All About Symbian - Nokia (S60) and Sony Ericsson (UIQ) smartphones unwrapped

Go Back   All About Symbian Forums > News and Comments > Article and Feature Comments

Old 22-07-2008, 06:05 PM

brendan is on a distinguished road
seems fair enough to me.

something you have written about but one cant really score is how much one likes a device. I have a e90, n95, n82 and now the iphone 3g. I like the iphone the most by far even though the other phones do more.

A small thing that nokia have really slipped up but isnt mentioned much is the deskstand. I always like them and having a deskstand for the iphone is great. why dont nokia do them? Does anyone else like them?

Old 22-07-2008, 06:25 PM

Antoine of MMM is on a distinguished road
Hello Steve; I don't want to come off too harsh concerning your article. I think its quite a timely and appropriate evaluation. However, my issue is with your scoring system, rather than the outcome or even the process.

You use a system based on a 20 point system. However, you don't really mention how those 20 points are weighted. If you will, it allows you to just throw points out there for whatever reason and then we the readers have to guess at whether 16 points for the #1 item is the same as 16 points in #9. Is it possible that you can explain the methodology behind the 20 point scoring system. For me personally, it would add considerable value to this evaluation from the scoring perspective, and then (possibly_ provide a chart for you/AAS to evalute devices on a similar scale in later compairsons.

If that's not possible, as that's not exactly a simple request; may I make the recommendation that your scoring system be simplified to a simple 1-2-3 kind of format. The item that wins gets a 3, the item that is worst gets a 1. A simplified scoring system, with some measureable metrics (for example, in #1 you mention time to complete, keypress amounts, and efficient user interfaces as measured items; the first two are consistent based on the fact that it is just you testing them, and the last one is opinon; this makes your scoring system hold value in the eyes of those who might not be as fast, but see the interface as more efficient).

In the paragraph you mention "other relevant factors" which may very well be the case that there are other factors, but without a breakdown of how those effect your 20 point scoring system, it (again) becomes very subjective to the tester (not the user).

Again, please do not take this as being a harsh critism; I think this is probably one of the better types of comparative reviews that I've read from you. However, the validity of the review is marred because of your imbalances in the scoring. In such a high profile review, I'm not sure that AAS should have to answer to any biases because of testing methodology inconsistancies.

Old 22-07-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
A small thing that nokia have really slipped up but isnt mentioned much is the deskstand. I always like them and having a deskstand for the iphone is great. why dont nokia do them?
They did do stands a few years ago, one of them let you make videophone calls on 3G models that didn't have a front camera, another had built-in stereo speakers so you could use the phone as a hi-fi. Presumably they didn't sell very well because there haven't been any new official stands since then, though there might be some third party stands on ebay etc.

However, if you just want something to prop the phone up, there is a built-in stand around the camera lens on the N96, and the Nokia internet tablets come with much bigger built-in stands along their full length.

Old 22-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Unregistered

web page rendering

I think the aspect you missed is how fast does each device render a full web page?

It has to be said the n95 browser renders full pages very slowly, it's painful. You really need Opera Mini as well. It works good on mobile sites, though.

Old 22-07-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Tzer2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It has to be said the n95 browser renders full pages very slowly, it's painful. You really need Opera Mini as well. It works good on mobile sites, though
Have you tried it on wi-fi or 3.5g? It's pretty nippy with those kinds of connections, especially on the latest firmware.

The Opera Mini thing is another debate altogether of course, should phones render pages at all? There are good arguments on both sides...

Old 22-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Unregistered

Angry

why are you even including an s60 phone in the comparison?
For one thing, the contacts section sucks. So does calendar. As does messaging. Dont tell me I am abnormal for wanting to do all these things.Also got to pay $$ for all the stuff other people take for granted. Someone has already mentioned skyequikey (simiilar functionality available in latest SEs at no extra cost). Same goes for sms/call managers, a list of recently text'd contacts(WOW). Etc etc
Real people buy s40 or uiq phones.
It is not about cost either.
If you have ever used a p1i or a z8 or a 6270(as you have, steve), you'll know.
- a former e90 user.
P.s. I havent been a nokia user for 15 years, but I have been one for seven years. JUST GIVE ME A PHONE. I have an n800 for all the other stuff.

Old 22-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

bartmanekul is on a distinguished road
Here here, with smartphones becoming mini computers, lets see a return of deskstands.

Old 22-07-2008, 10:21 PM

Williamoni is on a distinguished road
Nice test Steve.

One point though - using the phone to make phone calls is very important and I would be interested to see how the devices compare on that too.

