All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 09-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
T9 beats qwerty...

At least it does for Rita El Khoury, who's written a most insightful and passionate article about the advantages of T9-style predictive typing over and above qwerty thumb keyboards and other software-based input systems. Well worth a read.

Read on in the full article.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:21 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
I do agree with her. I am much more comfortable with T9 when it comes to mobile devices. Sure, QWERTY keyboards are fast, but for me they are fast only when the keyboard is resting on a desk and I am using multiple fingers, not when its in my hand and I am using my thumb. For my thumbs, T9 is much faster.

I just have one complain with T9. On my nseries device, over a period of time, it automatically changes the suggested word when I key in a combination of keys, something that I do not want in many cases (e.g. for some reason 'much' comes as 'ouch' when i type it. I have no idea why). But I guess this is something very small and is part of nothing been perfect.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:40 AM

ares is on a distinguished road
lol...what a joke...try using instant messengers on the phone with the T9, and then with a good qwerty...no contest! i normally end up having to wait for the other person to write, if he his using a normal phone keypad, while i just bombard him with text

t9 can be better for one handed operation and quick smal sms, but for stuff like IM , Email, Office docs...you know, true smartphone stuff...you gotta be kidding...

note: no need for resting the phone on a desk, if the phone is not heavy

Old 09-04-2008, 09:08 AM
foolio

T9 is better.. but!

i agree T9 IS better. i am a qwerty e61 user since 2005 and although i have learned to adapt, i do think that my T9 text input tool on my 6682 was waaay more practical und easier/faster to type.

the problem i alwasy had: after a certain time it always errased the saved suggestions i had done which would force me to save them all over again, that was annoying and the reason why i switched.

that could be something that they may have fixed.. i don't know! did they???

Old 09-04-2008, 09:20 AM

malerocks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares View Post
lol...what a joke...try using instant messengers on the phone with the T9, and then with a good qwerty...no contest! i normally end up having to wait for the other person to write, if he his using a normal phone keypad, while i just bombard him with text
Well, I do all of email, sms, IM on my phone too, and am pretty fast in typing responses using T9. Probably the people you chat to on IM are not fluent in using T9 or are one of those few people who still use the keypad in the traditional way i.e. multiple keypresses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares View Post
note: no need for resting the phone on a desk, if the phone is not heavy
I never said there is a need to. What I said that FOR ME, typing on a QWERTY is faster when I use all my fingers. I dont see how I can do that unless the keyboard is resting on a desk. Now I am not in an Alladin movie where the QWERTY phone is just going to magically float in front of me while I am on the move, allowing me to use both my hands and all my fingers for faster typing.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Guess Who

T9 is maybe fast - until you want to enter words not in the dictionary. Then blood, sweat and tears.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Unregistered

Qwerty Vs. T9

On average I send around 200 messages per day, be that sms or e-mail via blackberry.
I always had communicator and a "spare" phone. Currently E90 and E61i.
I have to say, NOTHING beats keyboard.

For a simple reason - I am landing from London, flight BA055, arrival at 06h55 on Changi airport.
If I have to send that sms to my driver combination of numbers and letters is making typing very difficult using T9. Let's go to email - where I have to say hello to my friend Vankatesh Baby from Bangalore and to approve our order of 11 *insert famous indian word here* and greet his wife, lovely Dragica from Russia. It would take me a long, long time to compile anything like that on phone loaded with T9. Communicator style, just open and type. Not to mention if my French girlfriend insists on us sms-ing each other in French only.

Granted, you will think this is extreme case, however, for people who are using this phones as business tools this scenario is quite real. For me, predictive text input just does not cut it.

Alex

Old 09-04-2008, 10:53 AM

Terry1100 is on a distinguished road
If I was cabable of (and prepared to) write in TXT SPK then I don't doubt that T9 and multitap is quite useful - and fast.

However, I am over the age of 15 and I will aways write SMS messages and E-mails in properly formatted, gramatically correct properly spelt English (typos excepted).

For that (for me at least), the E90's (and the E70's before that) QWERTY is indispensible.

I am Chair of Governors at a School and the Head Teacher sends me text messages fairly regularly (she has teenage daughters and is an adept texter). However, at least once a week I have to phone her back as I don't understand what she has written.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 AM

sturgeon is on a distinguished road
@Terry1100, from your post it is clear that you don't know what you are doing with T9 and can't possibly have given it a fair trial.

TXT SPK indeed!

s.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 AM

Probably true - there is a comfort factor in having a"proper" keyboard and not having to learn anything new.

When I get a quiet moment I'll re-investigate. For now I'm stuck in the "how do I turn of this $$%%^$%"" predictive text mindset" that I acquired some time ago.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Dr Who

Personally, couldn't agree less. Keyboard is much easier, and I have never used it flat on a table with all fingers, only 'in the air' with thumbs. T9 can be faster sometimes, possibly for writing a text, but I would still take a keyboard every time and for me it is much faster when writing an email, for instance.

Old 09-04-2008, 12:39 PM

tomsky is on a distinguished road
Heh, I like Rita's reasons for liking it, and I tend to agree. When I first discovered T9 (way back in 3310 days - I remember phones, not years!) suddenly I could type a normal sentence without my thumbs aching and a terrible fear of arthritic thumbs in later life.

Then keypads started getting smaller... and after wrestling with the N73 for ages (the space at the bottom of the phone was big enough for the keypad I wanted, but the keys were minuscule) I thought an E90 would solve my problems. Qwerty does make firing off long texts faster, but for short ones, and texts on the go, T9 is faster. Ironically, my dad struggles on with T9 while I bemoan the false promise of qwerty. He usually resorts to phoning me back rather than sending a quick text, which really throws me off guard sometimes.

Which brings me back to my point, really - T9 is for sms - ~160 characters to say something simple, and qwerty is for emails, where some formality is required. Now if I can only find a few more people who wanted emailing, I could justify the expense of the E90...

Tom

Old 09-04-2008, 01:07 PM

davidmaxwaterma is on a distinguished road
t68i

I preferred the t9 on my old sony erricson t68i. I forget all the reasons, but the one that comes to mind is the automatic capitalising of words such as 'I' - t9 on s60 doesn't capitalise it. It's a small thing, but I noticed it.
Ads

Old 09-04-2008, 01:33 PM

OK, just to prove what a luddite I really am (and that I haven't got the manual with me at work), how do you turn on T9 on an E90?

Old 09-04-2008, 01:53 PM

OK, I found it.

And turned it off again 10 seconds later - life's to short.

For test purposes I tried to type

"Shall we go to the showroom in the afternoon tomorrow"

OK, once you get past the fact that it's all "wrong" until you've got to the end of the word, I'll admit it's quite clever - but if you want "go", you'll get "in" - what happens next time when you want "in" if you've told it that 46 is "go"

For me, I'll stick to the QWERTY thanks - if I didn't need that I'd probably have bought an N95.