All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Old 10-08-2003, 08:25 AM

MrPlow is on a distinguished road
A typical noob question

Dear fellow 3650 owners,

I've been having an issue with the phone (well, I'm the issue, not the phone) and I'm hoping you guys could shed some light upon the subject.

I'm trying to install applications on my phone off the memory card, which I access through a USB card reader. I've attached a screen shot off my computer of the folder structure. The only app I have so far is the pallette extender, and that's situatied in the j:\system\apps folder. I've tried moving other SIS installation files there but I can't run or install them.

My question is, how the heck do I install .jar and .sis apps onto my phone without sending emails to my phone because they charge you an arm and a leg here for that stuff.

ANY advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

MrPlow

Old 10-08-2003, 08:44 AM

sakaveli is on a distinguished road
hi there,

basically ive never used a card reader, the best thing you can do is buying an IR connector for your pc, then all you do is install the nokia drivers for the 3650 and then just send all the files via IR and the amazing 3650 automatically puts the file into the inbox and then once you click on it, the installer will do the rest!

but 1stly load nokia pc suite, (you can get it from thier web page) and you can actually just double click on .sis files on your computer and it will install via IR.

hope thats what you needed to hear!

Old 10-08-2003, 09:03 AM

My first choice was to get an IR device but believe it or not, EVERY single phone accessory shop I went into didn't stock one! I could get a bluetooth device but I couldn't justify the cost.

Old 10-08-2003, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
MrPlow,download FExplorer ( www.gosymbian.com ) and e-mail it to your phone.Its a small file so it shouldn't cost you much.Then you will have access to your phone's file system.After that,you can send .sis and .jar files to any folder of your phone with your card reader,locate it with FExplorer,click on the file and install it.

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 10-08-2003, 11:22 AM

I'm doing it as we speak!

Blagodaram!

Old 10-08-2003, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

GhostDog will become famous soon enough
Wow! That was awesome,reading a genuine Macedonian greeting in the forum although it came from Melbourne, Victoria (state), Australia Did it work?The FExplorer thingy?

BTW: Nema problem!

Please don't PM me with something that belongs in the forums.Search first,then ask.

Old 10-08-2003, 02:23 PM

Seriously,there really nothing(other than converting files) that an MMC reader/writer can't do! just copy the whole sis/jar file to your MMC and open it by Fexplorer,its as simple as 1,2,3.got it?

Old 10-08-2003, 02:25 PM

EvIlDeViL is on a distinguished road
btw tat will be mi

Old 11-08-2003, 09:16 AM

GhostDog

Well, Sydney, Australia really. I used to live in Macedonia for a while. I could speak it almost 100% but I've forgotten a lot of it, however, I can still follow a conversation in Macedonian.

The FExplorer app works just fine! Now that I've got access to all the dirs on the phone, installing apps and games (free and shareware) is a breeze! I spent an hour playing Doom this morning! hehe

Thanks for your help guys! Now I can continue further exploration of my beloved 3650.

Next - custom operator logo, but I'll figure that out on my own.