Old 22-07-2008, 10:45 PM

notmicro is on a distinguished road
Really wish that you had compared syncing Calendar / Contacts via both USB and Bluetooth. So far I haven't found a single iPhone 3G review which mentions if it finally supports sync via Bluetooth. Even an ancient, long-gone Nokia of mine could sync everything over Bluetooth no problem.

Other "fun categories" for comparison would be Voice Dialing, Ringer Profiles, Tethering, Voice Memos, Java support. The iPhone inexplicably continues to do a total face-plant in several of these categories.

Old 22-07-2008, 10:54 PM

fbloise is on a distinguished road
Simply not fair

For RSS reading you use Google reader...

And since this is a S60 based website, you will (believe me!) always make nokia win.

I do have the nokia 6120 classic, but right know the iPhone 3G is way better than the N95. Why?
Because people wants hassle free stuff, with the nokia you need to learn the good 'ol way.
but with the iPhone, even my granma can use it.

Your metrics aren't fair, since nokia (and winMo) aren't the easy to use as you keep guys saying.

iPhone wins hands down.

Old 23-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Mr Fabulous

I own both the iPhone 3G and the N95 8GB. And I enjoy using both on different occasions.

Steve, one very real 'real world' gauge ought to be the sheer pleasure of using the device, regardless of what you may be doing... the way one interfaces with this device that resides somewhere on their person almost all waking hours of the day, and how they experience hitches and slowdowns on the device.

iPhone: 19
N95: 12
HTC: 8

A fair assessment?

Old 23-07-2008, 06:14 AM
kesu

why are you even including an s60 phone in the comparison?
For one thing, the contacts section sucks. So does calendar. As does messaging. Dont tell me I am abnormal for wanting to do all these things.Also got to pay $$ for all the stuff other people take for granted. Someone has already mentioned skyequikey (simiilar functionality available in latest SEs at no extra cost). Same goes for sms/call managers, a list of recently text'd contacts(WOW). Etc etc
Real people buy s40 or uiq phones.
It is not about cost either.
If you have ever used a p1i or a z8 or a 6270(as you have, steve), you'll know.
- a former e90 user.
P.s. I havent been a nokia user for 15 years, but I have been one for seven years. JUST GIVE ME A PHONE. I have an n800 for all the other stuff.

I totally agree with you!!!!!!
Ads

Old 23-07-2008, 07:05 AM

ashu is on a distinguished road
Push Mail

Hi Steve,

You missed out on the push mail point. You don't even need to go to GMAIL Apps on your mobile on Nokia N95. You can download Seven on your mobile and it works like the Blackberry Push mail service with support for attachments.

I use it on my Nokia N82 and have got my Work mail, gmail, hotmail (surprise, surprise! not even supported by Blackberry), and yahoo accounts configured on Seven. It gets pushed into my inbox automatically without a second't delay. You can compose a mail from any of your accounts and add attachments.

I suggest you guys do a review of Seven's push mail technology.

You will feel I am bit biased but no, it is absolutely fantabulous....

Old 23-07-2008, 07:30 AM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmicro View Post
Other "fun categories" for comparison would be Voice Dialing, Ringer Profiles, Tethering, Voice Memos, Java support. The iPhone inexplicably continues to do a total face-plant in several of these categories.
Yup, iPhone is still lacking a MIDlet Manager - in which particularly the N95 is very strong (support for far more JSR's; higher speed etc), much stronger than the Diamond. Now that Apple / Sun announced forthcoming support for Java, the situation may change, however.

BTW, as far as tethering is concerned, you all may be interested in my latest Bible: http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/forum...ad.php?t=74018 . It compares Windows Mobile and Symbian VERY thoroughly, also elaborating on the third-party products like WHS and Joiku.

Old 23-07-2008, 07:32 AM

Menneisyys is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbloise View Post
For RSS reading you use Google reader...

And since this is a S60 based website, you will (believe me!) always make nokia win.

I do have the nokia 6120 classic, but right know the iPhone 3G is way better than the N95. Why?
Because people wants hassle free stuff, with the nokia you need to learn the good 'ol way.
but with the iPhone, even my granma can use it.

Your metrics aren't fair, since nokia (and winMo) aren't the easy to use as you keep guys saying.

iPhone wins hands down.

You're right the iPhone is way easier to use than either of the two competing systems. However, the latter are far more featureful at most areas and, in cases, have better hardware (for example the N95's excellent camera compared to the mediocre one in the iPhone and the acceptable - but in no way excellent - one in the Diamond).

Last edited by Menneisyys; 23-07-2008 at 08:13 AM.