All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 21-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Administrator

slitchfield is on a distinguished road
Music Down Under

Nokia just announced that their Music Store is now available in Australia. Cool. But there's a big music-related announcement in London tomorrow (Tuesday) - so there's much more to come. I'm betting on the release of a new PC music client, as demoed at Go:Play. Any takers for that bet?

Read on in the full article.

Old 21-04-2008, 10:20 PM

Wolfcat is on a distinguished road
“Nokia Music does not currently support the Mozilla Firefox browser on your operating system”

Thus I am not going to be using it... end of story.

Old 22-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Same here wolfcat. I won't be using it until I get Firefox support.

I'm not using IE just for one site.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Old 22-04-2008, 01:24 AM

viipottaja is on a distinguished road
Boohoo. Get over it. IE is the market leader, Firefox can easily wait.

Anyhoo, excellent to see Music Store being rolled into more and more countries. Can't wait it become available in the US too.

Old 22-04-2008, 01:43 AM

Wolfcat is on a distinguished road
I think it is not just a case of getting over it.... i think it would be really interesting to see the % of firefox users that are high end nokia users. I think you might find that it will even out the "browser" percentage..... Given that most high end tech sites have a higher firefox percentage than the rest of the web anyway..

And in europe firefox is at around 30%, that is a big number to ignore...
http://www.techworld.com/application...m?newsid=11271

Old 22-04-2008, 02:26 AM

rcadden is on a distinguished road
Guys, IE Tab is a firefox plugin and it works fine with the music store. I used it when the UK store was launched and it's no problem, really. Look past the initial issue.

As to the post, I for one would LOVE to see the Nokia Desktop music client, but I'm not sure I'd put any money on it.

Old 22-04-2008, 08:51 AM

cirrus is on a distinguished road
IE Tab...

IE Tab's all well an good if you're on Windows and are thus guaranteed to at least have IE on your system (because all it does is embed IE in a Firefox tab) but it won't help users on other operating systems (Macs for example). Equally people who prefer to use some other non-IE browser like Opera or Safari are also stuck.

I think the issue really is that it comes across as sloppy and/or lazy when websites refuse to work in anything but IE. The days when IE had 95%+ market share and was actually technologically better than it's main competition (ie Netscape 4) are loooong gone. These days it lags behind if anything. Besides, there's very few things you can't do in all browsers (and the things that are specific to one browser or another tend to be of the optional, nice-to-have kind anyway).

Ultimately the site needs to take payments and let you download a DRM'd music file in return. I see no reason why that can't be achieved in any browser. Of course if you try to implement that in some weird ActiveX control or something you instantly become IE+Windows only but unless I'm missing something that would be totally un-necessary.

Old 22-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Administrator

krisse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Boohoo. Get over it. IE is the market leader, Firefox can easily wait.
I don't think you understand the reality here. I'm not some militantly anti-MS activist, I'm just an ordinary user who prefers Firefox.

I don't desperately want to use Nokia Music Store, so if they won't support my browser then I'll just use someone else. I am not going to change browser just for the sake of one website, especially given IE's history of security flaws.

Nokia is starting from zero here in a very competitive market, excluding FF is a really bad way to win market share and goodwill from the internet community.

If you're running a website service, it's stupid to turn away a large chunk of your customers just because they're using the "wrong" browser. In Finland Firefox is the leading browser, so Nokia's Finnish music store is actually turning away the majority of its potential customers.

Other major web service providers support Firefox, so if Nokia wants to be taken seriously in this field they should too. It's not exactly the most difficult thing in the world to add FF support.
Internet Tablet School - Tutorials on how to use Nokia Internet Tablets

Last edited by krisse; 22-04-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Ads

Old 23-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Unregistered

" Boohoo. Get over it. IE is the market leader, Firefox can easily wait."

Tell me bill gates hacked your account, that's just a silly thing to say. Perhaps they can only sell to the country with the highest gdp too..

I am not using the nokia music store site because i don't want to install more activex junk for what can be delivered without any plugins. no sale. I really regret that, love my n95, and was so looking forward to this. But i'm not installing more s**t just to make a 'website' work.

Would love to see an s60 native client that shelled the music store tho, in a similar way to what we have seen with native youtube clients..