All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 15-05-2009, 12:26 PM

ffcphone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurphboy View Post
I updated over the air and have a real issue. The Active Standby screen never fully appears. Instead, it starts to display the shortcut icons at the top and gets as far as showing my appointments before the screen blanks and it trys to display the active standby screen all over again. This occurs even if you press menu or open the camera shutter.

I can make and receive calls but otherwise its not possible to send messages, email or use any applications. I've tried reflashing it from NSU which installed the new version again and I've tried a factory reset but the same problem recurs.

Can anybody help???

Thanks.
Have you installed any software which autoloads or partly loads on startup? The reason I ask is that I have SymSMB which allows me to access my network drives over WiFi to stream MP3 but I notice on N85 boot-up, SymSMB quickly loads something up before home screen comes on permanently. It maybe you have something loading up which is incompatible with the new firmware.

F

Old 15-05-2009, 12:38 PM

Couple of other things spotted.

1. Is it just me or does the keypad backlight now remain on much longer than before? Numerous times previously I found the two soft keys, for example, would time out fairly quickly and I would often need to press them twice, once to "activate" and once to actually select.

2. I'm still getting issues in the tools -> settings menu. The menu sometimes exits during build up if you try and scroll or select whilst the options are being populated.

As for "turning control" you need to turn your phone from screen up to screen down to make it work. I spent ages this morning rotating the phone with the screen still upwards and nothing happened. But turn the whole thing over and it does work!

F
Ads

Old 15-05-2009, 01:13 PM

imation_nz is on a distinguished road
some info

Well i was having problems with lock code as it locked itself byitself very strange.

i did the format with pressing the *, 3 and Green while turning it on and it rebooted to factory settings. it did a better reset than the normal *#7370# i always found it kept things in memory doing it that way.

so if you are having problems do the *, 3 thing and reformat the memory card.

and also i was able to reset my lock code so thank god about that

I am running the new update and its good.

Seems faster can handle effects better with themes

When typing lock code it does show what you are typing for a split second - oh well.

Some of the new things on home screen are o.k just fills up the screen more depends on what you like . you can always remove the email and net phone.

Gallery is working great in old version i found the boxes at the bottom were always in error but now working great. Faster too.

Camera seems to work o.k have not tested in good light.

also 1 thing i did find when i did the full reboot is that ngage was not included in the upgrade so i needed to download it again, which was easy.

also seems to handle ram better but will keep a eye on this.

Well there is my 2 cents.

Can't wait for the N97 hopefully it will be better

Old 15-05-2009, 01:37 PM

Smurphboy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffcphone View Post
Have you installed any software which autoloads or partly loads on startup? The reason I ask is that I have SymSMB which allows me to access my network drives over WiFi to stream MP3 but I notice on N85 boot-up, SymSMB quickly loads something up before home screen comes on permanently. It maybe you have something loading up which is incompatible with the new firmware.

F
Could be the case. That would explain the behaviour - it does look like it is trying to load something and keeps failing and retrying. Don't think I've got anything that autoloads though. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Thanks

Old 15-05-2009, 02:08 PM

Smurphboy is on a distinguished road
sorted

Thanks - I had a the new version of Nokia Email and removing it solved the problem. Thanks for the help

Old 15-05-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuhSnarf View Post
The phone now FINALLY remembers your voicemail number! w00!
Do you want to check that again. Mine won't remember it. Grrr

F

Old 15-05-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurphboy View Post
Thanks - I had a the new version of Nokia Email and removing it solved the problem. Thanks for the help
Glad it sorted. Not sure if new firmware includes Nokia Email.

F

Old 15-05-2009, 10:55 PM

BuhSnarf is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Do you want to check that again. Mine won't remember it. Grrr

F
you're right, this is still not working. Worked for that one time, then forgot it again once I'd rebooted. How can this simple feature not work?

Old 16-05-2009, 12:35 AM

car_guy143 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Glad it sorted. Not sure if new firmware includes Nokia Email.

F
Yes the phone firmware includes an installation file to install Nokia Email aka Nokia Messaging. The firmware doesn't install Nokia Email though, you have the option to install it if you go into the message settings to create a new email account. You don't have to install it though, you can carry on using the normal nokia email program from the messaging menu.

Old 16-05-2009, 05:43 AM

bertolt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seki View Post
still camera in silent mode

video seems to have some extra options .. (maybe they were there in the old version but the N85 wasn't as good as the 95 for video capture so I never used it.)
manual LED light on
Add tags etc
upload to internet

.. there's likely more .. but thats all I had time for .. might try it in low light video capture to compare with the N95

who knows I might finally be able to say goodbye to must trusty friend!
what do u mean 'still camera in silent mode' ??? is the shutter sound gone in silent mode?

these video options u mentioned were there in older versions.

Old 16-05-2009, 08:19 AM

I have updated and all going well.

Can someone please test this for me please

Can you please try to play a MP4 Movies and tell me if your lights turn off.

Mine are staying on all the time. and i would belive it would waste batt :(

Old 16-05-2009, 09:10 AM

bertolt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by imation_nz View Post
I have updated and all going well.

Can someone please test this for me please

Can you please try to play a MP4 Movies and tell me if your lights turn off.

Mine are staying on all the time. and i would belive it would waste batt :(
the keypad lights turns off, but the control lights stay. not only for MP4 but for other type as well.

Old 16-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Mine is only staying on when playing movies.

Can anyone else test please or i might need to flash again :(

Old 16-05-2009, 10:01 AM

AreEm206 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

The reason it displays your lock code input briefly is because like the Nokia 5800 they've now enabled Alphanumeric lock codes.

Press # and start typing letters! Very strange thing to do after all this time...

Old 16-05-2009, 09:11 PM

Moggymog is on a distinguished road
Have updated this morning and so far I'm fairly happy with the firmware. But can anyone tell me, why can't Nokia sort the call log out? It shows all the calls made/received but not whether they were made to/from a mobile or home phone etc. It would seem a fairly simple problem to sort but it will probably take them another 6 months to fix!!!