All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 06-01-2011, 11:39 AM

SWR is on a distinguished road
N8 Black Screen

My N8 has since yesterday only a black screen and reacts to nothing. I tried a number of times a long press on the power button, with the 3 buzzes as reaction but still no screen display. Before I try a four finger salute, I want to know if anybody has any other hints. I used it for a quick internet search in the morning, shut Opera, locked the screen and put it away in my pocket. When I took it out again 2 hours later, nothing.
I downloaded the new Ovi last night and after a few tries managed to get the N8 recognised and synced most things (just a few failures as I cannot get onto my home office server for Outlook, but that's not a major problem). So under the screen, the processors and memory elements are working, I just can't see anything. Any tips, anybody?
I have noticed that since I did a backup on a new memory stick (to test the USB on the go) my screen would lose its setting (Nokia bronze) and go to a white theme almost every time I connected the USB charger. Something new, I'd not had before. Almost as if it was looking for USB on the go and was stopping use of the memory card and the mass storage. Possibly related???
Thanks, Steve

Last edited by SWR; 06-01-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:23 PM

seki is on a distinguished road
try these things first

1. is the device recognised by ovi suite when you plug it in via the USB cable?

if it does - try reflashing the firmware ..

2. does the power light show when you have it plugged in?

if it doesn't then you have the power problem .. you'll need a replacement

Good Luck!

Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 PM

N8 Black Screen

Seki,
thanks for the reply. Yes Ovi recognises it - sometimes. Other times I can only connect in mass storage mode, where I can explore all the drives. I managed to do a partial sync yesterday, but it didn't pick up all of my contacts. It did sync my messages. I'm not too bothered about my calendar at the moment, I can fall back on my other phones and my work computer (only had the N8 for a few weeks, so no appointments mad which I can't remember and put on my old phone). Because it's a bit hit and miss, I'm not confident about re-flashing, just in case it drops out half way.
The power light does come on. I have since done a four finger salute, but it hasn't helped. I do get a bleep when I press the menu button and I feel a vibration when I touch the lower part of the screen, but I've no idea what was on the screen or what it meant.
Steve

Old 06-01-2011, 09:07 PM

phessler is on a distinguished road
what happens if you try to plug the phone into a television or something?

Old 07-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Black Screen N8

I suspect it will play as I can also look into the phone via USB, but I plan to check that out this weekend. I'll report back.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:55 AM

N8 Black Screen

Finally gave up after many attempts and brought the phone back to the shop. It will be sent back to Nokia. I hope that they replace or repair it without too much fuss. I tried to re-install the firmware yesterday, but that needs a SIM card and a SIM card needs a code, which in turn needs a working screen! I felt some buzzes from the screen which maxed out the attempts and needed the PUK code to unlock it (saw it when I put it in another phone). Then I tried setting it to no security with the other phone and then using it in the N8. Again, got stopped in Ovi with the "No SIM" message. Strange that Ovi needs it to have a SIM card for this. Ovi and thereby the phone are connected to internet throughout the operation in order to download the firmware. Something for Nokia to look at, maybe?

Last edited by SWR; 09-01-2011 at 12:59 AM.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:35 AM

nbriscoeuk is on a distinguished road
N8 black screen

One of the reasons Ovi uses the SIM is that when you move that from phone to phone, it will recognise it as your sim. Certainly when I ran Ovi for the first time, it recognised me by my Ovi username, leaving me to only have to enter the password.

Regards
Neil
Ads

Old 12-09-2011, 10:56 AM

gustokonyan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWR View Post
Finally gave up after many attempts and brought the phone back to the shop. It will be sent back to Nokia. I hope that they replace or repair it without too much fuss. I tried to re-install the firmware yesterday, but that needs a SIM card and a SIM card needs a code, which in turn needs a working screen! I felt some buzzes from the screen which maxed out the attempts and needed the PUK code to unlock it (saw it when I put it in another phone). Then I tried setting it to no security with the other phone and then using it in the N8. Again, got stopped in Ovi with the "No SIM" message. Strange that Ovi needs it to have a SIM card for this. Ovi and thereby the phone are connected to internet throughout the operation in order to download the firmware. Something for Nokia to look at, maybe?
i may be having the same problem. any updates SWR ? thanks!