All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Series 60

Old 05-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Pizero's Earth theme downloaded 1 million times from Ovi Store

Pizero's Earth theme has been downloaded more than one million times from the Ovi Store. Earth is an artistic and light weight theme (default icons) with full support for portrait and landscape orientations and is compatible with both S60 3rd Edition and S60 5th Edition devices. The one million downloads were achieved in 86 days, with an average of 11,600 downloads a day.

Read on in the full article.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:13 PM
Unregistered

Before that pedant starts on the typos, I've seen it already, no big deal I know what he meant.

This is the one and only them that I downloaded and kept. Looks really good on a black 5800 and a lot of people comment on it.

Not bad work Symbian owners managing to get 1 million downloads from an "unusable" ovi store.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Unregistered

I'm also using it, looks nice and doesn't have annoyances as some other 3rd party themes. I installed it from somewhere else than OVI though. And OVI has always worked when I've used it so I don't understand the complaints about it at all.
Ads

Old 05-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Unregistered

Cool Image in he charged for it

Should've charged 50 cents U.S. for the theme vs giving it away. Would've made a very nice profit for building something in his free time!

Old 06-05-2010, 01:45 AM
Unregistered

This free theme helped pizero get popular, so it's a smart move to the theme maker. =)

Another note is this download record also answer doubts on the earlier shazam's downloads on Ovi before.

We'll see how Nokia play out in the next few months, Ovi is looking to be better than n-gage at the moment... but we'll see... =)

Old 06-05-2010, 03:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm also using it, looks nice and doesn't have annoyances as some other 3rd party themes. I installed it from somewhere else than OVI though. And OVI has always worked when I've used it so I don't understand the complaints about it at all.
The haters complaint primarily for its looks (it's probably the same people who disses Symbian because its UI is less fancy). Looks is "important" to many people. Secondly, they complaint because of the content, which might be true.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:20 AM

Nemoi is on a distinguished road
Though these numbers are encouraging, as a regular user I feel there are still at least two significant problems left in ovi store:

- No upgrade process. You dont even know when an application is updated, and even if you do know, you first have to uninstall and then redownload via ovi store.
- No download/management via ovi suite, which would make browsing and exploring much easier.

I think if they can fix these two, the store will get another growth boost. A third more structural one is that as far as I heard, due to operator billing ovi store is not as financially attractive to developers, which might be a reason for a lack of enthusiasm on their part.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Founder / Chief

Rafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of lightRafe is a glorious beacon of light
Nemoi - I'd agree with those. I think you can also add in things like an option for in-app billing (i.e. for both micro payments and for allowing demo versions more easily). I'd also add in subscription billing... thinking about it the payment engine needs more flexibility in general.

There's a couple of others too - around discovery and external linking. I've actually got a list in draft as I want to do a retrospective shortly.