All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 07-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
First S60 3rd Edition Freeware - SExplorer file explorer

Simon Judge, a freelance mobile developer, has released the first piece of (native) freeware for S60 3rd Edition. SExplorer (available in beta) is a file explorer utility. Features include the browsing of all drives (but not the folders protected by the Symbian 9 security model), creating, moving, and renaming of folders and files and opening files according to their file type.

Read on in the full article.

Old 07-04-2006, 06:18 PM

LordDeath is on a distinguished road
i don't see any security problems with symbian 7 and 8 and don't like this new behavior in symbian 9. if i could decide between a symbian 9 and a windows mobile device, i would choose the one with windows mobile even though i am a symbian fan.
does windows xp deny me the access to the system32 folder? no, and millions noobs out there can still use it...

Old 07-04-2006, 06:25 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
The security stuff may not be popular, but most people (i.e. non power users etc) wont notice. Software is going to be available very soon.

The security stuff while annoying in some ways is absolutely necessary for these devices to reach hundred of million (not just a few million). All the open platforms are going to do this, Symbian is juts the first. It's basically been mandated by the operators.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:06 PM

steff2632 is on a distinguished road
so the new security stuff is so that symbian & nokia ( & all other included in symbian) can sell more units to more customers without them complaining??

also the operators are demanding this aswel so they can push the higher priced devices to less techie people??

Old 08-04-2006, 03:32 AM

lithgow is on a distinguished road
Benefits of security model

steff2632 said: "so the new security stuff is so that symbian & nokia ( & all other included in symbian) can sell more units to more customers without them complaining??"

No, the new security stuff is to control the rampant piracy and malware that destroys profits for ISV's (Independant Software Vendors) and trust in software for consumers.

MS is between a rock and a hard place here. Their stranglehold on the market depends upon (perceived) backward compatibility, and yet their market place can never grow into the open plainlands of true consumer goods without a break with backward compatibility (and that has become part of the MS culture, so it's very hard to change). People tolerate a lot more instability from their PCs than they ever will from something more mission-critical, like a phone or even, bizarrely enough, a DVD player.

Symbian wants their platform to straddle both the openness of desktop/laptop PCs, and the effortless reliability of consumer electronics. These security measures, and the attendant break in backwards compatibliity, are a necessary part of that, and I applaud Symbian for their clarity of vision and courage. (And I'm one of the people affected by it: an ISV.)

Old 08-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Administrator

langdona is on a distinguished road
I think the new security is a good thing, its all about protecting the end user and subsequently any networks the end user connects too. This is very important for the corporate market even for people connecting ther own private devices to the companies network. I think will become a problem for Microsoft Mobile OS's unless they get their act together soon.

I dont mind about security as long as I can copy any information to and from the device, even if it is only to designated areas. As long as the media software will allow playing of any standard files I think things will be OK. My fear is that at some stage they will try to make them only play files protected by DRM but in the long term DRM is be pointless as it will always be cracked.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:17 AM

N/A is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by langdona
My fear is that at some stage they will try to make them only play files protected by DRM
I wouldn't fear something like that from either Symbian or device manufacturers. Operators might try, but hopefully not many, and the market will educate them.

Old 10-04-2006, 05:23 PM

SimonJudge is on a distinguished road
I have just updated SExplorer (to 0.8) to show the correct icon and fix a problem some people were having when installing to card/hdd.

http://simonjudge.com/symbianseries603rdfreeware.html

Simon

Old 20-01-2007, 02:42 PM
unregistered

can't open sys folder. it shows some security problem.
Ads

Old 18-10-2007, 11:53 AM
AlexD

No icon

Hi,
I'm using Sexplorer on nokia E61i.No icon is shown

Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 AM
Unregistered

Unhappy sexplorer

it is imposible to instal this program into mi e51 says expired certificate whi?

Old 22-02-2010, 08:48 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up cirtificate issue solution..

if u receive cirtificate error, please go to settings and backdate ur handset to 1 year or 2.. Thn try to install the application.