All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Links of Interest

Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 PM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
@ clonmult . The older LCD's are using CCFL type of lights . Normally with a constant light beam . With LED , backlight and edge , it is possible to dim the light on dark sides of the page . However not all LED screens are provided with this tech . The advantage is clear : darker spots , where the actual color is black or dark colored . This could explain also some energy saving . The scheme in Steve's article just shows two different screens . This is limiting drawing a general conclusions about screens , but for sure interesting .

Regards jApi NL
You haven't actually answered my question though, and have got OLEDs confused with "LED" TVs.

LED TVs do have a different backlighting technology to traditional LCD screens, but OLEDs don't have a backlight - its individual pixels that are turned on and off, and have their "own" individual lighting.

Totally explains why an OLED set to a black screen uses less juice (it also explains why the clock screensaver on the N85 looked so damn good).

Still doesn't explain why an older LCD, with constant backlight, would use less juice when set to a black screen, as the CCFL would be pumping out the same amount of light continually, just being filtered out as completely as the LCD shutters will allow.

Its just interesting
Ads

Old 08-06-2010, 07:25 AM
chip_mk

Does it mean that OLED screens are actually less efficient for internet browsing since web pages very often have white background (e.g. AAS)? Itís quite an issue in my opinion since I spend much more time reading web pages than staring at the homescreen.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:48 AM

jApi NL is on a distinguished road
Smile Oled - led

@clonmult .
Yes , of course (AM)OLED screens don't use backlights . The screen itself is the light-emitter . So black is black one could say , and also uses almost NO energy , when black .
LED screens are backlit , but have different features . Some do have the lights always ON on maximum , or can be dimmed by the user .
The more advanced backlit LED screens are dimming automatically on dark spots of the open page . This explains less energy used with a dark theme . I think the example used in the article is such a screen .

@chip-mk . The theme of AAS can be set on the bottum left :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=92316

Regards jApi NL

Old 08-06-2010, 11:55 AM

clonmult is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jApi NL View Post
@clonmult .
Yes , of course (AM)OLED screens don't use backlights . The screen itself is the light-emitter . So black is black one could say , and also uses almost NO energy , when black .
LED screens are backlit , but have different features . Some do have the lights always ON on maximum , or can be dimmed by the user .
The more advanced backlit LED screens are dimming automatically on dark spots of the open page . This explains less energy used with a dark theme . I think the example used in the article is such a screen .

@chip-mk . The theme of AAS can be set on the bottum left :
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=92316

Regards jApi NL
What we're talking about here though is in a constant hardware state, the only change being the background, that on a traditional (not advanced, LCD backlit) LCD display thats definitely not advanced, battery life is improved with a darker backdrop.

Its still not explained in the slightest. i see where you're coming from, but you're describing features that just aren't there on cheapo Nokia smartphones.

Ah well, time to swap from the i8910 theme (nice and bright) to something more sombre

Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy

pity this page is mostly white

Old 08-06-2010, 06:19 PM

Hurlley is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chip_mk View Post
Does it mean that OLED screens are actually less efficient for internet browsing since web pages very often have white background (e.g. AAS)? Itís quite an issue in my opinion since I spend much more time reading web pages than staring at the homescreen.
+1, this is just great news, pretty much makes OLED useless on phones then, hard to see in daylight and uses more power!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:24 PM

buster is on a distinguished road
That's a bit harsh. The only time the OLED screen overtakes the TFT is when displaying an almost uniformly blank screen; in most cases it consumes less. Also, it's not entirely clear how the brightness level affects the consumption; it's all very well comparing two different screen technologies when both are run at full brightness, but if the average brightness needed in real use is much lower for one technology than the other, this also affects the battery life one can expect to see...

Regarding OLED screens and sunlight; these new Super-OLED screens (or however they're called) do seem to be a bit better in this respect...

Old 09-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Unregistered

Cabc

How darker images can use less power with LCDs

http://www.ecnmag.com/Articles/2010/...light-control/

Old 18-06-2010, 03:25 AM
Unregistered

MOV Converter for Mac is specially designed for Mac OS X users which can convert various video and audio formats to MOV with just a few clicks, including avi, flv, 3gp, mp4, mpg, 3gp, mov, m4v, ts, tp, trp, mts, m2ts, tp, mkv, mod, asf, mp3, mka, wav, wma, mp2, jpg, bmp, ect.
In addition, you can customize watermark at will, such as set image watermark, text watermark, ect.
Category:
AVI to MOV Converter for Mac
FLV to MOV Converter for Mac
DIVX to MOV Converter for Mac
DVD to MOV Converter for Mac
MP4 to MOV Converter for Mac
M4V to VOB Converter for Mac
MPG to MOV Converter for Mac
WMV to MOV Converter for Mac
VOB to MOV Converter for Mac