be implemented on current S60 3rd Edition but just haven't been included in any models yet.

There was some talk last year on S60.com about what screensizes they supported, and they gave the impression that 3rd Edition already supports QVGA and HVGA (and I think they mentioned VGA too) because these were the most commonly used sizes by the companies that manufacture LCD screens. However it was up to the handset manufacturer to implement it, so for example Nokia departed from the S60 standards with the 5500 which had a 208x208 screensize.
I have been doing some experimenting with the S60 m3rd edition MR release emulator, but I cannot get a commie-style landscape mode to work. I added new epoc.ini's and edited wsini.ini. The emulator sees the extra ini file and it can switch to it and away from it, but I got one of the standard sizes, inside the commie epoc.bmp.

This doesn't say anything of course, but having a working emulator version of the "e90" would have been cool, and a good source of screenshots ;-)

Old 07-02-2007, 09:05 PM

darren.mac is on a distinguished road
So will it be possible for S60.v3 phones with FP1, to be able to upgrade to this new release via Nokia software updater?

Thanks,
Darren.mac

Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Extremely unlikely, or most likely not.

Old 19-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by N/A View Post
Extremely unlikely, or most likely not.
Why on earth not? Because users are so used to throwing away perfectly good hardware in a short period that they can get away with it, is my guess.

Old 20-04-2007, 05:10 PM

Cost (in providing such an upgrade, with little or no direct return for the effort).

Old 02-04-2008, 05:54 PM

Ben Frain is on a distinguished road
Just bringing this one pack from the dead...

Anyone think that providing feature pack 2 free (or at least make it possible) for existing feature pack 1 users might be a smart move by Nokia? Considering the positive news/buzz iPhone 2.0 software is likely to get in the coming months?

Or are the fiscal realities (licensing etc) such that it is not remotely possible? Just curious...

Old 23-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Unregistered

Text Messaging in S60 vs S40

I was one of those who booked the E75 two months back. The issue that prevented me from receiving it from the store is my problem with SMS messaging on the S60 based mobiles in general. On the other hand, I donít have that issue in the S40. Simply, S40 has the ability to let you send a text message to the most recent people youíve already sent a text message to. Besides, it allows you to also choose from the call log; recent contacts youíve called or received calls from. S60 does not have this, I assume this feature as a competitive powerful business feature.

You sometimes want to send a message to some colleague who just called you, and his colleague as well where youíll pick from the contact list, then to some other manager who just send you a message on the same subject. I use this feature a lot, at least 10 SMSís a day. Itís hectic to re-search all the contact list to add recipient while you can easily pick them from the menu in S40 based mobiles.

Does anyone know how to resolve this? Is there a specific solution, update or workaround?

Regards,
Stalwart
Edit/Delete Message

Old 28-04-2009, 06:27 PM

SHEIDSOFT.COM is on a distinguished road
The feature that really got me excited was an advanced wallpaper functionality. Apparently on FP 2 you can have your wallpapers constantly changing through a selection from the gallery. This might not sound like much but i've been waiting for something like that since my first s40 phone. Is there any way to do this on normal 3rd edition?

Old 28-04-2009, 10:37 PM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Messaging

@ Stalwart : From Call-Log you can make up a new message . In Standby-Screen , just press green Call-button and Call-Log displays > Choose Contact > Options > Make Message .
Fom Menu > Messaging > Choose Contact > Options > Make New Message , you can send a new SMS
☺ Regards jApi NL