All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-04-2003, 12:51 AM

headshox is on a distinguished road
Free HTML internet on Orange

Ok here is something really quite bizzare yet amazing for Orange customers.

Open up the built in browser (havent tried it with Opera yet) and make SURE it connects to 'Orange GPRS Wap' (the one thats free with the Access Pack) now send the browser to this site http://www.allaboutsymbian.com, bingo, it loads. Try almost any other HTML site, they all work!

Too good to be true? nope! check your GPRS logs, all the data goes on the GPRS Wap account meaning you won't get charged for it!!

I'm in mobile internet heaven.

Old 10-04-2003, 04:47 AM

Free browsing

While it would be fantastic if true, i think that the free WAP deal applies only to standard dial-up WAP over the GSM network.
Wait til you get your phone bill and report back :-?

Old 10-04-2003, 05:38 AM
ivansergei

U won't get extrea-charged!
Its the same on Orange Romania! 4$/month wap unlimited GPRS...
and u can load many HTML sites.
Mobile heaven,indeed!

Old 10-04-2003, 07:25 AM

have anyone try using opera when the phone is on the cradle and connected to boardband, wow, the speed is unbelievable.
any blue tooth device available to do the same job?

Old 10-04-2003, 07:29 AM

if possible, it can replace the wireless lan

Old 10-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Administrator

J2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud ofJ2theIZZO has much to be proud of
Re: Free HTML internet on Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshox
Ok here is something really quite bizzare yet amazing for Orange customers.

Open up the built in browser (havent tried it with Opera yet) and make SURE it connects to 'Orange GPRS Wap' (the one thats free with the Access Pack) now send the browser to this site http://www.allaboutsymbian.com, bingo, it loads. Try almost any other HTML site, they all work!

Too good to be true? nope! check your GPRS logs, all the data goes on the GPRS Wap account meaning you won't get charged for it!!

I'm in mobile internet heaven.
This is because the standard browser uses a WAP gateway not an Internet Gateway, try using your internet setting with the standard browser, it won't work.

Opera uses an Internet gateway so you WAP settings won't work for HTML.

Old 10-04-2003, 08:41 AM

oferlaor is on a distinguished road
I thought everyone knew this...

The only downside is that Opera doesn't support the WAP gateway :(

If it had, I'd have gotten just WAP GPRS (it's unlimited bandwidth at no cost here!).

BTW, through the WAP gateway, it's VERY VERY slow.

Old 10-04-2003, 11:08 AM

ThebigN is on a distinguished road
sorry guys I am really confused!! I also have GPRS WAP on orange what is the difference between that and just normal GPRS. I spent 60 last month surfing the net!!!!

Old 10-04-2003, 06:45 PM

Well I can put up with the built in browser given that its saving me around 25 a month, the only sites I use on the move really are this one and The Register which both work through the WAP gateway.

I only use full GPRS for e-mail.

So I end up paying about 7 a month for all my internet needs.

Old 10-04-2003, 08:40 PM

craigc is on a distinguished road
so does the built-in browser automatically connect using GPRS-wap ? It doesn't allow me to choose which connection I want ...

c

Old 10-04-2003, 10:38 PM

Shimmyhill is on a distinguished road
so lets get this right !

If im on built in browser and i put a www in, aslong as the page can go thru a wap proxy type its free ??

If its html it will not load so its still free ??

Am i right ?

I always wondered why it only ever connects on gprs-wap whereas my m8's unlocked phone asks him !!

If so im really happy !

BTW can i get hotmail email for free anyhow (i pay gprs for my imap mail)

Old 12-04-2003, 11:24 PM

OK, people seem to be getting confused.
This only applies if you have the Orange GPRS Access Pack which you pay 4 a month for and get free GPRS access through a WAP gateway.

Normally this would only allow you to view boring old wap pages, but for some reason the WAP gateway allows some HTML sites to be viewed (most importantly this one!).

TO use Orange GPRS Wap first you need to phone Orange on 152 and activate the package. Then they will send you a sim update SMS which will install the Orange GPRS Wap access profile. You can then make the internal browser use this connection by going Browser->Edit->Preferences and set the WAP account 'to Orange GPRS WAP'.

Old 13-04-2003, 10:05 AM

Another good one to view through the WAP is http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/p800.php
It's another useful site to keep up to date on all things P800 - I'm on Orange too, so I sat in the car reading yesterday whilst my GF was doing some archery...

I've just ordered one of the BlueDSL routers, which as well as ethernet & USB can broadcast via Bluetooth. This isn't guaranteed to work with the P800, but since it's not very expensive I thought it was worth a try. (124 inc. VAT, Delivery and a USB 1.1 Dongle in the box for my TiBook)
I'll let folks know the results when it's up and running. :P
Ads