All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 26-03-2010, 08:25 AM

ironass is on a distinguished road
Optimising the N97: Phones Show

For anyone struggling with crashes or freezes on the N97 this latest version of the Phones Show (no: 106) hosted by Steve Litchfield is a must.

In the first third of the video (about 5.5 mins.) he runs through 10 ways of optimising the N97 for peak performance.

Whilst I cannot claim that I follow every one of his suggestions religiously, I do adhere to at least 8 of his tips and find very few problems with my handset.

I once posed the question in a posting... "Are there two versions of the N97 (classic)" as it seemed there were those, like myself, who experienced hardly any problems and on the other hand there are those who are continually getting a variety of problems with crashes, freezes, app. closures, etc:

It would seem from this, and other forums, that those who monitor their RAM and C: drive and are judicious about the app's (particularly the ones that run in the background eating RAM silently) and themes they place on their handsets are less likely to get these problems.

Either way, this is an interesting video that may help some of you.
See here:-

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/sshow/ss106.html

Old 26-03-2010, 02:17 PM

MonarchX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironass View Post
For anyone struggling with crashes or freezes on the N97 this latest version of the Phones Show (no: 106) hosted by Steve Litchfield is a must.

In the first third of the video (about 5.5 mins.) he runs through 10 ways of optimising the N97 for peak performance.

Whilst I cannot claim that I follow every one of his suggestions religiously, I do adhere to at least 8 of his tips and find very few problems with my handset.

I once posed the question in a posting... "Are there two versions of the N97 (classic)" as it seemed there were those, like myself, who experienced hardly any problems and on the other hand there are those who are continually getting a variety of problems with crashes, freezes, app. closures, etc:

It would seem from this, and other forums, that those who monitor their RAM and C: drive and are judicious about the app's (particularly the ones that run in the background eating RAM silently) and themes they place on their handsets are less likely to get these problems.

Either way, this is an interesting video that may help some of you.
See here:-

http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/sshow/ss106.html
Could you post all the tips?

I heard his tips are "turn off as much as you can - it sucks RAM"
Ads

Old 26-03-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post
Could you post all the tips?

I heard his tips are "turn off as much as you can - it sucks RAM"
Would it not be just as easy to watch the video?

I will post a "How to" if there is a demand for a step-by-step guide on RAM/C: conservation.

Old 26-03-2010, 03:54 PM

zxon is on a distinguished road
Watched the video. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but at least now I know what I'm doing is right.

www.andrew-irvine.co.uk
Please support my suggestion for Gravity!! - Add cut/copy/paste for when N97 is open

Old 26-03-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxon View Post
Watched the video. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but at least now I know what I'm doing is right.
That's how I viewed it to.

It just served to reinforce that the steps I've taken and the set-up that I have are optimal for the handset.